Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by MontereySherry
    SicNTiredInSoCal - Having already gone through this with my daughter when she was in highschool.

Homecoming game parade there was a Mexican float flying a big Mexican Flag above a little Amercian Flag. I called the school and complained and explained it was up to the school to teach proper flag proceedures and that I found this offensive. The school has acted and 4 parades later I have never seen any Mexican Flags flying in any parade.

Literature for a state test was being handed out to students. Since there were not enough to go around, they were given to the Mexican students first. When I called the office I was told to download the information from the internet. Needless to say I voiced my opinion on this subject.

The Mexican kids had taken over a hallway of the school and threatened any white kid who entered this area. Unfortunately my daughter had a locker in this hallway and out of fear carried her books instead of using the locker. I attended a town meeting with our Congressman and after informing him of the situation other parents started backing me and demanded he look into it. Needless to say the hallway now belongs to all the students and the vice principle in charge of students was removed.

The point is that you do have the power to change things. Too many parents side with you but are afraid that if they speak up their children will be labeled racists. When you call the office and complain it will not reflect bad for your kids.

I might have been a thorn in the side of the school, but she managed to be so highly thought of at that school, that in her 3rd year of collegel her teachers are still contacting her and using her as a role model.
    Thanks for standing your ground. Please feel free to move to Minnesota anytime. We need more of you in this illegal santuary.

Quote Originally Posted by airdale
    Quote Originally Posted by MontereySherry
    SicNTiredInSoCal

I would call the school and ask them why they are singing Noche de Paz in Spanish? It has always been the custom in America to honor Christmas songs in both English and in the original language it was written. O'Tannenbaum is a great example of a Christmas Carol sung with one verse in German and one verse in English. Since Silent Night (Noche de Paz) is orignally German not Spanish. This song should only be taught to American students in German or English, unless it is a Spanish language class.

I would also demand that the school provide a English translation of any songs or literature being taught to our students.

I do not know the origin of Paseo En Trinto, but I would demand an English translation.
    I love it too, Who is that guy that Say's "Question with Boldness"?
    I still though highly doubt that one can get the program changed two weeks before Christmas.
    The key word is one. Are there any other pro- American, pro-English in our public schools parents involved yet? You've had a week to find out.
    Have you?
    I'm sure there are, but the question is. Who and where? And how do you connect, rally, and unite these parents and tax payers that are as frustrated as you, as myself, and all trying to advise you. Or give you the, "you should of", you could of", or, "if you would of". You can, you could, or you might.
    Sure it takes at least one that has the "chestnuts" to stand up and make noise. But a leader needs to know who their Friends are.
    I've had my ass kicked enough times with this issue to know that...
    The one standing alone is nothing but an easy target for the enemy.
    Familiarize yourself with your surroundings, make your Friends, know your advisories, carefully make your plans, and attack too win. No ifs, ands, or buts...Never question your strengths, weakness, or motives
    You already know this is serious, dangerous business. Be smart, be, aware, and be careful.
    Sometimes organizing and being patient enough to weigh your options is much more successful than the emotional, rushed, three week plan it seems to me you may have now. Hope you understand I been at this a while. If you jump in front of this bus, be ready to get hit.
    We're with you on line, but in the world of putting your name, your face, or signature to anti-illegal alien, anti-open borders, English only activism in a unfamiliar small town?.. Sadly I say better safe than sorry in this delusional and racist country we live in today.
    I just want everyone safe..Think, plan and win....No doubts......and.
    My mom gave me the greatest advise and I should have listened.
    "Don't mess with people you don't know about". Patience and persistance......Merry Christmas...

Patriots that will rally with you.....ALIPAC!
    Airdale...believe me I am choosing my words and actions carefully. No, I have not had a chance to meet up with other parents who might be offended by this. We've only been here a short time and it takes time to build relationships like that where you can bring this sort of thing up. So, I have no idea how the other parents feel. I imagine there are at least a few out there who feel as I do. I may ask this of the teacher in my eMail to her, but like a lot of teachers, she may just "overlook" that question...

You are right - I also highly doubt there is time to change the school program in only three weeks. I guess it's their right to do it - and it's my right to pull my kid out of the performance.

eMail to teacher going out later today - will post it here then.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

eMail to Teacher (edited to protect the innocent!)

Hi,

I wanted to start out by telling you how glad we are to be here in XXXX and at this lovely school. My kids are quite happy here and love their teachers. Thanks so much for your dedicated, hard work in teaching my kids!

However, we are disturbed (and quite frankly offended) that the Christmas performance is 2/3 Spanish. This is REALLY over the top and my son does not understand why he is being told he has to sing a song in a foreign language he does not understand when we live in an English speaking country.

I understand there is quite a high Native American population living here, so in the name of diversity - why is there not at least one Native American Christmas song? Could we not have had one English, one Spanish and one Native American song?

I have spoken to a lot of family, friends and acquaintances about this and their reaction to it was anything from shock to flat out anger. I don't think I am alone in my feelings and thoughts about this.

I will support my kids if they want to learn Spanish (as I did in high school) because it may benefit them in life later. But learning a new language should be their choice-not because it was forced upon them.

I would have been a little more understanding if there was some equality between languages for the performance, but since there is not, I will be pulling both kids out for school on Dec 16. I will not force my child to sit there and mimic words to a song they don't understand.

Am I the only parent who has taken an issue with this or is this something that Lilac school does every year? A Christmas performance that is only 1/3 English??? I'm blown away and every fiber of my being says to make a big HUGE stink about this, but I don't think it would be fair to vilify my kids or family as being "racist" - because they are not and certainly don't deserve it. For the record, our Mexican friends thought this was over the top and frankly just odd.

I have really given this a lot of thought, time and consideration. Please understand this is not something we are taking lightly or making a snap decision on. I guess the main question I have is am the only parent who feels like this or have there been others who feel this way?

I don't have Ms. (Principal's) eMail address, but please feel free to forward this to her and anyone else higher up in the district. I have no problem further discussing this with anyone who wants to. Thanks in advance for your understanding. I don't want to be a pain - but I just cant go along with this. I'm not offended at the Spanish songs so much as I'm offended at the inequality.

Regards,
    Me
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

....and the response back....

Thank you for letting me know of your concerns. I really wanted my students to have fun with the sing-a-long. There are two reasons why I made the decision to sing the Spanish song. One is that our class is performing with the 4th and 5th bilingual classes (my 5th graders have science with the 5th grade bilingual teacher) and the other is because I have many English learners in my class. So, I chose to sing “Noche de Pazâ€

Notice how the question I asked twice (about if anyone else had an issue with this) was ignored?

The thing is, when you capitulate to one "group" you have to do so for EVERYONE. How I miss the days when we were all just Americans with a shared language and culture.

working4change
    Great letter Sickntired. At least you addressed it head on and didn't just blindly accept it as many parents probably did. Perhaps you will know more like minded parents next year and can work towards a different outcome. Good luck

OP very good letter. I'm an American Hispanic and I truly believe English should be official language of this country. If people want to speak or sing songs in other languages at ethnic festivals fine, but songs at public school should be sung in English.
    ProEnglish:The English Language Advocates
    http://www.proenglish.org/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by working4change
    Great letter Sickntired. At least you addressed it head on and didn't just blindly accept it as many parents probably did. Perhaps you will know more like minded parents next year and can work towards a different outcome. Good luck
    Absolutly..Very classy work Sickntired. We are proud of you.

Thank you everyone. I had to keep editing it to keep it on point. Man, I could go on and on....

There is more to the story coming. I'll post it when I get some time later.

Thanks for your support!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456