Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

A personal dilemma

I am trying to hire someone to take care of my sons while I work 3 days a week. I put out an ad, and lo and behold a nice gal walks in to interview.

Problem is, I'm not sure of her legal status. Maybe folks here could help.

She's from Ecquador ... but she's been here 7 years. She speaks English well, already has her associates degree from a local community college (obviously did not receive any help to get it) And this gal is way above your typical illegal alien who has just crossed the border. She is put together, speaks well, understands well, etc., plans to continue her education, etc., provided me a well written resume and CPR training, all that. She also dates an Air Force guy who she is planning to marry. She seems very mature for her age.

She says she's working through a lawyer to get her Visa? What does this mean? Is she legal to work? It seems SHE is trying to go through the legal channels, but I'm not sure she is legal to hire. She does have a drivers license.

I only need her part time, so I'm not even sure it matters.

So, here I am, this big advocate AGAINST illegals, but it seems I may need to hire one!

Just wondering if anyone could fill me on on this student VISA status stuff.

Legal residents are not citizens but green card or visa holders. Ask her for her documentation. She should have a passport and a visa. Check the dates! Make sure it is current. An expired card, could be someone else's card.

Visas are issued to people allowed into the US to work. It's a work visa. She should currently have a student visa.

No matter what she says, she must have the propper documents to work here legally. If not, don't hire her because you really don't know who she is. Illegal aliens lie about who they are and she could have a criminal record in Ecquador and you wouldn't want her around your kids. Also, no health screen was done on her if she is illegal.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Dixie wrote
    Also, no health screen was done on her if she is illegal.
    Obviously a real big issue since she will be with your kids! That was my first thought while reading your post.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

If she is in America and says that she has a lawyer working on a visa for her then she is an illegal alien. Legal immigrants put in for visas in their country of origin. If she is here without one then she has broken our laws and will be turned down for that visa automatically when she applies.

She could be here on a legally issued student visa but not have a legal right to work.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

If you plan to claim the child care expenses on your tax return, then you will need her SSN or EIN (Employer Id number -- for businesses, in this case, a daycare center). If she does not have a SSN, an EIN, or a "Taxpayer ID number" (given to illegal aliens who apply to "become legal" so they can pay tax while they're waiting -- similar in size and shape to a SSN card, but whitish), then she is not legally able to work in the US.

It may be hard to say NO to this woman who seems to be upstanding, except for her little snub at the immigration laws. Stand strong. Do what is RIGHT, even if that means finding someone else or changing your plans so you don't need a sitter.
    Proud wife of an undocumented ICE agent.
    Definition of a RACIST according to Madeline Cosman : Real American Committed to Integrity Sovereignty and Truth

I agree with the others. I wouldn't hire her without seeing documents proving she has legal status. No way.

Hi
    i agree this is how we got into this mess.
    i know it is hard, but surely there is someone else
    you can hire.

Well, it turns out that she called me this evening and pressured me into hiring her by Friday due to visa issues or something else. I just don't want to be pressured, number one, just so they can get her status, and the whole status thing is still unclear.

It's sad, but they've got to get through the process. I think she's probably been working in places where they just don't check anything.

To her credit, she seems like she's a good gal, and would work hard, but I don't like being pressured.

Iv'e decided to go through a nanny agency, and to pay the bucks to have them search for me, do the screening, etc. It will be hard to pay it, but it's bettter for peace of mind, and legality issues.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments.

i also agree with everyone here. you are hiring someone to watch your kids not cut your lawn. i would never leave my kid with anyone without documentation. if she has no problem breaking our immigration laws, she is obviously a person who ignores what is inconvinent to her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast