Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

A reply from my Congressman Robert Goodlatte

Thank you for contacting me regarding illegal immigration. It is good to hear from you, and I share you concern.

As you know, illegal immigration penalizes those legal immigrants and citizens who play by the rules. A recent study found that there are over ten million illegal aliens currently living in the United States. This population grows by over 350,000 each year. Clearly, this situation has reached crisis proportions and cannot be allowed to continue.

The fight against illegal immigration starts at our nation's borders. If we cannot control who enters our country, such as illegal aliens, then we cannot control what enters our country, such as illegal drugs. Simply strengthening the Border Patrol, however, is not enough to stop illegal immigration. For years, weak enforcement and confusing provisions in immigration law have allowed illegal aliens to stay in the country for years without punishment. Deportation cases often lasted for years -- even decades in some instances. The Border and Transportation Security Directorate in the Department of Homeland Security needs to be able to act in a rapid and firm manner to find and deport illegal aliens.

As you may know, H.R. 4313, the TRUE Enforcement Act, was introduced by Representative Duncan Hunter of California, and would create a border security fence from the Pacific Ocean to the Gulf of Mexico with 25 additional ports of entry. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) will incorporate fencing, infrastructure and technology to prevent illegal crossings. Additionally, this legislation requires the DHS to fully implement a computerized entry-exit system and authorizes thousands of new Border Patrol officers, immigration investigators, attorneys, and immigration judges. Furthermore, the TRUE Enforcement Act increase penalties and prevents employers from hiring illegal aliens through an improved Social Security identification card and verification system.

The TRUE Enforcement Act was introduced on November 14, 2005, and was referred to the House Committees on Judiciary, Homeland Security, Ways and Means, and Government Reform. No further action has taken place. Rest assured, as a member of the Committee on the Judiciary, I will keep your views in mind as this legislation moves through Congress.

Legal immigration has blessed our nation with talent, diversity, and a commitment to freedom and the rule of law. Illegal immigration flaunts that law and mocks our system of justice. It costs our taxpayers billions of dollars every year, while taking jobs from law-abiding citizens and legal residents.

I appreciate you taking the time to contact me. I feel it is important to keep an open line of communication so I can best serve the interests of the 6th district. I hope you will continue to be in touch as the 109th Congress debates issues of importance to the United States.

Again, thanks for the benefit of your comments. Please feel free to contact me whenever I may be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Bob Goodlatte
    Member of Congress
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

A recent study found that there are over ten million illegal aliens currently living in the United States.
    Usually we hear 12 million but it is more like about 20 million! Saying 'over ten million' is insulting, we're not stupid.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

H.R.4313
    Title: To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act and other Act to provide for true enforcement and border security, and for other purposes.
    Sponsor: Rep Hunter, Duncan [CA-52] (introduced 11/14/2005) Cosponsors (46)
    Latest Major Action: 2/6/2006 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Immigration, Border Security, and Claims.SUMMARY AS OF:
    11/14/2005--Introduced.

TRUE Enforcement and Border Security Act of 2005 - Sets forth border security-related provisions, including provisions respecting: (1) construction of fencing and security improvements in the the Pacific Ocean-Gulf of Mexico border area; (2) increased availability of Department of Defense (DOD) equipment on the southern border; and (3) construction of additional ports of entry.

Provides for increases in funding, personnel, and technology at the federal, state, and local level for immigration and border enforcement and visa security, worksite enforcement, document integrity, immigration fraud, and detention and removal of illegal aliens.

Establishes in the Department of Justice a position of Assistant Attorney General for Immigration Enforcement.

Revises provisions respecting: (1) the integrated entry and exit data system; (2) registration of aliens in the United States; (3) state and local enforcement of immigration laws; and (4) National Crime Information Center listing of immigration violators.

Provides for: (1) construction or acquisition of additional alien detention facilities; (2) federal custody of, and state or local compensation for, state or locally apprehended illegal aliens; (3) immigration-related training for state and local personnel; (4) personal liability immunity to the same extent as corresponding federal immunity for state or local personnel enforcing immigration laws within the scope of their duties; and (5) civil rights money damage immunity for state or local agencies enforcing immigration laws unless their personnel violated criminal law in such enforcement.

Authorizes grants to border-adjacent Indian tribes adversely affected by illegal immigration for law enforcement, health care, environmental restoration, and cultural preservation.

Revises visa and alien status provisions, including: (1) visa waiver program suspension; (2) diversity immigrant program elimination; (3) family sponsored immigrant allocations; and (4) visa compliance bonds.

Continues, and expands to all states, the institutional removal program (IRP).

Restricts citizenship-by-birth provisions.

Denies immigration benefits to alien terrorists or criminals.

Revises temporary protected status provisions.

Employment Security Act of 2005 - Revises the work eligibility verification program.

Directs the Commissioner for Social Security to establish an alien work eligibility database.

Revises social security card anti-fraud and related provisions.

Sets forth Internal Revenue Service (IRS) work eligibility verification provisions. Amends the Internal Revenue Code to: (1) make an illegal alien ineligible for nonresident alien tax status; and (2) prohibit a deduction for compensation paid to an unauthorized worker.

Increases alien smuggling penalties.

Establishes criminal penalties and forfeiture for aliens unlawfully present in the United States. Increases criminal penalties for marriage fraud and immigration-related entrepreneurship fraud. Revises criminal and civil penalties for improper entry and related actions by an alien. Increases criminal penalties for illegal entry and failure to depart violations. Increases criminal and civil penalties for document fraud, benefit fraud, and false citizenship claims.

Makes aliens participating in criminal street gangs inadmissible and deportable.

Revises specified voluntary departure, detention, and removal provisions.

Provides for: (1) expedited removal of criminal aliens; and (2) detention alternative pilot programs.
    This is a summary of the bill - looks good. Think it'll pass???

I don't understand. No further action since Feb 2006? Where does this bill stand now?
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Jean:

From what I read, it's in committee.

Latest Major Action: 2/6/2006 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Immigration, Border Security, and Claims.
    Now, it could just languish there forever. I don't have any idea of what it takes to get the bill out of committee and on the floor.

I don't understand. No further action since Feb 2006? Where does this bill stand now?
    I'm little confused myself but I think that 4313 was an alternative bill to 4437. 4437 was seen as a compromise to 4313 which is considered to be and is in fact more stringent. Border to gulf fence. stricter penalties etc.
    I don't understand how it all works but I guess it is somehow possible to revive it or even replace 4437? It does seem to be what Mr Goodlatte is suggesting?

Now, it could just languish there forever. I don't have any idea of what it takes to get the bill out of committee and on the floor.
    This is where I not clear either.
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

Reply from my Congressman Robert Goodlatte

H.R. 4313 was introduced before H.R. 4437, and was gaining a great
    deal of popular support.

Then James Sensenbrenner, who is Chairman of the powerful House
    Judiciary Committee, announced that he would write and introduce his
    own bill on immigration reform. A candlelight vigil was held outside his
    office to request that he instead introduce and support the excellent
    TRUE Bill (H.R. 4313), but he refused. Instead, he authored H.R. 4437,
    and moved it personally through the Judiciary Committee onto the floor
    of the House, and then to passage. Evidentally getting such a strict
    immigration reform bill passed in the present political climate was
    previously considered almost impossible, and he considers passage of
    H.R. 4437 his "legacy". And, indeed, it is because of him that we have a
    strong "enforcement bill" to consider at all.

Perhaps if passage of a "House/Senate Compromise" and of the "Pence
    Plan" are both blocked, Congress might be persuaded to reconsider the
    TRUE Bill (H.R. 4313), which, I believe, was written in cooperation with
    F.A.I.R..
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)