Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

The War in Iraq is the dominant issue on voters’ minds

Iraq War Poised To
    Dominate 2008 Elections

Half Say Next Presidential Election
    Among Top In History

The War in Iraq is the dominant issue on voters’ minds heading into the 2008 elections, a national telephone poll of likely voters reveals.

The Zogby America poll of likely voters finds that 37% of all voters expect the four-year-old Iraq War to be the most important issue to them, personally, in the upcoming presidential contest—a number virtually unchanged from the 2006 mid-term elections, where it helped propel Democrats back into majority status in Congress.

Half of Democratic voters say they expect the war to dominate in 2008—a fact that doesn’t seem lost on the field of Democrats vying for their party’s nomination, as the past week has seen Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton introduce a bill capping troop levels in Iraq. Sen. Barack Obama’s staff announced he would introduce legislation to begin a phased withdrawal from the country, following on the heels of an early mea culpa from John Edwards, the former vice presidential nominee, saying, “It was a mistake to vote for this war in 2002.â€

Welcome aboard blacknight111.

In all fairness, readers should take note of the date that was published - Jan 07. And, while 37% is significant - eg. a plurality - is certainly is not a majority.

Plus, that poll was done 2 big amnesty attempts ago. The public awareness on the immigration-related issues has increased even more since then. Is it at the same level as the mess in Iraq? No, probably not. But the polling I have seen recently on the subject suggest it's prominence is increasing steadily.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

In addition to Phred's accurate comments, I would add that immigration issues (especially illegal immigration) are becoming more & more important to voters -- evidence of which are the many MSM articles on how the Dems are becoming increasingly vexed by this issue and are being forced to take uncomfortable stands. Look at what happened to Hillary when evaded the drivers license issue and also at the recent Congressional special election in Massachusetts.

______

Call the Senate: NO AgJOBS Amnesty !
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

April
    Quote Originally Posted by Populist
    In addition to Phred's accurate comments, I would add that immigration issues (especially illegal immigration) are becoming more & more important to voters -- evidence of which are the many MSM articles on how the Dems are becoming increasingly vexed by this issue and are being forced to take uncomfortable stands. Look at what happened to Hillary when evaded the drivers license issue and also at the recent Congressional special election in Massachusetts.

______

Call the Senate: NO AgJOBS Amnesty !
    I absolutely agree!!! The more people that are becoming educated on Illegal Immigration the more it is in the news as a HUGE ISSUE! There are people talking about it every where. I am proud to say friends of mine who were uninvolved are NOW fighting against illegal immigration and are mad as hell at the government for condoning it!

Oh Please!
    When you have 72% of voters from a liberal state like NY angry over DL for illegal aliens that is a fairly good indicator that illegal immigration is at the top of the issue list.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogger
    Oh Please!
    When you have 72% of voters from a liberal state like NY angry over DL for illegal aliens that is a fairly good indicator that illegal immigration is at the top of the issue list.

I love your avatar Bulldogger!

Ok, (no pun intended), I think the politicians are in denial. We already know that illegals vote. I actually think election fraud should be our number one issue. As long as the dead and illegals can vote, what we feel is important is a mute point.
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Illegal immigration number one top priority. If the citizens are like myself I don't know what they should do about the war. I feel we should have never got in the war in the first place but Bush took us there. Getting out is not my expertise but I believe is should be done with us looking like we know what we are doing even if we don't. HA! I believe right now the most important battle we face is right here at home. First one being illegal immigration and what it is doing to our pocket books and our way of life. To me this is an invasion and occupation. I feel that is what it is in Iraq also. If we don't fix ourselves internally now we are not ever going to be able to help our young people in Iraq fighting the terrorists that were not there until Bush moved into that country. They need our help and they deserve a solid nation to come back to. That said, the only way we are going to have a solid nation is to send the illegals packing and start over from there.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

Going back further

Zogby's Road To New Hampshire 2007 Campaign Manager's Polling Package Available Now
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Need to know who's
    going to win the race?"

Released: May 05, 2006
    Immigration Rivals War As Top U.S. Concern

New Zogby Interactive survey shows it leaping over economic, health care concerns; More feel “less safeâ€

For you policy wonks, here's a pdf link to a polling report from James Carville's Democracy Corps that discusses their interpretation of how the public feels about illegal immigration and their strategies for dealing with this -- which seems to amount to, surprise: bash Bush, talk about border security, and embrace "pathway amnesty."

I'll accept the blame Bush part, but not the false choice of "since we can't deport 12 million, give them amnesty after they supposedly learn English" business (how about 'attrition through enforcement'??).

Anyway, pages 11-13 discuss immigration:

http://www.democracycorps.com/reports/a ... 7_Memo.pdf

WELCOME TO ALIPAC "Blacknight111" so glad you have joined us in the fight to take our country back

Now I think the #1 issue is illegal immigration, or darn close to even... I also think alot of it has to do with who they polled and they don't poll enough people to get an accurate answer to the question.

NY DL is going to wake up alot of new people as OK laws did this last week, as these things surface and more Americans wake up all is going to change alot in the next year.

The canidates are either sticking their foot in their mouth or shooting it off on almost a daily basis.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast