Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    AngelaTC wrote:

I am very disappointed in Steele's position on amnesty. He clearly said that there is no change in the GOP platform, and even said that the only problem was that it was messaged wrong.

So he wants amnesty.

????????? I don't get it. Steele has said repeatedly that he does not support amnesty in any form. With that said, how can you be disappointed in his position on amnesty? Please explain in more detail. A large part of his platform in his 2006 run for the Senate was formed around his position against amnesty. IMO, his message to date on the issue has been clear.
    I'm well aware of Steele's policy stances - that's why it shocked me to hear what he said.

I hope I interpreted his statements wrong, because I was hoping Steele would get the position. But in the Fox News interview that he did with Chris Wallace, he said that the problem was that the GOP position had been a media failure. Wallace distinctly asked him if there would be a change in the platform, and Steele said "No."

To me that means the path to citizenship might still be on the table, even though the platform is officially against amnesty.

Time will tell.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." -- John Quincy Adams

MW
    AngelaTC wrote:

But in the Fox News interview that he did with Chris Wallace, he said that the problem was that the GOP position had been a media failure. Wallace distinctly asked him if there would be a change in the platform, and Steele said "No."
    It's been a media failure because a large majority of the media leans left and favors amnesty. I seldom expect a fair shake from the liberal media where illegal immigration is concerned.

I'm happy to hear that Steele told Wallace there wouldn't be a change in the GOP platform. The 2008 platform retains tough language against illegal immigration and a flat statement of opposition to amnesty for illegal immigrants. Sounds like Steele's got it right.

By the way, saying the "GOP position had been a media failure" is not the same as saying the policies are wrong. What he's saying, IMO, is that the GOP didn't do a good enough job of getting the message out through the media. Well, perhaps that's because the media, for the most part, has consistently done everything they can to obfuscate most issues connected to illegal immigration. He's probably right, the GOP can do better.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    sorry... I cant support him ... it is more of the same that got us into this mess

time to start a third party or find another that is compatable with my beliefs

The Republocrats just dont get it
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    AirborneSapper7 wrote:

sorry... I cant support him ... it is more of the same that got us into this mess
    Some of you folks are really starting to confuse me. We finally get someone that stands firmly against amnesty in any form in a position that can make an impact and you don't want to support him.

Let's recap what we've learned so far:

1. Does not support amnesty in any form. What sets him apart from the crowd that says amnesty is not really amnesty if illegals pay taxes, learn English, etc. is his declaration of "no amnesty in any form."
    2. Supports strong border security.
    3. Does not support driver's licenses for illegal aliens.
    4. Supports the enforcement of our immigration laws.

Personally, I think we should give Steele the benefit of doubt on the illegal immigrant issue for now. Based on his past history and comments on the issue, he deserves at least that much.

As a registered Republican there are other issues I don't agree with him on. However, I fully support his current position on the illegal immigrant issue.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

When I heard the news about Michael Steele I was thrilled, but then I began checking into his stands. I am not so happy now.

For one thing, in 2006 he was against embryonic stem cell research, but just like McCain, he has now changed his mind, and supports experimenting on embryos.....

Also........
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,486395,00.html
    Sunday, February 01, 2009

snip~
    STEELE: The GOP's position is secure our borders first. Let us know and let us make sure the American people know that we've taken care of the important business of dealing with illegal immigration into this country.

You cannot begin to address the concerns of the people who are already here unless and until you have made certain that no more are coming in behind them.

WALLACE: So no change in the position of the party.

STEELE: No change in the position on the party on that.

WALLACE: You are one of the...

STEELE: How we messaged that is where we messed up the last time. We were pegged as being insensitive, anti-immigrant, and nothing could be further from the truth, because you talk to those leaders in the Hispanic community, they will tell you the same thing.

They understand the importance of making sure the United States' borders are secure.

WALLACE: You are one of the co-founders of something called the Republican Leadership Council...

STEELE: Yep.

WALLACE: ... which supports candidates who favor abortion and gay rights.
    STEELE: Yep.

WALLACE: Does the GOP need to do a better job of reaching out to people who hold those views?

STEELE: I think — I think that's an important opportunity for us, absolutely, because within our party we do have those who have that view as well as outside.

And my partnership with Christy Todd Whitman was an effort to hopefully build a bridge between moderates and conservatives in the party. I'm a pro-life Roman Catholic conservative, always have been.

WALLACE: You also support a constitutional amendment against gay marriage.

STEELE: That's right. And the reality of it is this, because I don't think we should muck around with the Constitution. We can deal with that at the state level, OK? That's my personal view.

But the reality of it is the party has to recognize the diversity of opinion that's out there. And we're not going to get everyone to agree with the — Ronald Reagan said it best. If you agree with me 80 percent of the time, I think that's good enough. I mean, I think we can move forward on that 80 percent.
    snip~
    Ron Paul in 2011 "[...]no amnesty should be granted. Maybe a 'green card' with an asterisk should be issued[...]a much better option than deportation."

I like this selection and I was hoping Steele got the nomination in 2006. This guy is miles better than Mel Martinez (he was awful). I hope this is a sign that the Republicans are starting to get it, time will tell.

He's not perfect, but what politician is? I agree with MW. I don't think his secure the borders first theme translates to amnesty when he's been known to be against it. Until we get the borders secure, no amount of interior enforcement is going to work.

The only thing I didn't like was his stance on legal immigration. I wish he would support a moratorium on immigration like Tom Tancredo did until we sort this crap out. We need to cut the level of legal immigration down to no more than 200K, not the millions we let in.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW, I'm with you on this. We should be happy that Steele is the new RNC Chairman. His stance is clearly in favor of enforcing the laws, securing the border, workplace enforcement and no amnesty. The man is a breath of fresh air and seems to "get it".

AirborneSapper7 wrote:

Some of you folks are really starting to confuse me. We finally get someone that stands firmly against amnesty in any form in a position that can make an impact and you don't want to support him.

Let's recap what we've learned so far:

1. Does not support amnesty in any form. What sets him apart from the crowd that says amnesty is not really amnesty if illegals pay taxes, learn English, etc. is his declaration of "no amnesty in any form."
    2. Supports strong border security.
    3. Does not support driver's licenses for illegal aliens.
    4. Supports the enforcement of our immigration laws.

Personally, I think we should give Steele the benefit of doubt on the illegal immigrant issue for now. Based on his past history and comments on the issue, he deserves at least that much.

As a registered Republican there are other issues I don't agree with him on. However, I fully support his current position on the illegal immigrant issue.
    ...I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid...

William Barret Travis
    Letter From The Alamo Feb 24, 1836

MW
    TexasBorn wrote:

His stance is clearly in favor of enforcing the laws, securing the border, workplace enforcement and no amnesty.
    That's what I see too. How are some folks missing the big picture?

TexasBorn wrote:

His stance is clearly in favor of enforcing the laws, securing the border, workplace enforcement and no amnesty.
    That's what I see too. How are some folks missing the big picture?
    Well I can see why some people might be a bit apprehensive. We've gotten our hopes up before, only for some of these guys to sell out. I hope that's not the case, I don't think it is. I think he's a good pick.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    dman1200 wrote:

We've gotten our hopes up before, only for some of these guys to sell out.
    Kirsten Gillibrand would be an excellent example of a sell-out!

To my knowledge Steele hasn't starting back peddling yet and hopefully won't.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast