Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Portuguesse do not want to be labelled Hispanic

A teacher in South Florida wrote a letter to the Miami Herald claiming that Portuguesse speaking countries are considered Lusitanic and not Hispanic. She also went on to say that Brazil and Angola are Portuguesse speaking. It just shows the ignorance of some of the Hispanics.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Wear a sign then. Christ I'm part German but I don't know if I'm from the west or the east half. And I'm sure there's someone that would be "offended" by being placed in with "those" people. There's Irish and I'm not sure which group that my ancestors were from and then there's Sioux Indian and I'm not sure what other tribe they may not have gotten along with and I'm not sure if there's a split in the French and English part of me......but everybody doesn't like them anyway. Geeze..........get a sign or wear a shirt or something.......coz lord knows I don't want to be confused with a Scott or Ausie or any other of "those" people.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It's kind of splitting hairs I think. While technically Portugal is separate from Spain, they were all once one country. They were all part of the Iberian peninsula. The Portugese settled what is now Brazil. Spain settled other parts of Central and South America. But, like I said, both Portugal and Spain were once one country.

This is just my own opinion here, but I think that maybe the Portuguese-speaking people see the animosity that is building among Americans over the illegal immigration issue. And since the great majority of illegals are Spanish-speaking, this might be an attempt to distance themselves from them.

This is just my own opinion here, but I think that maybe the Portuguese-speaking people see the animosity that is building among Americans over the illegal immigration issue. And since the great majority of illegals are Spanish-speaking, this might be an attempt to distance themselves from them
    I'm sure it is.......but how far can you go with this? I'm so confused.

Banned
    Well, I'm half 'Portagee' and don't want to be labelled anything but American! I'm sure the vast majority of Portuguese-Americans feel the same way. To be lumped into a group of anarchists with no loyalty to this country would offend anyone.

To be lumped into a group of anarchists with no loyalty to this country would offend anyone.
    It should, but it doesn't really work out that way.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Well, I'm half 'Portagee' and don't want to be labelled anything but American! I'm sure the vast majority of Portuguese-Americans feel the same way. To be lumped into a group of anarchists with no loyalty to this country would offend anyone.
    Ya.....you're right about that. I'm part German and sure don't want to be labeled a Commie or a member of the KKK. I just hope they're legal and standing up for secure borders and not adding to the list of "offenses" one can commit.

Banned
    My 'other half' is German and Norwegian, but I'm 110% AMERICAN.

The Portuguese have been fighting the 'Hispanic' label for centuries, it's nothing new. All the ones I know are against illegal immigration from ANY country, including Portugal!

One country?

When were Portugal and Spain once one country? Under the moors?

Banned

Re: One country?

Quote Originally Posted by artclam
    When were Portugal and Spain once one country? Under the moors?
    Actually, they were jointly governed under the Romans and later the Visigoths. Portugal first split from the rest of the peninsula during the Moorish occupation,and it eventually gained full independence. It was subordinated under Spanish rule again under Philip II and for about 70 years, but has been independent since then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast