Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Spanish-speaking Families Spread Out Across the U.S.

Spanish-speaking Families Spread Out Across the U.S.

Or, another possible explanation, according to the blogger is that Hispanics in the southwest are losing their Spanish while new arrivals are seeking jobs away from the border, where they have less to fear of census takers.

Leave it to the British news magazine The Economist to verify the obvious – the number of people speaking Spanish at home is growing in the United States – and at the same time break it out in a way few could have imagined.

The news magazine in its web site used Census Bureau data released last month from its latest American Community Survey conducted from 2005 to 2009, which shows that the percentage of people over 5-years-old who speak Spanish at home grew from 10.7 percent in the year 2000, to 12.1 percent by 2009.

Intuitively many people knew that.

What is new, however, is where The Economist says these Spanish speaking families are now living. The magazine says, in a blog posted on the web Monday, that the Survey conducted by the Census shows that:

· Fewer Spanish speaking families reside in New Mexico, Arizona, southwest Texas and southern Colorado.

· There is a distinct increase in Spanish-speaking Hispanic families in northern California, Oregon, Washington and western Idaho (Yes western Idaho).

· Spanish speaking families are more prevalent all across the central states and in even greater numbers in Florida, Georgia, and the eastern seaboard.

Two parts of the country remain impervious to change. That includes the northern states such as Montana and the Dakotas and the deep south in states like Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.

The anonymous blogger, carried under a title named Johnson for dictionary makes Samuel Johnson, said he is not certain what these figures show.

The blogger speculates that it might be because second-third (or even older) generation Hispanics have become more prosperous and are moving north, while keeping their Spanish alive in the homes. Or, another possible explanation, according to the blogger is that Hispanics in the southwest are losing their Spanish while new arrivals are seeking jobs away from the border, where they have less to fear of census takers.

To conclude, the blogger said that these interpretations are not mutually exclusive, and that it is worthwhile to note that the deep south does not have as many Hispanics as other parts of the country.

http://theamericano.com/2011/01/04/span ... es-spread/

"Gee! what a surprise!"
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This tells me that we need to beef up interior enforcement.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I think we need to pass English only laws that require states and the federal governments to speak in English, in all presentations, education, voting, notices, business and courts. Non-English speakers who are here legally can either learn English to understand what's going on around them or they can hire translators at their own expense. The one exception would be law enforcement notices on illegal immigration. Those should rightfully be posted and distributed in the language of the offenders.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    I think we need to pass English only laws that require states and the federal governments to speak in English, in all presentations, education, voting, notices, business and courts. Non-English speakers who are here legally can either learn English to understand what's going on around them or they can hire translators at their own expense. The one exception would be law enforcement notices on illegal immigration. Those should rightfully be posted and distributed in the language of the offenders.
    I agree fully with Judy except when it comes to city/state/federal services they shouldn't even be allowed to have an interpretor to apply.

The US needs to make it mandatory to gain citizenship or permanent residency for one to speak english fluently. Schools should only teach English other then having a foreign language course. However the foreign language course should be one of three on a national list of most advantageous languages currently to speak far as career. If want to learn spanish go check out rosetta stone... not US Schools.

Many countries including western countries require you to learn to speak their language. Look at Germany for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Syanis
    I agree fully with Judy except when it comes to city/state/federal services they shouldn't even be allowed to have an interpretor to apply.

The US needs to make it mandatory to gain citizenship or permanent residency for one to speak english fluently. Schools should only teach English other then having a foreign language course. However the foreign language course should be one of three on a national list of most advantageous languages currently to speak far as career. If want to learn spanish go check out rosetta stone... not US Schools.

Many countries including western countries require you to learn to speak their language. Look at Germany for example.
    Judy and Syanis are both right. All state and government correspondence written and oral should be in English only. All drivers license tests in all states in English only. We probably won't see the end of "press one for" and "press two for" as these salutations are practiced by independently owned companies. Good grief, it is so bad that one group in an eastern state petitioned to have the oath of U.S. citizenship recited in Spanish! Fortunately, it was denied. This is just how far this whole mess has been carried. It has to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by Syanis

Judy and Syanis are both right. All state and government correspondence written and oral should be in English only. All drivers license tests in all states in English only. We probably won't see the end of "press one for" and "press two for" as these salutations are practiced by independently owned companies. Good grief, it is so bad that one group in an eastern state petitioned to have the oath of U.S. citizenship recited in Spanish! Fortunately, it was denied. This is just how far this whole mess has been carried. It has to stop.
    \\

you are both 100 % right yes all drivers License tests In all states in English only. I have to Press 1 for English that BS im in Anmerican
    not Mexico
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

No kidding ..They have not only spread they breed and take over and not for the good..Why do they turn every place into a ghetto?
    America the beautful is what we were but they have turned it ugly,not just with the ghettos but the demands and crimes and have now brought back that ugly word Racist into our households..
    I wasn't raised in a racisit home and neither were my parents or grandparents. I never even thought about that word growing up because it wasn't an issues I see people for who they are not the color they were born with.
    I was friends with all who respected me and did not judge me for my color so why is it they are allowed to shove this word down my throat and abuse it for lies and scams and crimes and money!!
    We have come a long way and now they are abusing this word for there own race who are illegal.. Its all lies and they need to be slapped backed into mexico!