We have all been talking about concerns of violence from either illegals or those illegals in gangs towards Americans. Although we have yet to see this so far in huge numbers in our area, we saw something lastnight, equally as dangerous. Rival gang staredown on our local commuter train (know as "Max").

About 8:45 pm, we were coming out of Portland towards where we live in the "suburbs", Gresham, on Max. Late as it was, Max was fairly full, so seating was sparse, but there. As my family of four had to split up to seat, leaving my 9 year old daughter and I to sit alone facing the back of the train, my husband and son were further back from us facing the opposite direction.

As we came closer to our destination, the Max runs right through the worst part of Gresham, Rockwood, the illegal alien and gang haven. At this one stop, two young men, shaved heads, tattoos on the necks and teardrops at the eyes, mid-twenties, got on. As soon as they were spotted by this lone man, shaved head, tattoos (all of which were Latino), he in his early 30's, he stood up, facing them.

They stood on one corner of the walkway, while this lone guy stood on the other corner. They did a sort of light nod to acknowledge him, he then opened his jacket to show them "something" within his beltline area, they gave each other pensive looks.

At this point I already had my concerns. The two young men shifted, looked around at all the people, looked at the 30 something guy again, who again showed them whatever he had under his jacket again. All the while he had been turning around our direction looking around towards us.

Now, during this, a guy who had been sitting right in range of this all (the 30 something man had been sitting across from him), began to look very concerned, he apparently saw what was in this guys belt area. I knew at that point something was not good.

My own daughter, having grown up around this stuff, was getting tense, holding her shopping bag close to her body. I shifted my purse to my right side, inwards from the aisle, checking where my cell phone was at and scoping out where the trains emergency button was.

This tension lasted till the two younger men got off about 4 stops down. The 30 something man watched them exit and walk down the road intently from the trains windows. He still did not sit. Next stop, from behind us, another guy we had not seen got off, he too was watched with great intent by the 30 something one. Then he finally sat.

My head was pounding, and my son had finally come to sit by us and we signaled for my husband. The 30 something guy got off finally and I was able to explain to my son and husband what we had seen while facing this direction. Another couple finally sat in a heavy sigh across from us, looking at us and shaking their heads, the man said "they could not have gotten off soon enough!". We all agreed what we had seen was gang rivalry.

At this point the tension was too much for my daughter, she burst into tears. We tried all we could to calm her, she tried to keep her composure, but it was too much for her. We vowed that this time of day for public transportation was out.

Our thoughts were then. What if a weapon filled showdown had happened, it has before? What if they did not care who, and how many were there?

It is getting bad out there. Just a short time ago, not only did we never see this kind of thing, we only heard of it in distant areas, now it is hitting home.

We need to be fighting harder, pushing for ICE crackdowns more, local police to have the authority to contact ICE when they cross paths with gang members who may be illegally here, better enabling the dangerous crminals to be deported. We need these people and their dangerous ways gone. We don't need this here.

Yes, BTW, we plan to make an explanation to Tri-Met authority, they should have had someone on the train, they have a budget for it, this could have been more of a deterrent. Besides, they need to know this kind of thing is going on, and that commuters who pay them for a safe ride are in danger.