Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

U.S. Can’t Trace Foreign Visitors on Expired Visas

[quote]DALLAS — Eight years after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and despite repeated mandates from Congress, the United States still has no reliable system for verifying that foreign visitors have left the country.

Skip to next paragraph
    Enlarge This Image

Ron T. Ennis/Fort Worth Star-Telegram
    Hosam Maher Husein Smadi entered the United States legally, but then overstayed his visa.

Related
    Times Topics: Immigration and Emigration
    Enlarge This Image

Courtney Perry/Dallas Morning News
    In Italy, Tex., Mr. Smadi was able to work at a restaurant.
    New concern was focused on that security loophole last week, when Hosam Maher Husein Smadi, a 19-year-old Jordanian who had overstayed his tourist visa, was accused in court of plotting to blow up a Dallas skyscraper.

Last year alone, 2.9 million foreign visitors on temporary visas like Mr. Smadi’s checked in to the country but never officially checked out, immigration officials said. While officials say they have no way to confirm it, they suspect that several hundred thousand of them overstayed their visas.

Over all, the officials said, about 40 percent of the estimated 11 million illegal immigrants in the United States came on legal visas and overstayed.

Mr. Smadi’s case has brought renewed calls from both parties in Congress for Department of Homeland Security officials to complete a universal electronic exit monitoring system.

Representative Lamar Smith of Texas, the senior Republican on the House Judiciary Committee, said the Smadi case “points to a real need for an entry and exit system if we are serious about reducing illegal immigration.â€
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Immigration analysts said that given the difficulties of enforcing the United States’ vast borders, it remains primarily up to law enforcement officials to thwart terrorism suspects who do not have records that would draw scrutiny before they enter the United States
    And in the same breath the government (Napolitano) wants to take the powers away from our law enforcement?
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

And in the same breath the government (Napolitano) wants to take the powers away from our law enforcement?

The last three administrations have made sure the borders remain opened, porous and dangerous. Bush even went so far as to jail two patrolmen to make sure the “seriousâ€

NO EXIT PROCEDURES, EVER!

Why aren't the US Marshalls after there people? Why aren't Warrants issued?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Here in Georgia...many of those over-staying their Visas are Indians. The government either has no idea…or in my opinion is ok with the status quo. The Indians come here much like those who pour across the Southern Border….to take advantage of stupidity.

In the last year...large numbers of racketeering schemes were disrupted, but not before millions in theft. These schemes had been in place for a long time and were apparently too sophisticated for our law enforcement.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)