Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

A tale of two Schools

I have personally experienced and observed this:

One school is in an upscale suburban area, largely white. The facility is clean and maintained, with plenty of computers. The school has clearly stated high expectations for ALL students behaviorally and academically. Habitually coming to school late, unprepared and unexcused absences are unacceptable. Insubordination and disrespect of fellow students and staff is not tolerated. Consequences are real and swift. The staff works together weekly for common planning and school wide goals. 85% of the students will graduate, and most will go to college or find employment.

Another school is in an urban area, not exactly inner city, definitely “diverse” 40% minority, most of those Hispanic. The facility is nice, maintained and also has plenty of computers. There are special “programs” and specially trained teachers for English learners… in short, help abounds for an immigrant population. Expectation for student behavior is low, but especially low for non-white students. Teachers average 400 tardies per year, or 400 interruptions to instruction. There are no consequences from the administration for this behavior. If students come unprepared, the teacher is expected to provide materials and not make an issue of it. More than half of the Hispanic students do not attend class regularly, and phone calls home go unanswered or the parent does not speak English. Many Caucasian students will fail to attend class, but one or two phone calls gets them back on track. Most of the Caucasian students will graduate from this school, most of the Hispanic students will not. Many will lament the “racist” system for their failure. This school also requires certain fees for classes with lab requirements. Almost none of the Hispanic students pay the $5-10 fees needed to run labs, so, the other students pick up the tab as teachers raise fees every year. Ironically, many of the non-fee paying students pull up to school (when they come) in their cars while talking on a cell phone and listening to their I-pod.

California is about to throw out its exit exam, and 8th grade level test required for graduation because Latinos complained and sued that they could not pass this test. What will be next, individual teachers forced to throw out all of their tests? We have already lowered expectations so far in many of our schools. Where does it end?

I think this true story simply highlights the costs that we are all paying for this influx. Isn’t it clear that the costs are not just in dollar amounts?

yeah you're right. This is what I'm ready to fight for. We are headed towards a third world hell

Hey Biogrl, did you see the news report about some Catholic Church official here in Califoria saying that he is encouraging EVERYONE to vote this election? He said it in such a way that it seemed to encourage ILLEGALS to get out and vote. Schools today, voting booths tomorrow!!
    There's no system set up to check to see if California voters are citizens, it's all on the "Honor System" so of course we know how honorable the illegals and their supporters are.
    <div>Want some ICE with that cervesa?</div>

Maybe we should just close down all the schools.

Haven't you noticed, every election there's another bond measure for schools? They need more schools, or more classrooms, or fewer students per classroom, or money for this or that. AND STILL CALIFORNIA schools have nearly the lowest ratings in the country.

VOTE NO ON ALL SCHOOL BOND MEASURES. NO NO NO NO
    <div>Want some ICE with that cervesa?</div>

But..... but.... WAIT!!!!!

I have been told over and over and over and then a few gazillion more times that.....

DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH!!!!!

I have been told and warned and informed and preached at and told again and and again a bazillion times......

EMBRACE MULTICULTURALISM!!!!!!!!!!!

I f I don't I must be a ... a...... sniff, the horror, a RACIST!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KickEmOut
    Haven't you noticed, every election there's another bond measure for schools? They need more schools, or more classrooms, or fewer students per classroom, or money for this or that. AND STILL CALIFORNIA schools have nearly the lowest ratings in the country.

VOTE NO ON ALL SCHOOL BOND MEASURES. NO NO NO NO
    The illegals will all "vote" YES YES YES and nobody will check to see if they are legal voters or not. YOU and I will be forced to build and maintain their schools with OUR money. The illegals aren't going to be paying anything for these schools.
    “Homeland Security? What Homeland Security ?”

I know all about the multicultural line. The really sad part is, that we have latino students who do work hard, who are just trying to stay above the fray. We have legal latino students who hate the fact that illegals are giving them a bad name..one student of such descent acutally asked in class why the Mexicans don't go back and fix their country. We have LOTS of latino girls who start off strong, but get dragged down by their friends who think going to school and learning is just not cool. I realize now that we have let too many in too fast, and they are not assimilating, they are not interested in assimilating.

Quote Originally Posted by obbop
    But..... but.... WAIT!!!!!

I have been told over and over and over and then a few gazillion more times that.....

DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH!!!!!

I have been told and warned and informed and preached at and told again and and again a bazillion times......

EMBRACE MULTICULTURALISM!!!!!!!!!!!

I f I don't I must be a ... a...... sniff, the horror, a RACIST!!!!!!!

Exactly. If Kennedy sends me one more response about diversity, etc. I think I will puke. They are missing the point as usual.
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

It's not racist

There is nothing racist about pointing out the obvious differences between a fairly well educated American population and a huge influx of uneducated peasants coming from Mexico. Lots of those kids have never been to school and then they get dropped off in our system while the parents work two jobs. Or, they are born here but mom/dad can't read or write, and they never show to back to school night, parent teacher conference etc. The kids figure out very quickly that when it comes to school, they are on their own. So, behavior problems abound with this population, and our schools are taking the BLAME for it all. LA county can't get enough certificated teachers. GEE, I wonder why not? Doesn't it sound like fun to go and tough it out with 5000 angry disillusioned kids in a high school? So, this social cost is passed off again to you and me, tax paying Americans of any creed (my good friend is a long time hispanic legal immigrant and this stuff angers her too) I would rather pay more for my produce, thank you very much.