Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Scarborough praises policy shifts: ‘Trump is finally doing what we've been hoping’

Scarborough praises policy shifts: ‘Trump is finally doing what we've been hoping’

By Joe Concha
    04/13/17 08:24 AM EDT

MSNBC host Joe Scarborough on Thursday praised President Trump for flipping his position on a series of policy issues, saying he couldn’t "think of one shift that actually went in the wrong direction."

The “Morning Joe” host has been a frequent critic of Trump both during the campaign and since his inauguration.

Trump on Wednesday either shifted or completely reversed positions on as series of issues, including the usefulness of NATO, whether to label China a currency manipulator, Federal Reserve chair Janet Yellen and the Export-Import Bank.

The moves came as Secretary of State Rex Tillerson met with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Moscow amid tougher talk between the U.S. and the Kremlin.

"If these policy shifts yesterday were whiplash, our neck was over here and now, it's upright," said Scarborough.

"Whether it was on NATO, an embrace of NATO, just absolute — I mean, Tillerson was tough as nails, according to William Cohen and Ambassador McFaul, and a lot of other Trump critics, had a good tough meeting with Putin and with the foreign minister there."

Scarborough also praises the president for getting in a position with China where the two nations can work together to deal with the North Korean threat.

"A lot of shifts yesterday, but I can't think of one shift that actually went in the wrong direction. These are all things that he said over the past two years that have scared us and now, the shift. Maybe it’s a day shift, but it's quite a shift."

Co-host Willie Geist and guest Richard Haass, the president of the Council on Foreign Relations, agreed with Scarborough, although Haass noted the "seismic shifts" happening so quickly were "a little unnerving.”

"You had a lot of people yesterday accusing Donald Trump of flip-flopping, but what if he's flopping to the correct position, isn't that a good thing? Geist asked rhetorically.

"I want him to flop-flop off some of the positions he was holding."

"A lot of stuff happened yesterday, you're right,” Haass replied. “It was all in the positive direction. China not being a currency manipulator, NATO having a continuing important role, a fairly blunt talk with the Russians."

"Whether this was yesterday's shift and today will bring you something else, and tomorrow something else, and the only thing wrong with that is the mere fact that you can have such seismic shifts, in and of itself is a little unnerving," he concluded.

http://thehill.com/media/328611-scar...ve-been-hoping
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Just a few points that anyone covering these "shifts" should have made.

1. NATO. Trump didn't shift. He demanded that if the US was going to continue to be part of NATO, then the members were going to abide their agreements and spend according to their NATO agreement. He also wanted a refocus of the organization to dealing with terrorism which he felt was the greatest real threat in their region. NATO in response has not only developed a counter-terrorism commission to do just what Trump asked during the campaign, they've also agreed that the other countries will pay and spend the amounts they're supposed to for their defense. How is it a "shift" when your conditions have been met? It's not a shift, it's winning!

2. China Labeled as Currency Manipulator. China is no longer doing that. They've stopped right after the election. They've also started buying more exports to balance the trade deficit with China. If China starts manipulating their currency again, I'm sure he'll label them a currency manipulator. But you can't do that when they've stopped doing it. Again, this is not a shift, it's winning!

3. EX-IM Bank. I remember during the campaign when he was asked about the Ex-Im Bank and at first he didn't know what it was, so he's inquired and been told x about it. There is a faction of the Republican Party that's opposed to the Ex-Im Bank for some reason and their story is the one he then responded to during the campaign. I think because the Heritage Foundation is against it for some reason. But I support the Ex-Im Bank 100%. It's crucial to our large companies and very beneficial to our thousands of our smaller companies. It also doesn't cost US anything. We actually make money on it. So I think he has since Inauguration had the chance to look at the program as it really is and also heard from industry during his many meetings with them, and based on the other side of the argument, decided correctly in my view that this is a program we need to keep. So this would be shift, but based on more complete information.

4. Russia. I have nothing to say on this one. Not sure what is actually going on. I believe Trump still wants to have a good relationship with Russia, so we'll just wait and see.

But I'm glad Joe, Mika and everyone at Morning Joe had no complaints about Trump. That just makes your day, doesn't it? (Sarcasm)

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Judy wrote (excerpt):

3. EX-IM Bank. I remember during the campaign when he was asked about the Ex-Im Bank and at first he didn't know what it was, so he's inquired and been told x about it. There is a faction of the Republican Party that's opposed to the Ex-Im Bank for some reason and their story is the one he then responded to during the campaign. I think because the Heritage Foundation is against it for some reason. But I support the Ex-Im Bank 100%. It's crucial to our large companies and very beneficial to our thousands of our smaller companies. It also doesn't cost US anything. We actually make money on it. So I think he has since Inauguration had the chance to look at the program as it really is and also heard from industry during his many meetings with them, and based on the other side of the argument, decided correctly in my view that this is a program we need to keep. So this would be shift, but based on more complete information.
    Why do you say "for some reason?" You know exactly why many Republicans and the Heritage Foundation don't support the Export-Import Bank! The bank is nothing more than corporate welfare on the backs of U.S. taxpaying citizens that doles out financing to favored corporations and foreign governments.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

4. Russia. I have nothing to say on this one. Not sure what is actually going on. I believe Trump still wants to have a good relationship with Russia, so we'll just wait and see.
    Trump tweeted a few minutes ago:

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 33m 33 minutes ago

Things will work out fine between the U.S.A. and Russia. At the right time everyone will come to their senses & there will be lasting peace!
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump?...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Yes, I believe that, thank you Mr. President. Keep up the good work!!

Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    Judy wrote (excerpt):

Why do you say "for some reason?" You know exactly why many Republicans and the Heritage Foundation don't support the Export-Import Bank! The bank is nothing more than corporate welfare on the backs of U.S. taxpaying citizens that doles out financing to favored corporations and foreign governments.
    You mean the "corporate welfare" that creates good manufacturing jobs for American Workers in the United States? Why would you, any Republican or the Heritage Foundation oppose a program that supports our export manufacturers who operate manufacturing operations in our country, hire our citizens to good jobs with average wages of $20 an hour or more plus outstanding beneifts and compete with foreign producers whose governments support them with Ex-Im loans to compete with US?

That's a "corporate welfare" program I'll support every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Thank God, our dear President Trump has the same good sense.

But of course you're free to stand against the American Worker by standing against our great industries. This is a free country with free speech and the right to believe whatever you want and speak it and post it.

I just tried to save you from the embarrassment, MW. But, as the ole saying goes, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

MW
    I just tried to save you from the embarrassment, MW. But, as the ole saying goes, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.
    I'd say you're the one that should feel embarrassed.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

LOL!! That's so lame.

I need to read up on this bank - I have heard it mentioned, but don't know anything about it.

My questions is, though, why does our corporations need any welfare or giveaways of any kind. Yes, they have foreign competition - but since they own the people in Washington making the laws, I'm thinking they are fine with the trade deals.

How many of these jobs go to American workers?? How many to illegals, refugees,immigrants, HB workers,etc.

Lots of questions.

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    LOL!! That's so lame.
    So was your comment.

Quote Originally Posted by nntrixie View Post
    I need to read up on this bank - I have heard it mentioned, but don't know anything about it.

My questions is, though, why does our corporations need any welfare or giveaways of any kind. Yes, they have foreign competition - but since they own the people in Washington making the laws, I'm thinking they are fine with the trade deals.

How many of these jobs go to American workers?? How many to illegals, refugees,immigrants, HB workers,etc.

Lots of questions.
    It isn't welfare at all. These are bank loans guaranteed by the Ex-Im Bank for international transactions, primarily exports by our corporations, Boeing, General Electric, and many others, who manufacture in the US and then export their products. Many smaller companies use the program too in order to expand their business with sales to foreign entities in foreign countries. The companies all pay fees and it usually makes money, the number of loan defaults is very small. The program has been around since 1934, so 83 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast