Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by patbrunz
    I'm confused. There are more yeas than nays. A yea is for or against the DREAM act?
    Yea is for it and no is against it, but 60 yeas was the magic number to put it through and they had 55 yeas.
    "Mother Sick of Sending Her Child to A School Overflowing With Anchors and Illegals!"
    http://the-drama-of-my-life.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by thedramaofmylife
    Quote Originally Posted by patbrunz
    I'm confused. There are more yeas than nays. A yea is for or against the DREAM act?
    Yea is for it and no is against it, but 60 yeas was the magic number to put it through and they had 55 yeas.
    Thank you for clarifying that for me.
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

I actually wrote an article about this if anyone wants to check it out

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... html?cat=9

I actually donate the proceds from my articles to numbers of alipac since William has given me some really good quotes.

i encourage others to consider writing to. I have reached really large and diverse groups of people.
    <div>"If I had known this I would have picked my own cotton"</div>

Interesting headlines.....

REPUBLICANS block youth immigration bill guess they forgot about those 5 democrats. Of course on the page we have the "crying" youth. To bad so sad.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101219/ap_ ... n_students

WASHINGTON – Senate Republicans on Saturday doomed an effort that would have given hundreds of thousands of young illegal immigrants a path to legal status if they enrolled in college or joined the military.

Sponsors of the Dream Act fell five votes short of the 60 they needed to break through largely GOP opposition and win its enactment before Republicans take over the House and narrow Democrats' majority in the Senate next month.

President Barack Obama called the vote "incredibly disappointing."

"A minority of senators prevented the Senate from doing what most Americans understand is best for the country," Obama said. "There was simply no reason not to pass this important legislation."

Dozens of immigrants wearing graduation mortarboards watched from the Senate's visitors gallery, disappointment on their faces, as the 55-41 vote was announced.

"This is a dark day in America," said Jorge-Mario Cabrera, a spokesman for the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights in Los Angeles. "The Senate has ... thrown under the bus the lives and hard work of thousands and thousands of students who love this country like their own home, and, in fact, they have no other home."

Hispanic activists and immigrant advocates had looked to the bill as a down payment on what they had hoped would be broader action by Obama and the Democratic-controlled Congress to give the nation's 10 million to 12 million illegal immigrants a chance at legal status.

It targeted the most sympathetic of the millions of illegal immigrants — those brought to the United States as children, who in many cases consider themselves American, speak English and have no ties to or family living in their native countries.

"They stand in the classrooms and pledge allegiance to our flag," said Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., the bill's chief sponsor. "This is the only country they have ever known. All they're asking for is a chance to serve this nation."

Critics called the bill a backdoor grant of amnesty that would encourage more foreigners to sneak into the United States in hopes of being legalized eventually.

"Treating the symptoms of the problem might make us feel better ... but it can allow the underlying problem to metastasize," said Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz. "Unfortunately, that's what's happening at our border."

The legislation would have provided a route to legal status for an estimated 1 million to 2 million illegal immigrants who were brought to the U.S. before age 16, have been here for five years, graduated from high school or gained an equivalency degree and who joined the military or attend college.

Democrats' determination to vote on the bill before year's end reflected the party's efforts to satisfy Hispanic groups whose backing has been critical in recent elections and will be again in 2012. They said they'll try again in the next Congress, despite the increased GOP presence.

"The echo of this vote will be loud and long," said Rep. Luis V. Gutierrez, D-Ill., a key House sponsor of the bill. "We are at the tipping point that will define the political alignment of the Republican and Democratic parties with Latino voters for a generation."

"This country has a history of opening its arms," said Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif. "Today, it's arms were closed, but we're going to get there."

Three Republicans — Robert Bennett of Utah, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Richard Lugar of Indiana — joined 50 Democrats and the Senate's two independents in voting for the bill.

Five Democrats — Max Baucus and Jon Tester of Montana, Kay Hagan of North Carolina, Ben Nelson of Nebraska and Mark Pryor of Arkansas — joined 36 Republicans in blocking it. Not voting were Republican Sens. Jim Bunning of Kentucky, Orrin Hatch of Utah and Judd Gregg of New Hampshire, and Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia.

Thanks Dixie this list will come in handy this winter.
    Especially the revised version!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

From Numbersusa on the dream act..finally they were down for some reason yesterday!!!!

Analyzing The Votes In Our Defeating the DREAM Act Amnesty in Senate Today

By Roy Beck, Saturday, December 18, 2010, 12:39 PM EST - posted on NumbersUSA

Our victory was closer than it looked.

I told our Web Editor Chris Chmielenski after the vote this morning that my body felt like it does when I just missed a terrible car accident in which nothing bad happened at all but I can clearly see how close I came to being killed.

Yes, the PRO-amnesty folks were 5 votes short of the 60 needed. But I can pick several NO votes that could've gone the other way. And if any two had done so -- especially if they had done so a couple of weeks ago -- at least three other votes would have gone with them and we would have lost.

The incredible efforts of ordinary citizens like you, communicating with those key Senate offices, saved the country from a nightmare this morning.

Now, let's look at the individual votes ( asterisks *** before names means they are Lame Ducks who leave office Jan. 5) . . .

DEMOCRATS WHO SHOWED WONDERFUL VALOR AND VOTED 'NO' (against the amnesty)

* (Ark.) Pryor
    * (Mont.) Baucus
    * (Mont.) Tester
    * (Neb.) Ben Nelson
    * (N.C.) Hagan

Where would we be without you activists in Montana? Congratulations to all of you in those four states for helping these Senators understand the importance of ignoring the appeals of their Party leaders (including the President) to support an amnesty.

* (W.Va.) Manchin didn't vote but issued a statement that he opposed the DREAM Act amnesty.

All other Democrats voted YES for the amnesty today.

In a Senate filibuster roll call like this one, the effect of not voting is the same as voting NO. Sen. Manchin is brand new and takes the seat held close to forever by the late Robert Byrd who was one of our most reliable Democrats to stand for American workers against unfair foreign labor competition. We are looking to West Virginians to make sure Sen. Manchin continues that tradition (although you didn't succeed with your Sen. Rockefeller today).

REPUBLICANS WHO VOTED 'YES' FOR THE AMNESTY

* (Alaska) Murkowski
    * (Ind.) Lugar
    * *** (Utah) Bennett

In a Senate filibuster roll call, the effect of not voting is the same as voting NO. Our whip counting beforehand indicated that the following three were committed to vote NO, even though they didn't end up voting at all.

* (Ky.) *** Bunning
    * (N.H.) *** Gregg
    * (Utah) Hatch

All other Republicans voted NO against the amnesty.

That accounts for all 100 of the Senators.

The next sections just look at groups of those Senators in a different way.

WE TRIED TO KEEP THE SUPPORT OF THE 7 CURRENT DEMOCRATIC SENATORS WHO VOTED 'NO' AGAINST THE DREAM AMNESTY IN 2007

Certainly now with unemployment so high, we thought these Democrats should have been even more interested in standing against the amnesty.

We kept three of them who voted NO today:

* (Ark.) Pryor
    * (Mont.) Baucus
    * (Mont.) Tester

But we lost 4 of them who voted YES today:

* (La.) Landrieu
    * (Mo.) McCaskill
    * (N.D.) *** Dorgan
    * (N.D.) Conrad

We're going to have to do a lot of work in North Dakota. To lose 2 of only 7 Senators because of that one state is really tough. It was especially disappointing to lose Conrad and McCaskill who will run for re-election in 2012 in states that are trending strongly Republican. Why were they moved more by the illegal-alien students and by the religious leaders than by the larger constituency? Did we not have enough effort in North Dakota and Missouri?

OUR TASK AMONG REPUBLICANS WAS NUMERICALLY EVEN BIGGER AS WE SOUGHT TO 'FLIP' 15 SENATORS WHO PREVIOUSLY HAD VOTED AT LEAST ONCE FOR AN AMNESTY

The PRO-amnesty forces put a huge amount of energy into getting another YES vote out of 15 Republicans who had voted for amnesties in the past.

11 of those Republicans had voted for the DREAM amnesty previously.

10 of them had previously voted for the CIR blanket amnesty.

The only thing that could save the country from the passage of the DREAM amnesty today was for the citizens of those 15 Senators' states to have convinced most of them that they were wrong in the past to support an amnesty.

YOU FLIPPED 12 OF THEM (the years they voted for an amnesty are in parentheses):

* (Ariz.--03 & 07) Kyl
    * (Ariz.--06 & 07) McCain
    * (Iowa--03) Grassley
    * (Kan.--06 & 07) *** Brownback
    * (Maine--06 & 07) Collins
    * (Maine--06 & 07 & 07) Snowe
    * (Ohio--06) Voinovich
    * (S.C.--06 & 07) Graham
    * (Texas--03) Cornyn
    * (Texas--07) Hutchison

In addition two more who didn't vote today said they would have voted NO against the amnesty:

* (N.H.--06 & 07) *** Gregg
    * (Utah--07) Hatch

Only 3 of the 15 Republicans who previously voted for an amnesty did so today:

* (Alaska--06) Murkowski
    * (Ind.--06 & 07 & 07) Lugar
    * (Utah--06 & 07 & 07) *** Bennett

WE DID POORLY AMONG DEMOCRATS FACING RE-ELECTION COMPETITION IN 2012

Our members tried to get their attention by explaining that a vote for an amnesty without enforcement would be a big problem for them during a 2012 campaign while unemployment remains high.

But the only Democrats up for re-election in 2012 who voted against the amnesty that had no enforcement to slow future illegal foreign worker competition were:

* (Mont.) Tester
    * (Neb.) Nelson

All of the following 19 Members of the Democratic Caucus provided a big fat amnesty target for Republican challengers in 2012:

* (Calif.) Feinstein
    * (Conn.) Lieberman (Independent)
    * (Dela.) Carper
    * (Fla.) Bill Nelson
    * (Hawaii) Akaka
    * (Md.) Cardin
    * (Mich.) Stabenow
    * (Minn.) Klobuchar
    * (Mo.) McCaskill
    * (N.D.) Conrad
    * (N.J.) Menendez
    * (N.M.) Bingaman
    * (Ohio) Sherrod Brown
    * (Pa.) Casey
    * (R.I.) Whitehouse
    * (Va.) Webb
    * (Vt.) Sanders (Independent)
    * (Wash.) Cantwell
    * (Wis.) Kohl

WE DID GREAT AMONG REPUBLICANS FACING RE-ELECTION COMPETITION IN 2012

Only one voted YES for the amnesty:

* (Ind.) Lugar

But 7 voted NO against the amnesty:

* (Ariz.) Kyle
    * (Maine) Snowe
    * (Miss.) Wicker
    * (Nev.) Ensign
    * (Tenn.) Corker
    * (Texas) Hutchison
    * (Wyo.) Barrasso

One didn't vote but announced he opposed the amnesty:

* (Utah) Hatch

I suspect one of the reason we did so much better with the smaller group of Republicans facing re-election was that they are more likely to believe that they might face Primary oppostion from within their own Party if they support amnesty.

In fact, pro-enforcement Republican members of the Indiana state legislature are already exploring challening Sen. Lugar in 2012.

We have yet to see a pro-enforcement Democrat speak up about the possibility of challenging any of the pro-amnesty Democratic incumbents. But there are a lot of pro-enforcement Democrats in state legislatures around the country.

Knowledge is power. You who are reading this now know who deserves a challenge and who deserves support on the basis of amnesty voting.

ROY BECK is Founder & CEO of NumbersUSA

NumbersUSA's blogs are copyrighted and may be republished or reposted only if they are copied in their entirety, including this paragraph, and provide proper credit to NumbersUSA. NumbersUSA bears no responsibility for where our blogs may be republished or reposted.
    Views and opinions expressed in blogs on this website are those of the author. They do not necessarily reflect official policies of Numb

http://www.numbersusa.com/content/nusab ... today.html

Kathyet

well that is nice how they choose to report. It as not an illegal immigration bill but an illegal amnesty bill. The ad should not be blaming the ones who voted agianst it but thanking them for their patriotism to this country.

also only three repubplicans betrayed the american people, all but five democrats commited treason so more of their party went against what the party wanted, but they wont get blamed. The democrats are trying to "out s**C" the republicans

not offense to my latino friends but look up george wallace of alabama and he talks of how many democrats were doing this with the black vote but used different words
    <div>"If I had known this I would have picked my own cotton"</div>

Totally amazing how the media is talking about this....they "can't understand".... They don;t know how so many people wanted it and it was turned down..."""oh my""""......this is happening on all stations including Fox and in the local newspapers.....the more they talk the more they show how corrupt they all are and in who's pocket they all live.

Kathyet

Quote Originally Posted by kathyet
    Totally amazing how the media is talking about this....they "can't understand".... They don;t know how so many people wanted it and it was turned down..."""oh my""""......this is happening on all stations including Fox and in the local newspapers.....the more they talk the more they show how corrup they all are and in whos pocket they all live.

Kathyet
    They can't understand how "We the People" ignored their BS and lies.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbstard
    Quote Originally Posted by kathyet
    Totally amazing how the media is talking about this....they "can't understand".... They don;t know how so many people wanted it and it was turned down..."""oh my""""......this is happening on all stations including Fox and in the local newspapers.....the more they talk the more they show how corrup they all are and in whos pocket they all live.

Kathyet
    They can't understand how "We the People" ignored their BS and lies.

LOL No they can't, can you IMAGINE that....with this attitude from them we will have a lot of work ahead of us....God Bless the USA and LONG LIVE THE USA

Kathyet

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast