Topic the president
Jan 04 2016

Shelby: I Will Work Tirelessly to Protect the Second Amendment, Reverse Obama’s Attempts to Restrict Constitutional Rights

WASHINGTON, DC – Monday, January 4, 2016 – U.S. Senator Richard Shelby (R-Ala.) today released a statement in response to reports that President Obama intends to take executive action to restrict Americans’ constitutional right to keep and bear arms:
“The latest news that President Obama plans to circumvent Congress and attempt to restrict the constitutional right of the American people to keep and bear arms is unacceptable. The American people have witnessed time and time again a President who completely disregards the rule of law, the Constitution, and the separation of powers.

“We must not allow our leaders to act like dictators just because they are repeatedly denied a political victory. From amnesty to gun control, the American people and Republicans in Congress will continue to say ‘no’ the President’s out-of-control executive fiats.

“None of the executive actions that we expect to hear from the President would have prevented the recent tragic events in our nation. Instead of looking for ways to truly put an end to violent crime and radical Islamic terrorism, the President is once again looking to score political points by taking away the rights of law-abiding Americans to protect themselves.

“The President should know better than anyone that disarming law-abiding Americans will do nothing more than empower criminals. After all, his own hometown of Chicago has the strictest gun control laws in the country, yet its violent crime rate is among the highest in our nation.

“President Obama wants America to look more like Chicago. I'm fighting for America to look more like Alabama. That is why I will work tirelessly to protect the Second Amendment and reverse any proposals by this President to restrict the constitutional rights of the American people.”

http://www.shelby.senate.gov/public/...utional-rights