Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TX: Pete Olson, District 22, Email on Immigration

Thank you for contacting me regarding our nation's approach to immigration and the current problems we are facing. I appreciate having your views on this important issue.

I believe that respect for the law is critical to maintain a safe and free society. We have an obligation to insist that persons entering our country do so in a legal and orderly manner. I oppose a system of blanket, penalty-free amnesty for those who enter our country illegally.

In light of this, my colleagues and I - both Democrats and Republicans - introduced the H.Res. 1026. This resolution first recognizes the contributions immigrants have made to our society since its founding. Second, the resolution reaffirms that the continued peace, prosperity, liberty, and national security of the United States depend upon effective immigration enforcement policies. Finally, we give clear support to the E-Verify program and seek to provide sufficient border security.

Before Congress can take up any real immigration reform measures we must ensure that our border is secure. Our land and sea borders must be fully protected from those who would do us harm, whether terrorists, drug smugglers or unscrupulous human traffickers. As such, I am a cosponsor of H.R. 3308, the Secure America through Verification and Enforcement Act (SAVE Act) that takes important steps to fully securing out borders.

I am also a cosponsor of H.R. 1868, the Birthright Citizenship Act, which would prevent granting citizenship to children born in the U.S., but whose parents are not legally in our country. This is an important step to remove incentives for immigrants that enter our nation by breaking our immigration laws. We must remember that while we are a nation of immigrants, we are also a nation of laws.

As a Texan, I am proud of the rich and beneficial relationship Texas has long had with Mexico, a country we share a 1200 mile border with. This relationship is part of what makes our state great. Unfortunately, it has also put us on the front lines of the immigration problem our country currently faces. I look forward to addressing this issue in Congress and will certainly keep your thoughts in mind as we move forward.

Once again, thank you for contacting me; I am honored to represent you in the U.S. House of Representatives. Also, please feel free to visit my website, www.house.gov/olson for more information on constituent services, current legislation, and to sign up for my E-newsletter.

Very respectfully,

Pete Olson
    Member of Congress

In light of this, my colleagues and I - both Democrats and Republicans - introduced the H.Res. 1026. This resolution first recognizes the contributions immigrants have made to our society since its founding.
    Why? Jeffrey Daimler was a very hard worker, cutting up the bodies of his victims and freezing and eating them.

Why even consider recognizing contributions of a class of criminals?