Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Trump: It’s ‘better’ I skip WH dinner

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Trump: It’s ‘better’ I skip WH dinner

Trump: It’s ‘better’ I skip WH dinner

02/27/17 09:15 PM EST

President Trump says his decision to skip this year’s White House Correspondents’ Association dinner is for the best.

“A lot of the stories are made up,” he said of the media in a Fox News interview excerpt released Monday. "I believe a lot of the stories are pure fiction, they just pull it out of air.”

“Now, with all that being said, I just thought it be better if I didn’t do the dinner,” Trump added in the interview, which airs in full on Fox News’s “Fox & Friends” Tuesday. "That doesn’t mean I’m not going to do it next year. But I just thought it would be better if I didn’t do it this year.”

Trump announced last Saturday he will not attend the 2017 White House Correspondents’ Dinner, marking a break with past presidents.“I will not be attending the White House
    Correspondents’ Dinner this year,” he tweeted. "Please wish everyone well and have a great evening.”

The White House Correspondents’ Association (WHCA) organizes the annual event, which honors journalists who cover the White House and awards scholarships to aspiring reporters.

Jeff Mason, the WHCA’s president, said in a statement Saturday that this year’s edition will continue despite Trump’s absence.

“The WHCA takes note of President Donald Trump’s announcement on Twitter that he does not plan to attend the dinner, which has been and will continue to be a celebration of the First

Amendment and the important role played by an independent news media in a healthy republic,” he said.

“We look forward to shining a spotlight at the dinner on some of the best political journalism of the past year and recognizing the promising students who represent the next generation of our profession,” Mason added of the April 29 dinner.

The WHCA typically invites the president and their staff members to each year’s dinner, where a comedian then roasts the commander-in-chief ahead of their equally lighthearted remarks.

Trump’s decision follows rising tensions between the president and the media over its coverage of his administration.

The White House last Friday blocked multiple news outlets from covering Spicer’s question-and-answer session there, sparking backlash from several of the organizations impacted.

CNN, The New York Times, The Hill, Politico, BuzzFeed, the Los Angeles Times and the New York Daily News were among the outlets kept from the huddle.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...skip-wh-dinner

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty
    by joining our E-mail Alerts athttp://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I'm so glad he's not going to attend the dinner. Great decision.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn