Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Trump: Give me the wall, I'll give you 'Dreamers'

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Trump: Give me the wall, I'll give you 'Dreamers'

JAN 4 2018, 1:15 PM ET

Trump: Give me the wall, I’ll give you ‘Dreamers’

by ALI VITALI

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump pressed for action on immigration Thursday, saying the country's system has failed Americans and pressing for his wall on the southern border.

Any legislation to address the residency status of "Dreamers," currently in limbo, "must secure the border with a wall," the president said, flanked by Republican senators who came to the White House for a meeting on immigration.

"We’d love to take care of DACA, but we’re only going to do it under these conditions," he concluded, laying down a red line as Congress gears up for yet another round of fights to fund the government.

Play

Trump: DACA 'going to be terrific' with support from Democrats 1:13

He also demanded that future legislation further restrict visa overstays and so-called chain migration, and end the visa lottery.
    Among the issues complicating the funding battle to keep the government running is what to do about "Dreamers," which has remained an open question since the Justice Department announced last fall that it would end the Obama-era program that allowed young people who came to the United States illegally as children to remain in the country.

Trump kicked the issue to Congress in September, while promising to "resolve the DACA issue with heart and compassion."
    But actions to aid the young immigrants could upset Trump's base, who voted in support of the hard-line immigration policies he espoused during the campaign. Chief among those campaign promises was the wall, which Trump imagined at campaign rallies as "big" and "beautiful" — and maybe even branded with his name.

On Wednesday, senior administration officials met with House Speaker Paul Ryan, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer to discuss potential paths forward for a budget agreement. DACA and the border were among the topics mentioned.

A joint statement from the White House, Ryan and McConnell issued after the meeting warned against "holding funding for our troops hostage for immigration policy."

Asked as she left the meeting if the group was getting anywhere, Pelosi told reporters, "I hope so."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...a-deal-n834671

Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    He also demanded that future legislation further restrict visa overstays and so-called chain migration, and end the visa lottery.
    Okay, someone please tell me I'm not reading this correctly. When he says future legislation is he talking about a future promise that will come later down the road?

Hmm, I also see there is not mention of a mandatory E-verify.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

E-verify wasn't on his original 70 point list. He might add it though.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

They need to get those points in now! The Wall is secondary as long as they can get better border surveillance going. Sections of the wall would be very valuable but this would be a long drawn out process, whereas chain migration could bes topped now, the visas stopped now and E Verify implemented allowing it to have its effects in time.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Captainron View Post
    They need to get those points in now! The Wall is secondary as long as they can get better border surveillance going. Sections of the wall would be very valuable but this would be a long drawn out process, whereas chain migration could bes topped now, the visas stopped now and E Verify implemented allowing it to have its effects in time.
    They have the list. Trump gave Nancy and Chuck a 70 point list of what he wants to do a DACA deal 2 months ago. Nancy and Chuck replied "it's a non-starter".

That's why I said DACA is dead as a door nail 2 months ago.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    They have the list. Trump gave Nancy and Chuck a 70 point list of what he wants to do a DACA deal 2 months ago. Nancy and Chuck replied "it's a non-starter".

That's why I said DACA is dead as a door nail 2 months ago.
    NO, no, no, it's not dead as a door nail! Start thinking like that and we end up losing. Trump is notorious for changing his mind on a dime. We must keep the pressure on him.
    Last edited by MW; 01-05-2018 at 02:57 AM.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Hasn't there already been border wall funding---that is still ready to go? I mean as much as they could reasonably build near to the major corridors. So this is somewhat redundant---and there are more critical things to focus on. PLUS border surveillance can be done by other means.

I think "the Wall" is at this stage pretty much just a talking point and a media theme. They need to concentrate on the really CRITICAL Legislative changes.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David

The ball is in a Republican-controlled Congress. That's where the pressure needs to be, seems to me. But of course we need to keep pressure on the White House and Trump to hold the line and prevent a bill from passing Congress. Trump's 70 item legislative list which I think has grown to 72 points now with E-Verify and a Visa Tracking System, stacks the deck pretty good, seems to me. Nancy and Chuck said it was a "non-starter" when it was a 70 item list. And that was when the fake polls were out that said the vast majority of Americans supported DACA Amnesty, including a majority of Republicans. Now we have the NumbersUSA poll that tells the truth about how Americans really feel about "amnesty" for any illegal aliens. THANK YOU NUMBERSUSA!!!

The important thing (seems to me) is to make it absolutely clear that Americans oppose amnesty in any form by any name and anyone who votes for it, especially Republicans as well as other Trump Supporters that includes a lot of Independents and quite a few Democrats as well.

Of course, that's just my opinion, because I am 100% opposed to any DACA DEAL of any kind and can not believe that CIS and FAIR proposed such nonsense as this eternally DUMB DACA DEAL to a new President.
    Last edited by Judy; 01-05-2018 at 03:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainron View Post
    Hasn't there already been border wall funding---that is still ready to go? I mean as much as they could reasonably build near to the major corridors. So this is somewhat redundant---and there are more critical things to focus on. PLUS border surveillance can be done by other means.

I think "the Wall" is at this stage pretty much just a talking point and a media theme. They need to concentrate on the really CRITICAL Legislative changes.
    No, there is zero funding for the wall. NONE. Not even for the 70 or so miles for the crucial San Diego and El Paso high traffic areas. The funding is in the proposed budget, but it hasn't passed the Senate yet. It's passed the House but not the Senate.