Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senator Obama’s views on the Mexican Truck Issue

Senator Obama’s views on the Mexican Truck Issue
    I just received a reply from one of my Senators (Barack Obama). I’m not positive which email he is replying to. Like most of you, when the email /fax/ phone campaigns get going it’s hard to keep track of them all, and from where I sent it. I believe this is a reply from a NumerousUSA.com fax.

Anyway I though you may be interested in the Senators views on the Mexican Truck issue. (After all this man wants to be President, and that affects us all)
    -----------------------------------------------------

Subject Message from Senator Barack Obama
    Date Oct 3 2007 2:21p
    To: (me)

Dear Xxxxx

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns regarding the Department of Transportation demonstration project to allow trucks from Mexico further into the United States. I oppose the Department proposal.

As you know, this program allows 100 Mexico-domiciled motor carriers access to U.S. roads beyond the commercial zone and 100 U.S. motor carriers access to Mexican roads. I am concerned by both the substance of the proposal and the Department decision to move forward with its implementation without adequate discussion. Many of my colleagues in the Senate have expressed the same reservations.

Last spring, I supported language in the War Supplemental spending bill that limited the appropriation of funds for this project until security measures are assuredly in place. Unfortunately, President Bush vetoed this bill on May 1, 2007.

Congress is currently seeking to stop this program using several legislative tactics. On September 11, 2007, Senator Byron Dorgan (D-ND) introduced an amendment to the Senate Fiscal Year 2008 Transportation appropriations bill that would cut off funding to the Department of Transportation for implementation of this program. With my support, this amendment passed 74-24. The House of Representatives' version of the Transportation spending bill includes the same language to restrict funds. I am hopeful that with this show of overwhelming support from both chambers, the President will sign the Transportation appropriations bill into law and this restriction of funds will be enacted.

Additionally, on May 15, 2007, the House passed the Safe American Roads Act of 2007 (H.R. 1773). This bill limits participation in the program to 100 Mexican-domiciled trucking companies and a total of 1,000 trucks, and terminates the program after three years. It sets out a number of safety issues that must be satisfied before the program can begin, and creates an independent review panel to oversee the program. H.R. 1773 has been referred to the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation. I will continue to monitor this situation, as it develops to make sure that security remains the top priority.

On April 10, 2007, Representative Duncan Hunter (R-CA) introduced legislation in the House addressing this issue. The NAFTA Trucking Safety Act of 2007 (H.R. 1756) imposes a strict set of conditions that must be met by the Department of Transportation and the Department of Homeland Security in order for a Mexico-domiciled truck to enter the United States. Conditions set by H.R. 1756 include: identification of safety measures and the tools to enforce these measures; effective monitoring of immigration and customs regulations regarding international traffic as set by the North American Free Trade Agreement, and penalties for the violation of these laws; driver records databases used in Mexico; and English language proficiency requirements applicable to drivers. H.R. 1756 has not been voted on by the House.

Again, thank you for contacting me about this issue. I appreciate hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama
    United States Senator
    <div>&ldquo;There is no longer any Left or Right, there is only Tyranny or Liberty &rdquo;</div>

i still don't trust him...

Quote Originally Posted by Lone_Patriot
    i still don't trust him...
    O - I agree, Posting this was not to say I trust him (I don't), It was just a FYI
    <div>&ldquo;There is no longer any Left or Right, there is only Tyranny or Liberty &rdquo;</div>

Obama may be on our side on the truck deal, but he is for giving the illegal aliens legal status and a path to citizenship.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)