Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned
    First of all I would pull any kid of mine out of UofC after this nutcase posted this memo. AZ1070 has no connection to the shooting. The shooter threatened his former college's officials and many other people. They had no connection to the State Law. I doubt he cannot even understand AZ1070 to start with. Its time UofC tosses Birgeneau out on his less than educated butt.

What in the hell is this fool talking about?? What does any of this have to do with illegal immigration? A deranged man killed 6 people and wounded a dozen more, correct me if I'm wrong but, weren't they all white?

Yes Chancellor (what a joke!) there IS a climate of demonization and hate speech...against white people and you have just confirmed it.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by miguelina
    What in the hell is this fool talking about?? What does any of this have to do with illegal immigration? A deranged man killed 6 people and wounded a dozen more, correct me if I'm wrong but, weren't they all white?

Yes Chancellor (what a joke!) there IS a climate of demonization and hate speech...against white people and you have just confirmed it.

Thank You dear!! I could not have said it better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by miguelina

Exactly! This incident has nothing to do with illegal immigration, right wingers, the teaparty, etc. Leave to the left though to use any incident to push their political agenda and to demonize the right and especially whites of the right. They sicken me!

U.C. Berkeley, and Berkeley in general is the breeding ground for the far left liberal loons. They are so far out their that they have lost all credibility. I don't bother reading anything from either U.C. Berkeley or Columbia University.

Cal's Robert Birgeneau talks about Tucson shooting
    Phillip Matier,Andrew Ross

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

UC Berkeley Chancellor Robert Birgeneau has come out swinging over the shooting spree that wounded Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and killed six people, linking it to Arizona's "discrimination against undocumented persons" and a "climate in which demonization of others goes unchallenged and hateful speech is tolerated."

In a campus-wide e-mail message, Birgeneau said: "It is not a coincidence that this calamity has occurred in a state which has legislated discrimination against undocumented persons."

He added that "this same mean-spirited xenophobia played a major role in the defeat of the Dream Act by our legislators in Washington, leaving many exceptionally talented and deserving young people, including our undocumented students, painfully in limbo."

The Dream Act would have provided a path to legal residency for undocumented immigrants brought to this country as children.

Birgeneau's office said Tuesday that the statement spoke for itself and he would have no further comment.

This isn't the first time Birgeneau has offered up social commentary.

A couple of years back, the chancellor argued that Berkeley's tree-sitter protests against a new sports training center were based on "racism against our underrepresented minority student athletes."

www.sfgate.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The American people are smart enough to see through the left's attempt to capitalize off a tragedy. This is a typical response from the Obama administration and the Democrats. What they are going to do is put an end to the Democratic Party.
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

Quote Originally Posted by bigtex
    The American people are smart enough to see through the left's attempt to capitalize off a tragedy. This is a typical response from the Obama administration and the Democrats. What they are going to do is put an end to the Democratic Party.
    As much as I hate to disagree with you on this, I think experience has taught us that you're being overly optimistic when it comes to the perceptions of a majority of the American people. You need to remember that about half are non-taxpayers (many of them actually on the social dole), and quite a few of the remaining half are too busy treading water trying to keep afloat to be concerned (or often even aware) about the political climate around them. Of course then you have the self-absorbed and the profiteers added to that.

No my friend, you are among the rare few who actually get it (I'd estimate less that 20%).

Quote Originally Posted by jean
    Cal's Robert Birgeneau talks about Tucson shooting
    Phillip Matier,Andrew Ross

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A couple of years back, the chancellor argued that Berkeley's tree-sitter protests against a new sports training center were based on "racism against our underrepresented minority student athletes."
    We like to think that education leads to the ability to think rationally, but it looks as if Birgeneau and the shooter are both living in very private realities.

UC Berkeley chancellor's e-mail linking Tucson rampage to issue of immigration draws criticism
    Campus-wide e-mail ties Tucson rampage to Arizona's crackdown on illegal immigrants and the failure of the DREAM Act.
    By Howard Blume, Los Angeles Times

January 14, 2011

The chancellor of UC Berkeley is drawing criticism for sending a campuswide e-mail that linked a Tucson shooting rampage with Arizona's crackdown on illegal immigrants and the failure of the DREAM Act.

In the e-mail, sent Monday, Chancellor Robert J. Birgeneau condemned a "climate in which demonization of others goes unchallenged and hateful speech is tolerated."

He continued, postulating on factors that may have motivated Jared Lee Loughner, the alleged gunman in Saturday's shootings, in which six people died, including a 9-year-old girl, and 13 were injured, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.): "I believe that it is not a coincidence that this calamity has occurred in a state which has legislated discrimination against undocumented persons."

Birgeneau was referring to the new Arizona law that empowers local police to demand proof of citizenship or legal residency when they suspect that a person is in the country illegally. His comments, unusually political for a prominent college leader, were quickly picked up by Fox News and drew a largely critical response.

"From the 'CAPITOL' of liberal dolts," one commenter wrote on the Fox website.

A leader of the Philadelphia-based Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, a civil liberties group, also criticized the chancellor's remarks. "The supposition that political expression created a climate that led Loughner to his choice is an idea that seems to have sprung from whole cloth out of the minds of people who likely were upset beforehand about 'rhetoric' and 'hateful' speech, including, apparently, Chancellor Birgeneau," Adam Kissel wrote.

Diane Schrader, on the NewsReal Blog of the David Horowitz Freedom Center, accused Birgeneau of delivering "a nasty political rant even while condemning — you guessed it — nasty political rants!"

Birgeneau also commented in his e-mail on the recent failure in Congress of the DREAM Act, which would have created a path to citizenship for children of some illegal immigrants. "This same mean-spirited xenophobia played a major role in the defeat of the DREAM Act by legislators in Washington, leaving many exceptionally talented and deserving young people, including our own undocumented students, painfully in limbo with regard to their futures in this country," the chancellor wrote.

At UC Berkeley itself, a frequent hotbed of student activism, the issue has caused little stir so far; students have yet to return from winter break, campus spokeswoman Claire Holmes said.

"This was his personal view," Holmes said of the e-mail. "He's been a long-standing proponent of something like a DREAM Act, so these talented individuals have a pathway to citizenship, so they are better able to make a contribution to society."

www.latimes.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast