The other day when there were storms in the area, I noticed that WRAL put a special black bar running across the screen with information in Spanish. While I am all for reasonable safety measures for all people, I felt this was unnecessary and distracting.
I wrote Jimmy Goodman of WRAL and told him so. I explained that Spanish-only speaking people were not watching his program which had no SAP. I also told him that most all of the Spanish-only speaking people in our country are here illegally and that many are illiterate in their own language. So the scroll did little but distract English-speaking American citizens and gave us an excuse to change the channel. I explained that there are Spanish-language channels that could run that information.
He wrote back and called me angry and hate filled, and for the first time he didn't care if a viewer went over to WTVD. He told me they did not have any political agendas and that they just wanted people to be safe.
I wrote back and said there are a lot of people who can't see well and that they might be able to save lives by increasing the size of the type of the scroll so people could read it. (Or course that would make it necessary to do away with the Spanish.) I also said he might save a life by putting other languages on screen too. I also told him that I noticed that Spanish-language stations don't run scrolls in English across their screen.
I told Mr. Goodman that I don't hate anyone but that I have love for my country and my fellow American citizens, and that I see media types giving into a culture that is pushing itself on us, driven by illegal immigration that is draining our pocketbooks, making us less safe and putting our sovereignty and American culture in danger.
I wrote that if we do not accommodate illegals, except in emergency situations where they can be reached (and this was not one of them), and they cannot get a job, they will return to their homeland and not be here to drive drunk and kill our American friends and family members (for instance).
Mr. Goodman wrote back and said that Spanish-language stations have little capacity to get weather info. I wrote him back and said that if they truly just wanted to help save lives they'd email the stations the info and let them put it up.
He told me that I was the only person to complain about this so I'm afraid he's going to ignore my comments. If you agree with me and would like to comment, please send him an email, being nice of course, saying that you hope the scrolls in Spanish are not an indication of the direction the station is headed - trying to accommodate two languages, one of which is spoken by the majority of the illegal aliens in our community, and that such accommodation of Spanish gives aid and comfort to radical, left-wing, open-borders types who not only want Spanish to be part of our everyday life from now on but that they want to make legal the illegals who drive the urge to accommodate Spanish. This is indeed a culture war and I'd like WRAL on our side of the battlefield. Jimmy Goodman's email address is jgoodmon2@cbcnewmedia.com.
Thanks.[/url]