Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Virginia Restores Right to Vote to Thousands of Felons

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

I think you're over-rating your group. Most thinking people believe that when you are a citizen of the United States there are certain rights that can't be denied you. After all, slaves weren't allowed to vote, because OH MY, they might have voted to end their own slavery, and blacks weren't allowed to vote without paying poll taxes and such, because OH MY, they might have voted to end black codes, Jim Crow laws and discrimination against them, and why women weren't allowed to vote for so long, because OH MY, they might have voted to end their own discrimination.

There are a lot of prisoners with records who are innocent, there are a lot of prisoners who experienced all types of problems in society that led to them becoming criminals, there are a lot of prisoners who didn't get fair trials or have fair judges and sentencing, there are a lot of prisoners who are victims of mandatory sentencing laws that were passed to enrich private prisons, there a lot of prisoners who are mistreated and abused in our prisons, there are a lot of Americans in prisons with illegal aliens and gang bangers who are harmed by them, there are a lot of prisoners who are raped in prison.

Citizen prisoners have every right to vote and our denying them that right does not make our society better, it makes it worse.

In my thinking opinion.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Jail survey: 7 in 10 felons register as Democrats | Washington Examiner

www.washingtonexaminer.com/jail-survey-nearly-34-felons-register-as.../2541412

Jan 1, 2014 - A new study of how criminals vote found that most convicts register Democratic, ... 73 percent of convicts who turn out for presidential elections would vote Democrat. ... Trump pushes back against demands he change his approach .... million eligible voters in jail, about 2.5 percent of the voting age population...
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2 View Post

Jan 1, 2014 - A new study of how criminals vote found that most convicts register Democratic, ... 73 percent of convicts who turn out for presidential elections would vote Democrat. ... Trump pushes back against demands he change his approach .... million eligible voters in jail, about 2.5 percent of the voting age population...
    I suspect that is because liberals are typically softer on crime. Also, I'm sure the majority of prisoners are coming from the inner cities and many of the big cities in this country seem to be liberally controlled. That is just an opinion on my part because I have no facts to back it up.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    I think you're over-rating your group. Most thinking people believe that when you are a citizen of the United States there are certain rights that can't be denied you. After all, slaves weren't allowed to vote, because OH MY, they might have voted to end their own slavery, and blacks weren't allowed to vote without paying poll taxes and such, because OH MY, they might have voted to end black codes, Jim Crow laws and discrimination against them, and why women weren't allowed to vote for so long, because OH MY, they might have voted to end their own discrimination.

There are a lot of prisoners with records who are innocent, there are a lot of prisoners who experienced all types of problems in society that led to them becoming criminals, there are a lot of prisoners who didn't get fair trials or have fair judges and sentencing, there are a lot of prisoners who are victims of mandatory sentencing laws that were passed to enrich private prisons, there a lot of prisoners who are mistreated and abused in our prisons, there are a lot of Americans in prisons with illegal aliens and gang bangers who are harmed by them, there are a lot of prisoners who are raped in prison.

Citizen prisoners have every right to vote and our denying them that right does not make our society better, it makes it worse.

In my thinking opinion.
    Where in the U.S. Constitution does it say felons actively serving in prison have the right to vote?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    Where in the U.S. Constitution does it say felons actively serving in prison have the right to vote?
    Where does it say you have the right to vote?

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Constitutionality[edit]

Unlike most laws that burden the right of citizens to vote based on some form of social status, felony disenfranchisement laws have been held to be constitutional. In Richardson v. Ramirez (1974), the United States Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of felon disenfranchisement statutes, finding that the practice did not deny equal protection to disenfranchised voters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felony_disenfranchisement
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

That's because most of them are black Americans, targeted in the War on Drugs.

The US Constitution stated in Amendment XV, which was ratified by the states in 1870: "Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.Sep 21, 2015

What Does the US Constitution Say about Voting and Punishment ...

felonvoting.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=000649ProCon.org
    NO AMNESTY

The US Constitution stated in Amendment XV, which was ratified by the states in 1870: "Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.Sep 21, 2015

What Does the US Constitution Say about Voting and Punishment ...

felonvoting.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=000649ProCon.org
    Does that say you have the right to vote and a prisoner doesn't? I don't see that. I see that they have the right to vote same as every other citizen.
    Last edited by Judy; 08-23-2016 at 07:03 PM.

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    Where does it say you have the right to vote?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast