Thank you for taking the time to write me. Constituent communication is an important piece of all legislators' jobs and I appreciate you taking valuable time out of your day to write me.

SB 170 is about tuition equity - giving qualified Colorado students who have graduated from a Colorado high school the opportunity to pursue a college education. These students will not receive free tuition; they will pay for their schooling like all students in Colorado.

As a state, Colorado struggles to send its own high school students to college. Tuition equity will help combat this problem, and prepare more students to earn a college degree and give back to their communities. SB 170 will not take away money or college seats from deserving US citizens.

Tuition equity is not a free pass to college. Undocumented students must exhibit the same skills and readiness as any other student to gain admission to a public college or university. And, like all Colorado residents, the parents of these children pay sales, property, and other consumption taxes.

Here are a couple editorials that highlight why tuition equity is a good idea for Colorado:

Durango Herald – (http://www.durangoherald.com/sections/O ... t_tuition/)

"If Colorado is to have the best educated citizenry in the decades ahead, we think this initiative makes good sense. Having to pay what a non-Coloradan pays, while having roots in Colorado and thus a greater likelihood of remaining in the state and putting that college education to good use here, is poor policy."

"Colorado, which needs to increase the educational successes of all its residents, is missing an opportunity by not providing in-state tuition to accomplished students who could have arrived as infants and consider Colorado home."

Greeley Tribune - (http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/2 ... le=Tuition%2 0equity%20bill%20would%20give%20immigrants%20a%20l eg%20up)

"Many business organizations have thrown their support behind this bill, citing the need for a well-educated workforce. Universities and colleges support it as a way to attract more tuition-paying students in tough times."

"…the diverse group of individuals and organizations supporting this bill is a tell-tale sign that it is the right thing to do. Many, like Monfort, who tend to be politically conservative, see the benefit of educating all our residents, regardless of their immigration status."

"Some may think this bill gives illegal immigrants something for nothing. We think it's just the opposite. We are giving these residents an opportunity in the hopes they might become productive members of our society.

And, isn't that what America is all about?"

These are the reasons why I am sponsoring legislation for tuition equity in Colorado. This is a common sense solution to a larger problem. Your thoughts are important so thanks again for taking the time to write me.

Respectfully,

Chris Romer
State Senate, District 32
Capitol: 303-866-4852

Check out my blog at www.chrisromer.blogspot.com

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 9:37 PM, I wrote:
I have a relative in your state who is trying to put his kids through college and has already taken out loans on his home equity. How can you possibly give these illegals in-state tuition when these American kids already are suffering when they cannot get the classes toward their degrees? We need an educated American citizen population, not more competition for the valued seats in classes, and I am sure colleges do not need lesser income, nor do taxpayers need another burden to implement your plan.

KMC, North Carolina