Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Re: Sailor with Illegal Immigrant Wife

Quote Originally Posted by iamtired23
    Quote Originally Posted by cayla99
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB
    This is a tough one to discuss being I was in the Navy. I just saw on CNN where a US Navy Petty Officer has an Illegal Immigrant Wife that is in Jeprody of being Deported as soon as next summer. My first reaction was help out the guy but on the other hand lets not play stupid here. He was in full awarness of his Wifes Immigration Status when he married her. If I were his Commanding Officer I would tell him that he could be released from Duty so as to deal with the problems he and his Wife are facing. I was a little taken back by the whole episode but I still dont understand if he is a Legal Citizen of the United States and married her doesn't that make her a Citizen by Marriage? What do you think????
    ok, this is how it works. If they were engaged, he just needs to apply for a fiance visa. Since they are married, she needs to go back to her own country and he needs to sponsor his wife (this can take up to 5 years). If she was in the country legally, he could have filed for a status adjustment, but if she was here illegally for even 1 day, that option is no longer open.
    That last part is not necessarily true. There's tons of people around my neighborhood that entered with a tourist visa, overstayed, and still adjusted their status by getting married.

Just two months ago, I was invited to the wedding of a Colombian illegal and an American citizen who was filing for her adjustment of status. It's still possible. People do it all the time around here.
    They may have loosened up on that a bit since we went through it. It has been more than a few years.
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I saw this on the Rick Sanchez (?) show last night. I was really mad that I had to sit through another sob story. Every illegal alien has a sob story to tell, and each are no different to me because illegal is illegal. They both knew she was illegal when they got married and then decided to give birth here.
    I don't understand why her status didn't change when she married a citizen. IS HE ILLEGAL? The whole story is to drum up sympathy for military families that have illegal alien family members. I say let her and the child move back to her home country and when he gets discharged he can join them there.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by butterbean
    I saw this on the Rick Sanchez (?) show last night. I was really mad that I had to sit through another sob story. Every illegal alien has a sob story to tell, and each are no different to me because illegal is illegal. They both knew she was illegal when they got married and then decided to give birth here.
    I don't understand why her status didn't change when she married a citizen. IS HE ILLEGAL? The whole story is to drum up sympathy for military families that have illegal alien family members. I say let her and the child move back to her home country and when he gets discharged he can join them there.
    If she's illegal how did they legally get married?

If she's illegal how did they legally get married?
    Status is not a requirement for marriage.
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

How our family did it. Legally

My youngest son met a girl while he was in college. She was here on a college visa. She went back to Asia when she was supposed to. My son flew to Asia and married her. It took her about 9 months to get her here legally. I'm her sponsor. It's worth all the paperwork it took to get her here legally. I'll ask my son today how much money it cost for the immigration dept to get her here. I don't think it was alot.
    We the People. You the Invader

Been there, done that. It ain't much at all.

JRB,

That's a real problem in the Navy right now. They busted a whole bunch of sailors last year for scam marriages. They are getting married, getting pay increases and benefits and not living with their foreign wives. Sometimes, they don't even know where they are.

I bet if you search the net you can read about the case.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

OK

IF a non citizen marries a citizen here in the US and the immigrant is illegal then they illegal immigrant is requiered to return to their country of origin and the American citizen must start a petition process with the State Department to get the spouse back in the US. This could take up to two years I have heard. If the illegal immigrant stays in the US then they are always subject to immediate deportation if arrested. So it should be!

TPS? There have been some government programs to allow them to stay and start the petition process here instead of having to return. TPS has been given to illegals from Central America a few times in the last 10 years. Don't ask me why?

Yes, these are sob stories but if you do not ENFORCE the law then what good is the law?

If you ever were to watch Spanish television then all you see are these same sob stories of someone getting deported. TOO BAD!

This is what Mark Krikorian, Executive Director of the CIS, writing in the National Review Online, says about this case. As you'll see, he makes excellent points. Click on the link at the bottom to follow links in this piece:
    ---------------------------

Uniform Amnesty [Mark Krikorian]

I don't know if the lefties will storm my talk this evening at Michigan State, but I did tick off a lot of people Wednesday with my comments in a piece on CNN. The story is about a sailor whose wife faces deportation and it argues for amnesty for illegal-alien spouses of service members. The story was obviously placed by amnesty lobbyists; the husband was actually a Democratic witness at a House hearing a month ago on the STRIVE Act amnesty.

What angered readers (sample: "You could do us all a favor and fade away under the rock you crawled out from under") was this:

"A judge in June granted her a one-year extension to remain in the United States. If her legal status does not change by June 8, 2008, she will have 60 days to voluntarily leave the country or face deportation.

That's just fine, according to Mark Krikorian, the executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies, which lobbies for tougher laws on illegal immigration.

"What you're talking about is amnesty for illegal immigrants who have a relative in the armed forces, and that's just outrageous," he said. "What we're talking about here is letting lawbreakers get away with their actions just because they have a relative in the military. ... There's no justification for that kind of policy."

Of course, the glib "that's just fine" didn't come from me — that's an artifact of the reporter. But as to the substance, there are two questions. First, should this specific person get special treatment outside the law. And more broadly, should illegal-alien family members of servicemen automatically be given amnesty, as argued in the piece by Margaret Stock, a West Point law professor (and immigration enthusiast who's largely responsible for the Federalist Society's surprisingly weak stance on immigration).

As to the first — the law obviously always needs room for flexibility, and this is about as sympathetic a case as you'll find. The problem is that our immigration system has evolved into almost nothing but exceptions for special cases; "no" never means "no," and as Michelle Malkin has put it, "it ain't over til the alien wins." At some point, someone is going to have to be inconvenienced if we're ever going to have an immigration policy that sticks, even one modeled on the failed Bush-Kennedy amnesty — unless, of course, what you're really after is open borders.

The broader question is whether enlisting in the armed forces should be a ticket to legal status for illegal-alien family members, or even, a la the DREAM Act, a route to amnesty for illegal aliens themselves. The magnet this would create for new illegal immigration and marriage fraud is difficult to underestimate, not to mention the crowding-out effect it would have on American enlistments — no amount of education benefits for prospective American enlistees could match the attraction of a green card for an illegal alien.

As with the matter of exercising discretion, if the numbers of people involved were small, you could get away this sort of thing. But when the immigration laws go unenforced for years and you have a large illegal population, flexibility and exceptions for special cases simply makes things worse. This is why we need a strong, long dose of muscular enforcement, with all the sob stories that will accompany it, to shrink the illegal population and regain control over immigration. Only then would it be possible to exercise discretion without making the problem worse.

10/04 06:25 AM

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/? ... Q3ZjliN2Q=
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Ten years ago I met the woman I married. She was living in West Covina, Ca. We dated and then decided to get married. Just before we were to get married I found out that her Legal status was questionable because she was an expired Visa from the Philippines.

To make a long story short, we got married anyways, and the first thing we did after getting married was to go to the Immigration and Naturalization building in Los Angeles, and declare our situation, even though we had no idea what would happen. We immediately received an adjusted status, and she even got temporary papers to allow her to work.

Two years later she received her green card, and five years after that she became a United States Citizen.

Today we have a beautiful 8 year old little girl, and my wife works in the local Public School district (She has a College Degree), takes care of the house and the family while I go off around the world guarding other countries borders.

My wife got a job after my daughter was of school age, so that we could afford to send my daughter to private school, because the public schools have failed Americans, but that's another story.

I am in the U.S. Navy.

R/ Skip

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12