Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What it doesn't mean to be Latino - Ruben Navarrette

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

What it doesn't mean to be Latino - Ruben Navarrette

Read this then imagine rather than Latino it was written about the white tribe.

statesmanjournal.com
    OPINION
    Written by
    Ruben Navarrette
    9:00 PM, Feb. 26, 2012

SAN DIEGO — Latinos have a favorite parlor game that no one ever seems to win. It's childish and cruel, and yet extremely popular. It could be called "I'm more authentic than you."

I know this game. In fact, at various times over the years, I've sat down on both sides of the board.

When I was in college, and going through an identity crisis of my own as a Mexican-American at a predominantly white school, I looked down on Latino classmates who I decided didn't sufficiently "identify" with their ethnic background. Maybe they spoke Spanish poorly, or wore blue contact lenses, or came from upper-class families.

Now, in a kind of karmic payback, others will sometimes do the same thing to me. Latinos on the left will read a column detailing my criticism of President Obama's cynical policy of deporting record numbers of illegal immigrants and accuse me of not being ethnic enough. Whatever that means.

Things take a turn toward the absurd when white liberals get into the act and eagerly try to assess my "Latino-ness." Recently, one Obama defender labeled me "an apologist for Republiscum" and declared my ethnic identity "a bit tattered and less-than-authentic."

That line of attack is racist, rude and condescending. I can't imagine being so forward as to tell a black person that he isn't "black enough," or a gay person that he isn't "gay enough." But apparently, it's fine to do that with Latinos.

Christina Aguilera knows exactly what I'm talking about. The pop diva turned reality-show star recently said in an interview that she gets criticized for not being Latina enough.

"I've dealt with that (criticism) my whole life," the co-host of "The Voice" said in an interview with Latina magazine. "I don't speak the language fluently. And I'm split right down the middle, half Irish and half Ecuadorean. I should not have to prove my ethnicity to anyone. I know who I am."

She went on: "I wouldn't be questioned (about my heritage) if I looked more stereotypically Latina. Whatever that is. All I know is no one can tell me I'm not a proud Latina woman."

In 2007, Jessica Alba got in hot water with the culture cops after the third-generation Mexican-American — who is also part Dominican — appeared to downplay her ethnicity in an interview for a Spanish-language magazine.

"Alba is my last name and I'm proud of that," the actress told the publication Para Todos. "But that's it. My grandparents were born in California, the same as my parents, and though I may be proud of my last name, I'm American. Throughout my whole life, I've never felt connected to one particular race or heritage, nor did I feel accepted by any. If you break it down, I'm less Latina than Cameron Diaz, whose father is Cuban. But people don't call her Latina because she's blonde."

Latino bloggers went bonkers, viciously attacking Alba for not being Latina enough — and, more precisely, not proud enough of being Latina.

These are just two high-profile examples of Latinos who have had their ethnicity challenged. There are no doubt hundreds of thousands of other stories from everyday people.

Inter-ethnic group squabbling is nothing new. It was going on hundreds of years ago, and it'll probably be going on hundreds of years from now. At the beginning of the 21st century, Latinos may be disappointed in liberals and angry with conservatives, but they still save the sharpest barbs for one another.

It's a ridiculous waste of time, and a distraction that Latinos can't afford right now. These are tough times for America's largest minority. Their numbers are growing, but so is the anxiety that other Americans are feeling about the idea that the United States is becoming a Latino nation. In Alabama, Arizona, South Carolina, and probably other states to come, the resistance is digging in by passing anti-Latino laws disguised as immigration statutes.

Just when the nation's 50 million Latinos should be feeling more empowered than ever, many of them are feeling powerless and picked on. Just when our institutions — media, government, academia, corporations, etc. — should be embracing diversity, many of them seem to be intent on preserving the status quo.

Against this backdrop, Latinos need all the friends, allies and partners they can find. So they can't afford to be at war with their own tribe. It's time for a truce.

Ruben Navarrette Jr. writes for the Washington Post Writers Group, 1150 15th St. NW, Washington, DC 20071. Send email to ruben@rubennavarrette.com.

What it doesn't mean to be Latino | Statesman Journal | statesmanjournal.com
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Boo hoo. Just about every black person I know and have known has been dealing with this crap from their own "tribe" for YEARS. Makes me glad to be a whitey. No one ever told me I'm not "white enough". lol!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"It's a ridiculous waste of time, and a distraction that Latinos can't afford right now. These are tough times for America's largest minority. Their numbers are growing, but so is the anxiety that other Americans are feeling about the idea that the United States is becoming a Latino nation. In Alabama, Arizona, South Carolina, and probably other states to come, the resistance is digging in by passing anti-Latino laws disguised as immigration statutes.

Just when the nation's 50 million Latinos should be feeling more empowered than ever, many of them are feeling powerless and picked on. Just when our institutions — media, government, academia, corporations, etc. — should be embracing diversity, many of them seem to be intent on preserving the status quo."

Thats plain foolish talk, "anti-latino" disguised as immigration statutes..Way to corrupt the TRUTH and make Americans look like their "picking" on you..I have NO sympathy here, because its totally Out of context, which is what these ILLEGAL migrant supporters are Great at doing, TWISTING Laws, Bending Truths, and all round Dodging the REAL POINT, which is:

ILLEGALS have no business being here and with that TRUTH, they deserve NO "pass", NO benefits that are through American funding.
    Its easy to point the finger at the INNOCENT, trying to take the focus away from your own CRIMINAL actions and try to Avoid Legal Consequenses..But the bottom line is "WE AIN'T Buying IT"!

In Alabama, Arizona, South Carolina, and probably other states to come, the resistance is digging in by passing anti-Latino laws disguised as immigration statutes.
    These states are "digging in" on illegal aliens from all ethnicities. Mr. Navarette's little tribal empowerment speech shows that he cares more about promoting "hispanic" (I will not capitalize) than American.

Rueben Navarrette, beating the tribal drum for dominance.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Yeh Rueben we have seen it all, so why not tell it like it is? How kids who are of Latino ethnic origin and consider themselves Americans first get harrassed for not speaking Spanish or for simply hanging out with white kids. What about non-Latino girls that get attacked and beaten by Latino girls for being friends or dating a Latino Boy. Come on Rueben be honest.

This lie of his really pissed me off.... "passing anti-Latino laws disguised as immigration statutes". He is nothing but a typical La Raza POS!

If I remember right Navarette was born here and yet he still puts ethnicity above his loyalty to this country. Says a lot about how Hispanics assimilate into our society even when born here, doesn't it?
    Last edited by Oldglory; 02-27-2012 at 06:59 PM.

On one is anti Latino Ruben Navarrette Jr just anti illegal alien. Why do you try to hide the true issue of illegal aliens breaking our law by using your propaganda nonsense. Not all illegals are of Hispanic origin but most are, why don't you call the Mexican government and ask them to please take care of their people. Is it fair that U.S citizens and legal residents can't find jobs because illegals hold them? Don't respond with they only work in the fields because that is absolute nonsense. I live in a sanctuary city in the State of Washington and they do hold jobs that U.S citizens could and would do. Guess what I am half Hispanic and I absolutely disagree with you. Any U.S citizen that breaks the law pays the consequences why should illegals be the exception.

I so agree Oldglory. Most races do assimilate and care about this country but then there are those who insist that their language be incorporated everywhere. They do not feel loyalty because they want to turn this into another Mexico not embrace this country and help it instead of hurting it. Remember the protests in California where they were holding up the Mexican flag more than the American flag. That tells me their true allegiance is to Mexico. There is nothing wrong with different customs and traditions but they should assimilate not try to make this country into another Mexico, if Mexico was so great they would still be over there. Navarrette talks about Latinos being the largest growing minority, well I guess they would be since there is such a huge illegal alien population.

If I were Hispanic I would be embarrassed to say that my ethnic group is increasing by leaps and bounds because of the many immigration violaters within my group and giving birth to numerous babies at the taxpayer expense. This is something to brag about?

Ruben Navarrette is such a fake Latino wanna be! He acts so white it is incredible. I bet real Hispanics call him a "coconut" He has no street credibility with real Hispanics out there representin La Raza on campus and in the barrios. CNN could not handle a real RAZA in their company. They had to get them one of those "House Hispanics" that can do a good job taking orders from The MAN. CNN would never allow a real Raza Representative on the air because they know a real Raza Rep would never take orders from white and Jewish people like Navarrette right? Ruben Navarrette is too white to be a real Latino and because of how he writes and who he works for.

Christina Aguilera is Hispanic? Wow, I never even noticed because she has been so popularized by big companies due to her almost Caucasian appearance. What, is she Castillion instead of Mestizo? <--- Political Satire

Am I any good at political satire?

W
    Last edited by ALIPAC; 02-28-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast