I think I'm seeing that as the price of gasoline drops frustration with Republican Party candidates is dropping, too. Obama was clearly disengenuous in blaming President Bush for the high prices in early summer anyway. How far down will gasoline go? Watching CNBC news many are predicting crude oil to drop back below $100/barrel very soon. (Three years ago predictions of $70/barrel sent shivers....) Economic slowing in Europe, following the US slowdown is probably a big factor. But Chinese demand will have to drop for a serious crash in crude oil prices, IMO.

So what does this mean for the election and immigration enforcement? An Obama win and gains in Congress by Democrats would spell HUGE trouble for immigration enforcement. We only escaped the Amnesty movement because of filibustering. If the Senate vote had moved ahead and won, only the US House of Representatives would have given us a prayer of stopping it. So this is how US House races look this week:
http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?d ... ings-house

They have a map to show just how liberal (Blue) a Congressional District is. The solid blue I would write off as gone. But the lighter blue and pink states could use some conservative campaigning. And if your Democrat candidate is an enforcement activist.... hallelujah!.
http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?parm1=28

So...let's assume that gasoline has dropped somewhere into the high two dollar range by November. People have learned to live with the 40% rise from three years ago. People are becoming evermore suspicious of Barack Obama and McCain hasn't croaked. The balance of power in the US Congress has not shifted significantly. How do we stop McCain from pushing for Comprehensive Immigration Reform?

My thought is for the House Immigration Caucus to sit down with him for a serious lesson. McCain is trying to be the noble, moderate Conservative; but he is so out of touch with ordinary Americans he can't see what immigration is doing to them. This is where House Republicans could play a strategic role.

And another thing. Keep driving less and less!