Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar

What enforcement of laws and rules can accomplish

Living here, as you all know, has been a challenge in the least, and a pain in the derriere' most of the time.

The stress level for at least the past two or so years gas been outrageous. The idea of living in a tent in the national forests seemed a better alternative at times.

About three months ago, a new landlord stepped into the scene. He bought these places from the slumlord who had them since we moved in. This man has been working slowly but surely on making it nicer around here. He has made his priorities safe working appliances for all units first, any criminals out, flooring which was sagging fixed and also working plumbing.

He told us he would start working on the appearance of the complex when all of the important stuff was done (safety and health was his mindset).

This landlord has also begun a campaign of rules. Something the last landlord would not do. Loud music, parties, over-parking spilling into the driveways (making entry and exit near impossible) and also no garbage and overloading on tenants patios and decks.

His next issue was unit overcrowding. He stated that the county has certain standards which he was going by. Two bedroom places will have only five people, no more. Two per bedroom, plus one on the couch is allowed.

We have seen an unprecedented exodus from this complex, which I believe is going to grow.

Now the best part. The stress level has gone from a 10 down to a 3 on my scale. There has been virtually no loud music. The parties on the weekends have all stopped, and we have not been seeing the gang members we were seeing here.

People come and go to work, their kids play outside nicely, and there have been no incidents of cars peeling out of the lot. We have seen less and less of the police (which I am positive that the police are grateful for).

Compared to last summer, this is a 100% turnaround.

Message to our federal government; This is what happens when YOU enforce the laws and rules of our society. Things become safe and orderly, law enforcement finds themselves needed less. And the best part, when laws and rules are enforced, people who should not be here, will leave. Just ask my landlord, he is doing it and it is working.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'm glad that things are going better for you. Where do you live (Oregon?) Is your neighborhood/community in general in bad shape, or just your complex?

Ostrich

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    It is simply the complex, otherwise this entire area of town is very nice.

The main problem is that this town, Gresham, has very little oversight of landlords. There was an article recently about it in The Oregonian. This compunded with lax building codes, meaning, too many apartments in this town, mean lowered rents. Now this is good for many who are truly in need of an affordable place to live, but it can also mean potential slums.

This is what has been happening with many landlords in this area. Foreigners buy up these cheap properties and run them as though they were in their own third world countries. They fix nothing and do nothing about criminal tenants.

The illegal aliens love this kind of complex as this means there is no oversight by the landlord, no rules enforced, and also means little chance of being noticed. Then the problems start.

Here it has been downright scary at times. I would walk in with my kids from the store, and round a corner and see gang members, dressed to the "T" in their gang style clothing with tatoos blaring off of their bodies, bandanas hanging out of their back pockets.

Now it has tamed and we are not seeing this, as well as the average people have stopped taking advantage of things as well.

I'm now looking forward to when the landlord starts painting the outside, re-doing the parking lot, fixing up the landscaping. It will make it feel nicer here. I know he is just waiting till he has not only importatn safety issues handled first, but also for when he can "eliminate" as many of those who should not be here.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)