Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Silver Hair Doesn't Mean You Are OLD

I went to the grocery store this morning and there is a cashier there that I avoid like the plague. I do not know if she is illegal or legal, she is foriegn. Her thick accent gives that fact away. I avoid her simply because she is rude.
    I have told the manager on several occassions that I go out of way to avoid her because this woman is so rude and I get the same blah, blah, blah response. So I only go to that store to pick up one or two things instead of driving across town to the other store.

So, I go in to get one item. Go to the self check out, they are all closed. Walk to the other check out and she is the cashier... I told myself that I will not let her get to me today.... Put my item up there and have my money ready, she tells the amount, I hand her the money.. she stops and says "I forgot to give you the Sr citizen discount", I tell her that I do not qualify for the discount and she says "Yes, you do, you have grey hair so you have to be old" Without thinking, I said, you are foreign so can I assume that since there is 12-20 million illegal people in this country that you are here illegally? I asked her if she the had ever heard the saying about assuming? No response.
    She immediatly finished my transaction and basically threw my change at me. I smiled and told her to have a nice day.

I hear all this crap about the illegals saying that every law, ordinace, that towns across the nation are trying to enforce is racial profiling because they are hispanic or have brown skin, it is as much crap as looking at a person and saying they are old because they have grey hair!

For the record.. I am in my mid 40's and have had silver hair since I was in my 20's..
    If you can read this, thank a teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Me, too, Grits. I've had gray hair since I was 29. I'm getting real tired of the rude behavior also. I've asked several of them, "Didn't your momma teach you any manners?"
    "This is our culture - fight for it. This is our flag - pick it up. This is our country - take it back." - Congressman Tom Tancredo

Dear GRITS,

I know how you feel. I ordered coffee at MCD's last week and rec'ed my first "senior cup" of coffee. I didn't ask for it. She assumed I wanted one.

On the way home, I stopped at CVS and bought hair dye.

50 here with One strange, life of its own, silver hair, on my forehead...I would have said "thanks for the discount"..and continues to bug her and ask for price checks and then ask for plastic...and then say "no I need paper"....I have fun in the check out line and I find it is a great place to bring up political issues...and usually... out of the corner of my eye, I see my teen, slinking away...so as not to be place with the loud political Lady at the store...just in case I am tased or pepper srayed, she says ...and I usually feel her grab the car keys, just in case. ...TEHE...I usually bring up China, Mexico's, illegal aliens, Jorge Boosh, NAU...and then I give them info if they engage...
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

I'm getting the 'senior' treatment too, and I dye my hair blonde (it's the easiest way to blend in the gray). Guess I need to look into better moisturizers!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I do some of those things myself Redbadger. My kids refuse to go anywhere with me

The older I get the less I tolorate rude behavior. I could care less who you are either... I took on a young man (20's)the other night at Publix and had several people start clapping... Hit me with your cart twice and I will take you to task.....We discussed his lack of manners loudly

Don't even get me started on kids running around stores and parents doing nothing... I
    If you can read this, thank a teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

I love it Grits....I love it.....
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Betsy if you find a good moisturizer let me know...I will be needing the large size

Quote Originally Posted by GRITS
    I do some of those things myself Redbadger. My kids refuse to go anywhere with me

The older I get the less I tolorate rude behavior. I could care less who you are either... I took on a young man (20's)the other night at Publix and had several people start clapping... Hit me with your cart twice and I will take you to task.....We discussed his lack of manners loudly

Don't even get me started on kids running around stores and parents doing nothing... I

Oh I agree. I cannot tolerate that either. I always either give a look or say something even if it is under my breath. The other thing I hate is parents opening food for their kids to eat as they wheel them in the cart before they have paid. To me that is rude and one of my biggest pet peeves.

Great point Grits. I've worked in retail and trust me....you get slammed at both ends. People angry you asked, angry if you assume wrong, angry you just didn't give it to them and that somehow you must be ripping them off. It's a no win situation for those who are touchy about the topic. But you don't know.....there's no way to know for sure.....people age differently and each race ages differently. My mom greyed very early. Oh she was so mad when they would ask. Finally after about 20 years of being asked......simply because her hair was grey....she figured fine give it to me...figuring eventually someone would ask for some form of ID to verify it. They never did.......so instead of being offended......especially since they never asked for the ID.....she considered herself lucky.....then bummed after all those years of discounts she passed up.

You don't know unless you ask.... for so many things. It shouldn't be crime to ask. If someone is offended for asking....it's their problem. I for one am terrible about judging ages. Why do you think on the other end they tell cashiers to card people you think might be 30 for the 18-21 rights? Some young people look older than what they are. We aren't mind readers......since some indications aren't 100% accurate, 100% of the time.......better to ask than assume.

So....in the rehlm of illegal immigration.....you can't be getting bent for asking when there are obvious indications that would lead people to wonder in the first place. I'll be darned if I will error on the side of illegal by assuming they're all innocent against the given facts.

Nicole....I remember being in line when this lady kept hitting me with her cart.....I mean a number of times.....she looked very impatient and this poor cashier was working as fast as she could. I got mad and told the woman ramming that cart up my butt wasn't going to get her to the front of line any faster.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)