This must be a form letter. I already receive his email alerts each week. Usually, he evades illegal immigration on there like the plague. Anyway, I got this from his office today.

Dear _____ :

As we continue to think about immigration reform and securing our borders, I would like to update you on the Senate's latest actions.

Recently, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez announced a twenty five step plan to increase security at America 's borders, strengthen interior and worksite enforcement, streamline existing temporary worker programs, crack down on employers who hire illegal workers, and enhance worker verification mechanisms.

Also, the Senate passed H.R. 2638, the fiscal year 2008 Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act. This bill included a unanimously adopted resolution that Senator Isakson and I introduced, that calls on President Bush to send an emergency supplemental spending bill to Congress to fully fund border security and interior enforcement activities.

This bill included an important amendment, which I cosponsored, to authorize and provide $3 billion to secure our southern border. The funding will be used to achieve full operational control over the entire U.S.-Mexico land border, by constructing 300 miles of permanent vehicle barriers and 700 miles of border fencing, deploying four unmanned aerial vehicles, installing 105 ground-based radar and camera towers, and obtaining the facilities and resources necessary to detain up to 45,000 aliens per day on an annual basis. Moreover, it will provide for the hiring, training and deploying of 23,000 Customs and Border Patrol agents.

Immigration reform is the most important domestic issue facing our nation today. The President and Congress must work together to secure the border first. Once this is done, we can work to resolve the collateral issues. I believe we can get there, but we are not there yet.

If you would like to receive timely email alerts regarding the latest congressional actions and my weekly e-newsletter, please sign up via my web site at: www.chambliss.sentate.gov . Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may ever be of assistance.