Police: Shots fired at Trump sign hanging outside Cary home

Posted 12:22 p.m. today
Updated 7:11 p.m. today

More on this

Find News Near Me

Cary, N.C. — Cary police were investigating Sunday afternoon after someone fired shots at a Donald Trump campaign sign in front of a home on Morrisville Carpenter Road near the intersection with N.C. Highway 55.
The incident happened late Saturday outside James Powers’ home, and Powers said another Trump sign about 1 mile away was burned during the early-morning hours on Oct. 30.
No injuries were reported, but Powers said about 20 shots were fired at the sign, and some bullets hit the home sometime between 7 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. Saturday. The sign was hanging on the front porch.
Powers said he found the damage to the sign after returning home from dinner with his son, and immediately called Cary police.
"I don't try to speculate on the what-ifs. The good thing is, every bit of this can be replaced. He's safe, I'm safe, but it's disappointing," he said.
Police said the shots likely came from a BB gun or a pellet rifle, but the investigation is ongoing.
According to a police report, damage was also done to a window and glass door, which had a combined value of about $1,500.
Powers said he doesn't think anyone would have any motive to shoot at his home other than the campaign signs on his porch.
"As an American citizen, my right to choose is my right to choose. I've never picked up somebody else's sign, hurt somebody else's sign," he said. "I don't understand why at this election, it has to be so much violence when we're the deplorable."
Powers said he won't take down his Trump sign, and he also said his home isn't the first to have signs damaged.
"This is actually the fourth police report about destruction to Trump signs," he said. "This is where we live. This is where we come for sanctuary. It should be a safe place."
http://www.wral.com/cary-man-says-so...orch/16205584/