Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Rep. Fernandes Criticizes 'Policy of Sanctuary Rather Than E

Rep. Fernandes Criticizes 'Policy of Sanctuary Rather Than Enforcement'
    State Rep. John V. Fernandes has sent a letter to Gov. Deval Patrick, urging him to revisit Milford and take a balanced approach in enforcing immigration controls, including employment laws.

milford-ma.patch.com
    11:12am

Editor's Note: State Rep. John Fernandes (D-Milford) sent the following letter to Gov. Deval Patrick, following the death of Matthew Denice.

August 22, 2011

Dear Governor Patrick:

I am writing this letter with sadness at the tragic loss of a young life heavy on my mind. You may and should be aware that a twenty-three year old Milford man was tragically killed this weekend by an alleged drunk driver who is apparently in this country illegally. This is not the first such incident to occur in our community and I fear it will not be the last unless and until our state and federal governments awaken to the terrible burden that unchecked illegal immigration has caused. My thoughts and prayers are with the man’s family and the community of Milford mourns together at his loss.

We have spoken and I have written to you to ask that you take a balanced approach to the issue of illegal immigration by undertaking enforcement of our employment laws to put pressure on those who encourage the massive influx of illegal immigrants to certain communities in Massachusetts at a rate of immigration that, even if legal, would put a tremendous strain upon our resources. Of course, the immigration is not legal, and the ability of our Milford community to assimilate the population is simply not there. I have also previously asked that you reconsider your opposition to the Federal Secure Communities program, one that police chiefs across our Commonwealth agree can make our residents safer.

The character of our community is being destroyed as government engages a policy of sanctuary rather than enforcement. The public’s anger is palpable over the feeling that our state government is sympathetic to the humanitarian concerns of the people who are in our area illegally, while turning a blind eye to the impact of that population’s presence on our communities.

One area of impact that I have brought to your attention before is on our roads and in the courts and it is particularly relevant to this matter at hand. I have practiced in the Milford area courts for 29 years and I have seen an increase in accidents involving persons driving without licenses, and an increase in the complaints in court for operating without a license. This places a financial burden upon the courts where the Milford Clerk of Courts has determined a correlation can be found between those who are arrested for driving without a license and those who also report having no social security number.

People having no stake in our system of laws simply ignore our rules of the road, are randomly stopped for unlicensed operation, drive to the court, pay a fine, and then drive away with complete disregard for the law. It is time to provide a minimum mandatory jail sentence for those who operate without a license and whose status in our community is illegal. I ask you to support such legislation. I do not suggest that the alleged illegal status of the driver in this case alone is the cause of this accident. It certainly appears to involve once again the mix of drinking and driving. But clearly the weak penalties for those who disregard our licensing laws has an impact.

I have advised you before that I believe that the root of the problem of illegal immigration is in the area of employment. There is an obvious but unattended to problem of independent contracting with, and employment of, illegal immigrants. That employment deprives the state of needed tax revenue. It also puts the workers themselves at risk. By example, while illegal immigrants are entitled to workers compensation, they are often afraid when injured to pursue that right. I am firmly convinced that if the employment laws were zealously enforced, then the population of illegal immigrants who have migrated here for work would likewise migrate away. I have filed legislation to require employers to participate in the federal E-Verify program to assure that all hires are of legal residence in our community.

I have explained to you before that Milford is a community rich in ethnic diversity and history. The community has always welcomed and assimilated immigrant groups coming to America to pursue the American dream of a better life for their families. People of Irish, Italian, Portuguese, Armenian, Polish, Brazilian, Indian and Pakistani birth have all emigrated here, been welcomed and made great contributions to our community.

I am the grandson of Italian and Portuguese immigrants and the son of a Portuguese immigrant father. I grew up with Portuguese and Italian spoken in my home. I was raised in a working class housing development that was for decades the home to no fewer than six different ethic groups at the same time, all speaking their own languages, but all living in harmony and peace. All these different ethnic groups arrived here legally with the intent of making this their permanent home, in numbers the community could handle, assimilating into the community while maintaining the pride and heritage of their homelands.

Today, Milford is one of those communities suffering under the stress of what is estimated to be a population of some several thousand people living here who are in this country illegally or without proper immigration documentation. The numbers may be down somewhat as the economy has faltered but the presence is still very real. The presence of this group creates a terrible burden upon the community and its resources.

The stress and burdens upon the community are real, Governor; very real. I have been in and around local government for 39 years and I have practiced law in the community for 29 years. Those two roles combined with my personal upbringing have allowed me to see first hand the difference between the positive impact upon Milford that came from the decades of legal immigration and the negative impacts brought upon Milford from only the last decade of illegal immigration.
    The people of Massachusetts have put their faith in you, Governor that you will listen and act where life is made hard by the problems that have been brought upon them by outside influences beyond their control.

I am available to meet with you again to discuss this matter further. I also invite you to return to Milford for a day specifically to see first hand the matters about which I write.

Very truly yours

John V. Fernandes

State Representative

10th Worcester District

http://milford-ma.patch.com/articles/re ... nforcement
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Very good letter,and spoken from the heart. Our country Is In steep cultural and moral decline as a direct result Of Illegal Immigration. All of this madness has to stop

House Rep: John Fernandes
    Boston, MA 02133
    Phone: 617-722-2011
    Email: John.Fernandes@mahouse.gov

District Office
    12 Main Street
    P.O Box 436
    Milford, MA 01757
    Phone: (50 473-3063
    Fax: (50 478-4420

Send him this link:
    http://www.ojjpac.org/memorial.asp
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    My email .... I read your letter to the governor,and I can tell you 80% of AMERICAN CITIZENS agree with what you say. Between state representatives such as this governor,and now a new "EXECUTIVE AMNESTY" from Obama,American Citizens are going to die In record numbers. This will only get worse If we sit back and do nothing. I never thought that I would see the day when elected government officials Intentionally put Americans In harms way all In the name of politics. Elected officials at every level are now refusing to enforce the very laws that were passed to keep our citizens safe. I urge you to contact the Subcommittee On Immigration (202) 225 - 3926 and urge them to stop this madness at the Federal level now. Congress returns on September 5th,and when they do,they are going to get an earful from the American people. This Insanity has to stop,and we need to all step up to the plate to do It.