This is a good letter to the editor. Recently several NFL games have had commericals in complete Spanish. Many people are NOT happy. Seen any of this in your area?!

Futbol and culture

I believe that the NFL and NBC-TV owe those of other ethnic heritages a huge apology for using the Sunday night, Sept. 23, football game as a venue to showcase Hispanic Heritage Month. Have you ever seen Bastille Day or Polish Heritage Month celebrated on national TV to such an extent?

The media is taking great advantage of its financial and political powers to shove Hispanic culture down the throats of Americans who expect nothing less than English as the spoken language on national (as in American) TV. If I wanted to watch the Bears game and NBC commercials in Spanish, I would have voluntarily tuned into Telemundo. As it was, I boycotted watching the rest of the game and tuned into English-speaking reruns.

Shame on the NFL and NBC for attempting to pioneer the inevitable push for Spanish as the spoken language in America! And, shame on the American people for letting it happen.

This is not an issue of racism. I am speaking out for the preservation of a country built on the hard labor of immigrants, like my children's great-grandparents, who made America their own by learning the language and customs.

They didn't expect this country to change signage or national television programs to Russian or Polish. They struggled and succeeded in learning America's language as part of the long process of becoming American citizens.

It is sad that the head honchos of the NFL and NBC are willing to sacrifice the heritage of American citizenship to the almighty buck. It may soon to be the almighty peso if Americans are not willing to stand up and fight for what they believe in.

Sandy Hartogh

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/news ... S1.article