Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Question! Which Agency Should I Report This To?

Hope this is posted in the right place and that someone can offer some suggestions to be sure this heads toward the proper authorities.

A former tenant, whom I evicted over a year ago, wants me to write a letter verifying tenancy since 1999. These people are illegal aliens and claim they need this for immigration purposes.

I can't verify tenancy since 1999 as there's no record of them being here then. Also, because of the amount of fraudulent activity which was generating from this property, I also do not write "open letters" for any reason. They need to be going to a specific person, at a specific agency, for a specific reason, and I will fax them where I'm told they are supposed to be going.

So, just a few minutes ago we received a phone call, at home....not my office.....from a blocked number. A woman on the other end told my husband that she is with Immigration and they were demanding a letter be written immediately on behalf of these people or else there could be serious legal ramifications. My husband told her he does not handle those things so he'd put her on the line with me. As soon as I got on the line, this woman hung up.

Upon being called back the woman who answered denied any such call had been made.

Needless to say, I am not going to be bullied by liars. So, my question is this: Who do I report this impersonation of an Immigration employee to?

Secondly: Does anyone know if, there is a legitimate inquiry from Immigration, there will be something on official letterhead describing what a person needs to obtain? Will Immigration contact a former landlord, for instance, themselves if they are seeking information on a person?

I just think that would be a handy thing to know for future reference.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Immigration doesn’t call on Saturday morning
    there’s about 10 billion things wrong here…
    You can start with the phone company and block all non id numbers from here on out... Then go fro phone harassment
    Then there are many other things to do call immigration your self on Monday and report the name I don’t see any one asking for verification after 9 years for any thing sounds real funny on all aspects...
    Report to deport start with fraud

Secondly: Does anyone know if, there is a legitimate inquiry from Immigration, there will be something on official letterhead describing what a person needs to obtain? Will Immigration contact a former landlord, for instance, themselves if they are seeking information on a person?
    Yes the do look back and
    It will always be in writing

azweath,

What ever you do, do not send the letter directly to your former tenant. They will alter the document. Send it directly to immigration or don't send it at all. Include the fact that they were evicted because that will be a determining factor in their application for citizenship. You have to prove that you are financially able to support yourself to become a citizen and that would prove they can not. Who really knows why they need that letter. It could be to establish credit, to get another residence...

The next time you get a call from those clowns, demand that all future correspondence be in writing.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I am in agreement with previous comments. DEMAND to get a contact that is not personal - the gummint contact. Then, during business hours, verify that contact via web directory and phone. Do NOT cave in here. Really, what can they do to you???? Nada, that's what.

On Monday, call and find out who you report impersonation of an official to. Definitely stand your ground here.

Call ICE and turn them they are trying to run a scam on you.
    Some people are alive only because there are laws against killing them.

Quote Originally Posted by BetsyRoss
    On Monday, call and find out who you report impersonation of an official to.
    I suggest starting with your police department and the fraud division.

Dixie

I highly doubt it.

As Dixie said, start with your local police and tell them of the fraudulent call. Maybe they can refer you to where to go next. Let them know you feel this is a serious matter in that someone is trying to run an immigration scam and you want solid advice on how to proceed. Also, make sure that they log in at least a short summary of your complaint to them. I'm also wondering if your phone service carrier has a fraud division since this threat and call came via their service.

Thanks for all the great answers and advice!

Obviously we knew that this was not a legitimate call, and as I was telling BetsyRoss a little while ago, it just infuriated me so much that people like these believe that Americans are so stupid they will fall for anything, no matter how far fetched, that I made up my mind that it was going to be reported. I just needed a good starting point.

And then, it also occured to me that while I know how other agencies operate in gathering information, I had no idea how, other than enforcement, immigration works so thought this might be a good time to find out.

Thanks again....you've all been a great help to me!

If they want you to sign a document that is not factual, so they may gain citizenship is federal fraud. You are risking everything to help illegal immigrants lie to the government.

Ask them to send you a copy to sign and you'll mail it back. Turn the request and address over to ICE. Oh yeah, sending a fraudulent letter through the mail is mail fraud, obviously another federal offense.

Tell them that you need to verify that they really are immigration and that you will call them back at their office. If they really are immigration they will not be offended.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast