Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Proposal to Provide In-State College Tuition for Illegal Img

http://edworkforce.house.gov/press/pres ... visory.htm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    August 28, 2006 CONTACT: Lindsey Mask or Steve Forde
    Telephone: (202) 225-4527

Controversial U.S. Senate Proposal to Provide
    In-State College Tuition for Illegal Immigrants Among
    Higher Education Topics to be Examined

FRIDAY, September 1st in Greeley, Colorado
    WASHINGTON, D.C. – On Friday, September 1, 2006 at 9:00 a.m. (MT), the U.S. House Committee on Education & the Workforce, chaired by Rep. Howard P. “Buck” McKeon (R-CA), will hold a hearing on “Paying for College: Higher Education and the American Taxpayer” at the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley, Colorado. Congresswoman Marilyn Musgrave (R-CO) will join McKeon in leading the hearing.

Two panels of witnesses will testify at Friday’s hearing. The first panel will provide testimony on a provision of the U.S. Senate-passed immigration bill to repeal a 1996 federal law that prohibits states from offering in-state tuition rates to illegal immigrants unless that state also offers the same benefit to all U.S. citizens. The provision has been the subject of increased scrutiny as Congress works toward sending border security legislation to President Bush.

The second panel will provide insights on the record $90 billion in federal aid provided annually to students attending college, including new grant, loan, and other benefits enacted earlier this year to expand college access. As a new school year begins – and college costs continue to rise – increasing student aid remains a priority inside and outside the Washington Beltway.

WHAT: Hearing on “Paying for College: Higher Education and the American Taxpayer”

WHO: Rep. Howard P. “Buck” McKeon (R-CA) – Chairman, U.S. House Education Committee

Rep. Marilyn Musgrave (R-CO) – Member, U.S. House Education Committee

WHEN: Friday, September 1, 2006, 9:00 a.m. (MT)

WHERE: University of Northern Colorado, University Center, Panorama Room, Greeley, Colorado

2045 10th Avenue, Greeley, Colorado

WITNESS LIST

PANEL I:

Hon. Cory Gardner
    Colorado State Representative
    63rd District
    Yuma, Colorado

Professor Kris Kobach
    Professor of Law
    University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law
    Kansas City, Missouri

PANEL II:

Theresa S. Shaw
    Chief Operating Officer
    Office of Federal Student Aid
    U.S. Department of Education
    Washington, D.C.

Debra L. DeMuth
    Director
    College Access Network
    Denver, Colorado

***Other witnesses and participating Members may be announced.

--------------------------------------------

Committee on Education and the Workforce
    U. S. House of Representatives
    2181 Rayburn House Office Building
    Washington, D.C. 20515
    (202) 225-4527

Chairman of the House Committee on Education and the Workforce
    Howard P. “Buck” McKeon

109th Congress Members and Jurisdictions
    http://edworkforce.house.gov/members/members.htm

Cool!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This really just takes the cake, especially when we have vets coming home from Iraq and being charged out of state tuition because they have been out of country. it must make them feel so good and well taken care of by our government for the sacrifices they made to go to that hell hole Iraq and Afghanistan in the first place!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Quote Originally Posted by nittygritty
    This really just takes the cake, especially when we have vets coming home from Iraq and being charged out of state tuition because they have been out of country. it must make them feel so good and well taken care of by our government for the sacrifices they made to go to that hell hole Iraq and Afghanistan in the first place!
    That's how I paid for my college. Missouri and Illinois were both willing to pay for all of my tuition. I came out of Desert Storm and had a free ride. I don't know what state your referring too, but I had it pretty good. Grants, scholarships, and the GI Bill.
    <div>"You know your country is dying when you have to make a distinction between what is moral and ethical, and what is legal." -- John De Armond</div>

ArticleIV
    I either heard this on radio talk show or read it on net news. I was shocked when I heard this, I thought it was just about the most awful thing to treat our vets like this. I will try to find a link about this by if nothing else googling it. I wondered how they got away with giving instate tuition to illegals and denying our vets instate tuition from states they resided in but happened to be out of country for over a year serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. I have a nephew fighting in Ramidi Iraq, he told his dad he heard this same news! I will see if I can find a link.

Article1V, here is the article on the Tx Vet returning from Iraq and being asked to pay out of state tuition!
    Something you can do to help our military
    There’s a chance for every one of us to do something tomorrow for the men and women who defend our freedoms. But first a little background.

You may have read about the returning serviceman in Texas. A state community college there denied him the reduced in-state tuition rate. The university decided he was no longer a Texas resident. He had spent too much time living in Iraq (Two tours of duty with the Marines).

Well, thanks in part to the Fort Worth Star Telegram and other news organizations shining a little light on things, the college decided the former Marine was a resident of Texas after all.
    http://johninnorthcarolina.blogspot.com ... p-our.html

Now, Betsy Newmark, guest blogging at Michelle Malkin, posts concerning the extraordinary problems a university student experienced at his school when his National Guard unit was called to active duty, first in New York City after 9/11 and later in Iraq.

The problems were not unlike what many experience in higher ed (Profs who don’t respond to messages, administrators with an “I’ll find a rule to make this harder” attitude, etc.). But in this case, they were shameful because they were so obviously hurting a student/soldier serving his country.

Example, the soldier got knocked for not having a small check in to the bursar's office by a certain date. Why not? He was in transit to Iraq at the time, and his duffle with checkbook was on a ship he could not reach. Not good enough for us, the bursar's office declared.

A little common sense? Even some gratitude, maybe?

Things eventually worked out, but not before the university president got involved.

The student/soldier seems to have no bitterness toward his university. In fact, he’s offered a constructive suggestion: Assign a kind of ombudsman to advocate for students with military backgrounds.

Betsy likes that idea. I’ll bet most of us do too.

Now here’s something we all can do.

Tomorrow morning call or e-mail the office of a top administrator at a university or college to ask what the school is doing to take care of the special needs of the people who defend this country?

Is there an administrator assigned to do that?

As the academic year begins, what's being done? Is more planned? Has a memo been sent to all administrators and faculty reminding them of how the school treats students whose military service may create special needs?

You get the idea.

Tomorrow, I plan to call the office of the President of the University of North Carolina system, Molly Broad.

I’ll post on what happens. Let me know what you experience. I'll include at least some of your comments in a post.

If you make the call or send the e-mail, tomorrow evening when you put your head on the pillow you’ll be able to say, “Today I did a good thing for our great military people in Iraq and all over the globe.”

: