Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sunday Night Football Team labels in spanish

To All:

Did anyone else see this?

Second year in a row now that NBC Sports and the NFL are putting a spanish language tag on a Miami Dolphins football game.

The scoreboard on the TV -- the team labels were 'Jets de nueva york'
    and 'Dolphins de Miami'...

also kept throwing up an ad with spanish accent speaking saying
    'Futbol de Americano'

Had to send a letter. Anyone else that wants to -- go to nbcsports.com or msnbc.com or NFL.com --- don't have direct links.

or send snail mail letter to:

NBCSports.com
    National Broadcasting Company, Inc.
    30 Rockefeller Plaza
    New York, NY

NBC Sports & MSNBC & NFL

Dear Sirs:

On the Sunday Night Football broadcast, the team name labels are misspelled and backwards. The labels of ‘Jets de nueva york’ and ‘dolphins de miami’ make no sense because the game is in the United States. The words of ‘Futbol de Americano’ don’t have to be stated as per spanish because it is well known among Americans that NFL Pro Football taking place in Miami, Florida is taking place in the United States. It is well understood that English is the common language of the United States and so the team names should be in English.
    You are doing a disservice and not helping legal immigrants who need to learn English and assimilate to America by encouraging them to not learn English and creating a sense that it is not important to learn English. A bi-lingual or multilingual society causes division and lack of a common bond in supporting the U.S. Flag and the U.S. Country. For that matter, if you are going to put team names in spanish, then you also need to spell the team names in chinese, german, arabic, russian, french, hmong, etc. so that it fills the whole screen and all such foreign entities can be sure they can understand it is an american football game and be sure where they are in the world on a map. Sense they surely know where they are in the world they need to learn English. Since it makes no sense to have all sorts of languages filling the TV screen and football games, English being the common language of the United States, labeling and titles need to be put in English so that those that need to learn English would have incentive and feel better about becoming an American. By the way, it has nothing to do with the how many or the existence of a hispanic population because there are many others races also watching the broadcast, it has to do with speaking a language, English.

Ronald King
    United States
    American People

Thanks for this post! I was also watching the game and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this! I turned the game off in disgust and refused to watch it. I wonder if this has anything to do with the NFL trying to pander to hispanics because Sanchez is the quarterbacking the Jets and it might perhaps attract hispanics to the sport who otherwise might not watch.

I will be sending a letter as well...
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

As a Jets fan I watched the entire game. I yelled at the TV more than a few times though. It was explained that this BS was to Honor Hispanic Heritage Month. I got the impression it has been done for a few years now.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: Sunday Night Football Team labels in spanish

Quote Originally Posted by RonLaws
    To All:

Did anyone else see this?

Second year in a row now that NBC Sports and the NFL are putting a spanish language tag on a Miami Dolphins football game.

The scoreboard on the TV -- the team labels were 'Jets de nueva york'
    and 'Dolphins de Miami'...

also kept throwing up an ad with spanish accent speaking saying
    'Futbol de Americano'
    They also had New York in Spanish on the score. I know I was pretty mad when I saw this. Football is not a Hispanic game or any other country or race. IT IS AMERICAN.
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

Re: Sunday Night Football Team labels in spanish

Quote Originally Posted by bigtex
    They also had New York in Spanish on the score. I know I was pretty mad when I saw this. Football is not a Hispanic game or any other country or race. IT IS AMERICAN.
    You must have missed the label saying: "Futbol Americano."

Banned
    In 20 years or less there will be no NFL

It will be soccer only

Deal with it

Banned
    There is Hispanic Heritage Month? Seriously? Why?

pattyk,
    Hispanic Heritage Month is the period when people recognize the contributions of Hispanic Americans to the United States and to celebrate Hispanic heritage and culture. The observation started in 1968 as Hispanic Heritage Week was approved by President Lyndon Johnson and was expanded by President Ronald Reagan in 1988 to cover a 30-day period starting on September 15 and ending on October 15. It was enacted into law on August 17, 1988 on the approval of Public Law 100-402.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_H ... tage_Month

What is astouding about this ,is if you read more of the article it mentions the Spanish and their exploration in this part of the continent.
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

So do they celebrate the 4th of July in those countries? DOUBT IT!
    Wishing to pay special tribute to the Hispanic tradition, and having in mind the fact that our five Central American neighbors celebrate their Independence Day on the fifteenth of September and the Republic of Mexico on the sixteenth, the Congress by House Joint Resolution 1299, has requested the President to issue annually a proclamation designating the week including September 15 and 16 as National Hispanic Heritage Week.
    http://www.loc.gov/law/help/commemorati ... ritage.php
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Since most Hispanic Americans know English, I don't understand the need to reach them in Spanish. Were they catering to the illegal alien element again? Seems to be a trend in this country all for a buck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast