Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE "SLANT" OF THE NEWSPAPERS

I am posting these two articles on the Chandler Rapist. One is from the Arizona Republic, the other from the East Valley Tribune.
    The Arizona Republic seems to "candy coat" the fact that he is and illegal from Mexico that faces over 25 felony charges including identity theft. The print article that I have in front of me is different than the article that is put online by the same author.
    The East Valley Tribune tells it the way it is and doesn't pull any punches. In the same set of articles, there is an interview with the suspect's girlfriend that lives across the stree from the suspect and his wife. I am stunned by the liberal whitewash done by the Arizona Republic. Am I alone?

AZ REPUBLIC
    http://www.azcentral.com/community/chan ... t0113.html

Police believe they have 'Chandler Rapist'
    DNA testing links suspect to series of attacks on young girls, police say
    Sarah Muench
    The Arizona Republic
    Jan. 13, 2008 12:00 AM

Most people knew him as Ricardo and his friends called him "Chaparro," or "Shorty."

But the approximately 5-foot-4 construction worker who called himself Ricardo López, who was known among relatives and close friends as a loving husband and father who would give you "the shirt off his back," is actually Santana Batiz Aceves and is the "Chandler Rapist," police say.

"We are convinced that this suspect . . . is responsible for the multiple assaults that have been committed in our community," Chandler Police Chief Sherry Kiyler said during a press conference Saturday.

Police arrested Batiz Aceves on Friday morning and discovered in less than 24 hours from DNA test results that he is a match for a serial rapist who has been stalking and raping young girls in Chandler for nearly two years, police announced Saturday.

Batiz Aceves, 39, originally from a town in Sinaloa, Mexico, began living in the United States illegally in 1988 and lived in Sacramento for nearly 16 years, where he worked for a construction company, computer records show.

"He always took care of his kids, he's very respectful and he's a good person," said Maria Peñuelos, Batiz Aceves' ex-girlfriend and neighbor. "I just don't believe it."

Peñuelos, who knew him as "Ricardo," said in her year and a half relationship with Batiz Aceves that he took care of her children and drove her daughter to school even after they broke up. He has a 15-year-old daughter who still lives in California and took care of her, she said.

But police confirmed Saturday that Batiz Aceves is facing 25 felony counts, including aggravated assault, kidnapping, child molestation, burglary and sexual abuse of a minor.

Police believe he is an undocumented immigrant who was deported in 1999 and 2003 on drug offenses.

Detectives searched for the Chandler Rapist for more than 18 months after six separate attacks in the city, four of which were rapes, all on young girls.

Authorities said Batiz Aceves worked as a heavy-equipment operator and lived in the area of the sexual assaults for the past 18 months.

It was not immediately known if Batiz Aceves had legal representation yet, but he appeared in khaki pants and a denim-colored button-up shirt before a judge Saturday night and only recited his name as "Ricardo Ramirez López."

He sat in a jailhouse courtroom with his legs and arms crossed looking down at the floor and wiping away a few tears.

Kiyler said detectives working a saturation patrol Friday morning in the area of the most recent assault spotted a man who matched the description of the rapist and who was driving a white, two-door car that also matched a police description.

Police canvassing after the last reported attack on the same street received a tip about the car.

Police said Batiz Aceves initially provided officers an alias of Ricardo López.

Inside the vehicle they found a jacket similar to one they believed the rapist had worn, Kiyler said.

Aceves told officers he lived in Casa Grande and was just visiting Chandler. He refused to submit to a DNA test.

"I think (the tip) piqued our interest more so than all the other (tips)," said Sgt. Rick Griner, a Chandler police spokesman. "I didn't believe it but it was definitely good news."

Through a search warrant, detectives obtained a buccal swab for DNA from Aceves and, in less than 24 hours, they confirmed Aceves matched physical evidence obtained from Chandler Rapist crime scenes, police said.

It took almost five hours for officers to make the arrest once they made contact with Aceves.

Aceves was preparing to flee as officers arrived at his Chandler residence near Arizona Avenue and Ray Road to arrest him, officers said.

Nationally known forensic psychiatrist Steven Pitt, who is based out of Scottsdale, said it's usually shocking for the public and friends to find out the person they knew could be a violent serial offender.

"I think that the public is always surprised when a serial offender is taken off the streets because they expect a monsterlike character to be viewed in the perp walk, when you see someone who looks like you or me," Pitt said.

Neighbor Joe Ortega, 55, had barbeques with Aceves, chatted with his family on the patio of their adjacent homes in central Chandler at night.

"I've got kids and I've got grandkids and if someone did that to my kids, I'd want to kill them," Ortega said. "It just blows my mind."

The Chandler Rapist has struck six times, beginning in June 2006.

Three of the six confirmed attacks have been on Andersen Junior High School students, police said.

In all of the attacks, he entered the homes without forcing his way in.

In all but one of the previous cases, police believe the rapist stalked the victims for weeks, targeting single-parent homes where the parent leaves early in the morning for work.

The man studies the parent's routine, develops a quick escape route and then strikes, police said.

Police also are looking into unsolved rapes in northern California. In recent years, the "Nor-Cal Rapist" has terrorized Sacramento, but the MO of the offender doesn't necessarily match up with the Chandler Rapist.

Aceves' wife, Claudia, and their young son and daughter answered the couple's apartment door Saturday morning, distraught.

"We're doing OK but our kids are very scared because they don't have their father and they don't know when they are going to see him," she said in Spanish.

She declined to talk about the arrest.

EAST VALLEY TRIBUNE
    http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/106468
    DNA links illegal immigrant to attacks
    Comments 49| Recommend 16
    Katie McDevitt, Tribune
    He packed his car, withdrew his cash and planned to slip quietly into Mexico. But the escape was cut short Friday morning as Chandler detectives closed in.

Police then arrested the man on suspicion of sexually assaulting five girls and attacking another in the Chandler Rapist crime spree that spanned 18 months, police announced Saturday.

Santana Batiz-Aceves, 39, a twice-deported illegal immigrant with a history of drug charges, was arrested about 11:49 a.m. Friday at his Chandler home near Arizona Avenue and Ray Road. He was booked into Maricopa County’s Fourth Avenue Jail on suspicion of 25 felonies, including kidnapping, child molestation, sexual abuse, sexual conduct with a minor, aggravated assault, burglary and trespassing.

He is being held without bond.

“From the beginning of this investigation, we have believed that help from our community and good, old-fashioned police work were the most likely avenues to solving this series of crimes,â€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I don't have a favorable opinion of many newspapers as of late - especially when they appear to "candy-coat".

This is a great source of contention with me and the Gannett News Organization. With the legislation to allow the news sources to "merge" which means that the media outlets can own both publication and video sources does not sit well with me.

There are times that tv reporting will bring about issues that the publicized articles don't and vice versa. After being in Mexico, this could be the next thing to only getting told "what they want us to know". I am not for media monopolies and would like to see some grassroots reporting done from all media sources.

There are times that I don't think they have to be "politically correct" because the facts are the facts.

Give me John Walsh any day! I like the truth to be told!!
    From the Border Movie:

I will not sell my country out ~ I WILL NOT!
    I'd like to see that pride back in AMERICA!!!