Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Program helps Hispanic kids get licenses

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi-bi ... _23-13/NBH

Community Calendar
    Community Groups
    2006 Calendar

Program helps Hispanic kids get licenses

By WENDI WINTERS, For The Capital
    Shortly after the final bell rang for the day, 16-year-old Alan Olvera slid behind the wheel of the dark car and began to adjust his seat. Narrowing his gaze, he looked for familiar buttons and gears.

Not long ago, Alan lived in Mexico City, but he's now living in Annapolis. He understands most of the English that swirls around him, but prefers to speak in Spanish. He attends Annapolis High School's ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) Program as a junior.

Another junior, Eastport resident Juana Mendoza, 16, formerly of Oaxaca, Mexico, clambered into the back seat to await her turn at the wheel.

Outside the car was a whirlwind named Euces "Lissy" Carrillo, the high school's outreach liaison. Wearing heels that would give the average woman vertigo, she spun around the car, talking non-stop in Spanglish - a chunky blend of English and Spanish - making sure the teenagers were ready for their driving lesson. Tiny butterfly clips in her red hair glittered in the sunlight.

The two students are participants in the only high school program of its kind in the county, and, Mrs. Carrillo asserts, in the state. In collaboration with Alfredo's Driving School, the students are enrolled in bilingual after-school driving lessons in preparation for their MVA driving tests.

Schools throughout the county collaborate with driving academies to make sure their students meet the requirements to take the tests for their driver's licenses. At Broadneck High School, the PTSO sponsors a driving academy, allowing it to rent the school parking lot for lessons after school hours.

"This program is for the Spanish-speaking ESOL students at Annapolis High School," Mrs. Carrillo said. "The instruction is bilingual. The classes are in both languages and the driving instruction is done in Spanish. Their driving test at the MVA is done in English and they are prepared to handle that. Before they get to that point, they learn the laws in English and everything is carefully explained to them."

Willians Castillo of Laurel has owned the driving school for five years, four of them in Annapolis. The school charges the students $280 for 36 hours of instruction. English-language driving courses in the Annapolis area average $350.

"He's helping us out on the price," explained Mrs. Carrillo. "Because many of the ESOL kids are from low-income families, he agreed to a lower price. The students' parents who need to get a driver's license can go through the same type of classes directly through his academy at 111 Chinquapin Round Road."

"They wouldn't be able to pass the driver's test without preparation, and this is offered in their native language," said Peggy Wheeler, ESOL department chairman. "It's an incentive to stay in school. They have to be a current student to participate in this program. They need those school records to go to the MVA."

A recent class had 14 graduates. More than 60 ESOL students have taken the course over the past two years.

"Every one got their license," Mrs. Carrillo noted proudly, addint that "35 got their license last year through Alfredo's after-school program."

Mrs. Carrillo is the gatekeeper for the program.

"To attend, students have to have good attendance in their high school classes, exhibit good behavior and follow directions. If they're not mature enough, I take them out," she said.

"The class is good," Alan nodded.

Sophomore Omar Herrera, formerly of Pueblo, Mexico, agreed. A graduate of the course, he said, "It's a privilege to have a license in Maryland because it allows me to do other stuff and be safe when I'm driving around. I can drive to work as a dishwasher at a restaurant in Arnold."

Juana chimed in: "Next year I can drive to school. So I'll ask for a parking pass. I'll be able to help my parents with their errands. It's a terrific opportunity for an immigrant to get a driver's license through the high school."

Mr. Castillo pointed out that the cars for ESOL students are similar to those used by other driving schools - they come equipped with a second brake that an instructor can tap to prevent accidents by the novices.

"Before last year, only those under 18 had to take lessons to get a driver's license. Now everybody who needs a license has to take lessons," he said. "There's also a six-month period between the time you get a learner's permit and when you can apply for a provisional driver's license. A few years back, it was only a two-week period."

The ESOL program is active in Annapolis, Glen Burnie and Old Mill high schools. At Annapolis High, there are more than 200 Hispanic students in the school, but not all are enrolled in ESOL. The ESOL program currently has 187 students, including a Russian, a Ukrainian, a Turkish student and four from El Salvador.

Some ESOL students spend a year in the high school's "Newcomers" courses, a Title 3 program that helps to get them up to speed for a year or more before they're placed in regular ESOL classes.

"For some, it's the first time they have ever laid hands on a computer," said Dr. Marcy Rodriguez, one of the Newcomers program instructors. "We use computers extensively in the classes, and also teach them American Sign Language. It helps them learn to speak English. Some classes, like math, are co-taught by a math instructor and an ESOL teacher, to lend extra support to ESOL students."

Mrs. Carrillo, married to Coast Guard careerist Carlos Carrillo, said the driving program idea came from her students.

"My primary job is as a liaison, a link, between parents and the school. I interpret and translate documents and the school newsletter for the parents," she said. "The kids came to me and requested things. They told me the driving schools gave lessons in English and they had difficulty understanding everything. I met with Willians Castillo. He wanted to use Annapolis High as a way to let students know about bilingual driving lessons. I worked on the paperwork and documentation to make it happen."

As with English-speaking students, Hispanic students with learner's permits must complete 60 hours of driving practice, including 10 at night.

They also need to provide several forms of identification. Mrs. Carrillo explained that school records are primary documents, as are baptismal certificates. Bank statements can be secondary documents, and they must produce a third type of documentation like bills listing their home address or savings bonds.

"The kids needed driver's licenses to get their parents to their workplace or to medical appointments," said Mrs. Carrillo. "This course helps reduce some of the stress in their new environment."

To contact Alfredo's Driving School, call 410-266-8192 or e-mail alfredosdriving@aol.com.

Next Neighborhoods story
    Neighborhoods Page
    Top Stories Page

Published October 23, 2006, The Capital, Annapolis, Md.
    Copyright © 2006 The Capital, Annapolis, Md.

Top Stories | Search | Classifieds | Archive | Local Directory | Buy the paper | Contact Us | Poll
    Index | Home | Sports | Police Beat | Opinion | Obituaries | Lively Events | Neighborhoods | Photos
    Copyright © 2006 The Capital
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Oh well - my nuanced wit defeated by the blunting power of electronic text.

[Too much empty space in the first post.]
    Alia of the Knife

"I am a messenger from Muad'Dib. Poor Emperor. I'm afraid my brother won't be very pleased with you."

Senior Member NoIllegalsAllowed's Avatar
    The last place illegals should be is behind a wheel where they can kill someone and get away with it.
    Free Ramos and Compean NOW!

They also need to provide several forms of identification. Mrs. Carrillo explained that school records are primary documents, as are baptismal certificates. Bank statements can be secondary documents, and they must produce a third type of documentation like bills listing their home address or savings bonds.
    What about a birth certificate and social security card??

"The kids needed driver's licenses to get their parents to their workplace or to medical appointments," said Mrs. Carrillo. "This course helps reduce some of the stress in their new environment."

MD Drivers License

My kid had a state issued ID cards that I obtained for her and had to produce her birth certificate & SS card. I did it becasue we were traveling and I got her Visa Bucks cards.

When we went to get her learners permit in Aug. And my other daughter in Sept. My daughters name on her Birth Certificate did not match Social Security Records for some reason this time, she was denied her permit, but what was amazing was all the apparent illegals walking out with a license. Both of my daughters were asked if the wanted to take the test in spanish as an automatic question to everyperson in the line. Amazing I thought I lived in a suburb of the Nations Capitol.

THE REASON IT DID NOT MATCH WAS HER FATHERS NAME WAS MISSING FROM THE SOCIAL SECURITY RECORDS AND HER BIRTH CERTIFICATE LISTED HER LAST NAME AS A COMBINATION OF BOTH OF OUR LAST NAMES. The reason it was missing the hospital did not send it to Social Security office when she was born. I just wonder if she was illegal if I would have had such a problem.

It is amazing that any illegal is allowed to get a license anywhere in this country. They will be having accidents with no insurance and the poor citizens are the ones who will pay for this. It is sickening.

GQ

Aren't these some of the same people who keep screaming about having to procure a photo ID for voting purposes? They seem to have no problem whatsoever helping these guys get driver's licenses. But, they'd probably pitch a fit if they were told they had to get an ID to vote.

Illegal aliens cannot get a driver's license in Maryland

Illegal aliens cannot get a driver's license in Maryland. Take a look at http://www.marylandmva.com/DriverServ/Apply/proof.htm

Illegal aliens cannot get a driver's license in Maryland
    I live in Maryland. I don't agree that illegal aliens cannot get a driver's license in Maryland.

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... aryland%2A