Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Re: WARNING: AOL is looking at you, kid! OFF SUBJECT

[quote="Darlene"]A few years ago in a tech letter that I subscribed to someone ask about AOL., well the answer they gave was "friends don't let friends do AOL" well that saying stuck with me. I thought it was because you had a hard time getting it out of your computer. Today I came across this and wanted your thoughts on it.

WARNING: AOL is looking at you, kid!

Darlene,

Disturbing article! I read this and the first 2-3 comments a few days ago and didn't get around to responding, and some comments and questions have already been asked.

Several months ago I switched to AOL after receiving a free trial. They were a little cheaper than the other popular and high-priced ISP service I had used for some time. Not long ago I had some technical questions and called AOL. The first guy had a hispanic first name and heavy accent. The second guy I spoke with also with a heavy accent mentioned his time zone and he was located in India. I couldn't understand either of these employees very well because of their accents.

The previous ISP I used also outsources/insources American jobs and I remember speaking with many foreigners with numerous problems I was having with the service.

I was also going to ask if anyone knew of any ISPs that don't outsource or insource American jobs. I wasn't aware of the issues brought up by Darlene in the article. One more reason to dump AOL. I still use the free yahoo email account I've had for years for the bulk of emailing, instead of my AOL email, but still I have to access yahoo by way of AOL so it doesn't really matter. I also saw Yahoo listed on some list of companies who outsourse/insource as well.

Brian, you mention two ISPs in this thread and I'm going to check them out soon.
    People who take issue with control of population do not understand that if it is not done in a graceful way, nature will do it in a brutal fashion - Henry Kendall

End foreign aid until America fixes it's own poverty first - me

AOL

I got rid of AOL a few weeks ago. Did any of you catch the little article in the paper that Vice President Cheneys daughter has gone to work for AOL?
    I called AOL that day and canceled! I told him that was a little to close to big brother for me! He said he did not know anything about it (which is probably true) but I had already made up my mind to get rid of them before I saw the article. The computer guys at work say it is very difficult to remove everything that AOL puts on your computer so I would suggest a pro remove it unless you really know what you are doing so that you get all of it off your computer!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God

AOL's software puts too many hooks into the system for anyone to be 100% sure of getting all of it. The only sure solution (and the one I use) is the old "F & F" (FDISK & Format)

Anyone ever notice how difficult it is to get mail delivered to AOL accounts? I have a friend on AOL whose mail I often get delivery "delay" notices on or delivery "failures."

I got four of these today. Funny thing is they sometime arrive a few days after the original e-mail is sent.

"This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Unable to deliver message to the following recipients, due to being unable to connect successfully to the destination mail server"

BINGO!

I have been hearing about this happening from several people. And now Cheney's daughter is working for them! No way! Get rid of AOL!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God

I have been ahving the same problems today. They must be having issues. Nothing new.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Thank goodness, I never fell into that AOL trap. When I have used it on other people's computers, I have thought it was the most AGGREVATING ISP I had ever seen. You could RARELY get a connection the first try even at 3 AM! And, I HAVE noticed problems about getting mail to people OR from them. My sister still has AOL and she is ALWAYS complaining about the problems but she just won't MAKE A MOVE!!

CHENEY'S daughter??? Wonder how she got THAT JOB???
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12