State cuts hurt those who need help

dailyrepublic.com
Posted by Letters to the editor
November 21, 2011

I get it, we need to make cuts. But how is it right that Gov. Brown signed a bill for illegal immigrants to get free schooling paid by the state? Why is President Obama still talking about the Dream Act and giving illegal immigrants free rides to go to college ahead of Americans? Where are the cuts here? Sounds like spending money we don’t have to me.

But oh yeah, I am an American who has in-home support services because I am disabled with multiple sclerosis in a wheelchair. For those who don’t know what multiple sclerosis is, it can be a chronically debilitating disease, as mine is. My neurologist said I qualified to receive in-home supportive service. Not a proud achievement, but a necessity. The next step for me would be a nursing without it. Who, at any age, wants to end up there? Plus, it’s over $4,000 per month.

The state wants to cut 20 percent of my hours every month. That would mean about 28 hours per month less help for me. That is also 28 hours less for my care provider who is legally working a state job. “How can we know for sure she is legal,â€