Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Trump expected to endorse Ryan Friday

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Trump expected to endorse Ryan Friday

Trump expected to endorse Ryan Friday

By Dana Bash, Jim Acosta and Eric Bradner, CNN
    Updated 4:28 PM ET, Fri August 5, 2016

Washington (CNN)Donald Trump is expected to endorse House Speaker Paul Ryan on Friday, moving to mend an intra-party rift that has put the Republican presidential nominee at odds with its highest-ranking elected official.

Trump's endorsement of Ryan would come at an 8 p.m. ET rally in Green Bay, Wisconsin, two sources said.

The move comes just days ahead of Ryan's Tuesday primary matchup with challenger Paul Nehlen, who has played up Trump's refusal to back the speaker -- as well as Ryan's tepid support for Trump.

It's not clear that Ryan is keen to receive Trump's endorsement. He repeatedly told Wisconsin radio stations in recent days that he's only seeking endorsements from the voters in his district, and a Ryan aide said he hadn't received word as of early Friday afternoon of Trump's plans.

"We have no knowledge of this and it's a question for their campaign," the aide said.

Trump had balked at endorsing Ryan on Tuesday in an interview with The Washington Post, a move that intensified concerns about his presidential campaign within the GOP as Trump already faced controversy over his criticism over the weekend of the parents of an American soldier killed in combat.

"I like Paul, but these are horrible times for our country. We need very strong leadership. We need very, very strong leadership. And I'm just not quite there yet. I'm not quite there yet," Trump said in the Post interview.

The remarks infuriated many in the Republican establishment, and a GOP source told CNN Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus was especially frustrated because Ryan and Priebus, both from Wisconsin, are very close. On Friday, Priebus announced that he and his wife voted for Ryan.

Follow

Reince Priebus
    @Reince

Sally and I were proud to vote for @SpeakerRyan - also nice to deliver the ballots in person at Somers Town Hall.
    12:00 PM - 5 Aug 2016

Trump's running mate, Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, did endorse Ryan the following day -- a move that both Pence and Trump have said occurred with Trump's blessing.

"I strongly support Paul Ryan, strongly endorse his re-election," Pence, a longtime congressional colleague of Ryan's, said in a phone interview with Fox News. "He is a longtime friend. He's a strong conservative leader. I believe we need Paul Ryan in leadership in the Congress of the United States."

Ryan told WTMJ's Charlie Sykes, a Wisconsin talk radio host, on Friday morning that he hadn't spoken with Trump since the Republican convention ended last month.

Ryan, who withheld his own endorsement of Trump for weeks after Trump had clinched the party's nomination, deflected Sykes' questions about whether he might withdraw that support.

"I'm not going to get into any hypotheticals," he said. "I see no purpose in doing this tit for tat petty back and forth with Donald Trump cause it serves no good purpose in my mind."

Ryan had dismissed the importance of a Trump endorsement Friday morning in another local radio interview with WISN's Jay Weber.

"I'm not going to try and psychoanalyze this stuff," the House speaker told Weber. "Honestly the endorsement, personally the ones that I care about are the ones from the people here in Wisconsin, my first congressional district employers. So you know I'm just going to rise above this stuff, and I'm not going to get involved in some sort of petty back and forth, I see no purpose in doing that."

Trump surrogate Ben Carson told CNN's Wolf Blitzer in a Friday interview that he believes Trump "will come on board" with Ryan, though he did not specify when.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/05/politi...rse-paul-ryan/

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Don't like it.
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    Don't like it.
    I have noticed that none of the politicians seem to care what we like or don't like. They pretty much do as they please. That used to just be after the election but now they even do as they please before the election.
    NO AMNESTY

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2 View Post
    I have noticed that none of the politicians seem to care what we like or don't like. They pretty much do as they please. That used to just be after the election but now they even do as they please before the election.
    I would have preferred the backstabbing after the primary if it has been designed to occur.

The Trump Rally in Green Bay is set to begin at 7 pm Wisconsin time, 8 pm EST.
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)