Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

I am tired of being on the defensive because I don't speak Spanish--so, since I'm retired, I am learning Spanish. The best way to learn a language is via immersion, and in So. Cal, and with the Internet, I am immersed. I am learning it via free Internet courses, and by watching tv. I learn it by reading both sides of the bills I receive.

Friends have said, "oh, are you going to Mexico, once you learn it?" Not on your life--if I go anywhere, it will be to Spain. I intend to use it, so I can understand the insults, and batherings I hear around me. I intend to use it against the legal landscapers, who all of a sudden, can't speak English, when I call them on their not doing the job we agreed upon. I intend to use the term vosotros and nosotros (used in Spain, but not in Mexico). I will play games with any who insist on Spanish--a third world language.

I have a lovely, legal Mexican lady who cleans my house. I don't cook since my husband loves to cook. However, I make lunch for my house helper--otherwise, she wouldn't eat. Ten years ago, we couldn't speak--except via sign language. Today, we speak in English. She is much smarter than her husband, (who I fired 9 years ago). (He stole my RoundUp, lied, was unreliable, etc.) She knows I am learning Spanish. She laughed when I told her I think it is a very machismo language--way too much emphasis on masculine/feminine; ie, el/la. I told her I got very angry after learning that if you are referring to a group of 9 female cats and ONE male cat, that the whole group has to be referred to in the masculine--los gatos. We laugh at Spanish tv--and I thought channels in English focused on lack of morality.......

I can only do my small part, part of which is to learn Spanish. I do believe we are being invaded. I do believe we are being manipulated, by politicians and by the media. Therefore, my strategy is to know thy enemy. This includes watching main stream news to see what manipulation they are currently pushing, and watching Spanish tv to see what messages they are spewing.

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    socalcracker, I admire your initiative to do this considering where you live. I can understand that it would be for defensive purposes down there.

Up here we Americans who speak English are a majority still and so I refuse to bow down to the Spanish speaking illegals here who think Americans need to accomodate them.

The landlords maintenance guy has yelled at our son in Spanish, although he speaks perfectly fine in English. I called him and the landlord on it and told him it was rude.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

socalcracker......Spains Spanish is different. They tried to bring Spanish teachers here from Spain to get this Bi-lingual crap going and had to let them go since the Mexicans couldn't understand them either.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Dialects, and a mix of indigenous language mixed with Spanish, like a Cajun's French!!
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

GFC
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanElizabeth
    Dialects, and a mix of indigenous language mixed with Spanish, like a Cajun's French!!
    Castilian spanish is much more pleasant to the ears than the indigenous accented spanish spoken in Mexico.

Do they talk at a normal rate as well?

I see the news for the Spanish speaking networks and I cannot see how they can understand it, they speak too fast (and how do they pay attention with the female anchor persons bustline hanging out?).

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy
    A couple of weeks ago, I was in a department store. Standing in line behind me were two hispanic women (I would guess in their 30s). The entire time we were all standing in line, they were very loud, laughing and talking in spanish. I felt so uncomfortable. I felt as if they were talking about me since I could not understand what they were saying. I think that talking in another language when you are in public is definitely rude and disrespectful.
    This happened to me in the groery store I used to shop at. The bagger and cashier were jiving in spanish. Me and and fiance said "what's so funny?" and called them on it. We said "what country are you in?" They said United States. I then said "speak English and save the spanish for your home or in your car it is very rude to be carrying on like this in another language. Learn some manners."

Both of them were stunned, we both shook our heads and said this is the last trip to this store.

I then wrote the grocery store corporation adn the store manager however I never got a response.
    "What part of illegal don't you understand?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12