Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andyt
    I stick by what I said. The government, big oil and the auto companies are holding our feet to the fire. Renewable energy is possible but there's nothing in it for big oil, our government doesn't seem concerned, in fact Bush po-pooed the concept during his first term, and the auto companies particularly the American ones would build only SUVs if they could get away with it. The profit margin on the conventional SUV is huge. I believe we will burn gasoline untill the last drop of dinosaur goo exits the tailpipe of an SUV.
    Having said that I'll see your tinfoil hat and raise you a pair of Mickey Mouse ears.
    I agree that government and big energy collude to suppress "free energy" and renewable energy, but they are still not capable of anything more than indirect manipulation of petroleum prices. Prices are set via a free market bidding process.

Also, the idea of petroleum as a non-renewable energy source is antiquated. There is no such thing as a "fossil fuel," because petroleum is a natural product of the Earth's crust and mantle, not the residual deposits of deceased organic matter like ferns and dinosaurs. A number of wells that have been tapped dry have demonstrated the ability to regenerate as much as 40% in a decade. So while I agree that there are better, safer and perhaps cheaper ways to provide energy, I also understand that there is no fundamental problem with continuing to consume petroleum. I would say that the geopolitical factors favoring reduction of petroleum consumption vastly outweigh any environmental reason for doing so.

I agree in most part. I don't see it as an environmental issue as much as a need for a solution to a problem that fuels our anxieties and puts us at the mercy of unstable governments like Iran and Venezuela. We are dependent on their petroleum to survive both economically and socially. If we had any renewable energy source ,hydrogen fuel cells , gasahol, biodiesel solar power (I won't add wind power since the senate supplies that). We could bid the Mid-east adios(I can't spell adieu). We could say "good luck you guys , send us a postcard and let us know how it all turns out". We could also count on being able to drive to work.

Most of the reasons stated above would work for me if it wasn't such a HUGE drop. Plus, I haven't heard any media coverage about it - but as soon as they jack up the price there are tons of articles, analysis and debate about everything. If the oil refineries finally got repaired from previous hurricane damage, wouldn't there be some report on that?

It's a scam. We are being overcharged STILL and now for "some reason", prices are lowered 50 miraculous cents. No one is using any less gasoline today then they were 6 months ago.

I just wanted to post this because we all still need to have one question on our minds - "why?"
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

Hey ya know I was being a facetious. I think the hat would mess up my hair.
    The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight.
    Theodore Roosevelt

I notice that it typically drops here at the end of summer, then rises again in mid November prior to holiday season, then drops again after the holidays. Hmmmm.....wonder why? LOL Raking in the dough!
    "Remember the Alamo!"

In Okla, in my small town, the high was 2.98, now is down to 2.39, got it for 2.10 in another town, last week.
    Build the dam fence post haste!

It is a scam. Has anyone priced bio diesel in their area? I have friends who are making it on their own here in UT, and it doesn't cost them more than around .75 cents a gallon. Yet you can go to the stations here that carry bio diesel, and its only .10 cents less than regular fossil fuel diesel.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by CrocketsGhost
    Also, the idea of petroleum as a non-renewable energy source is antiquated. There is no such thing as a "fossil fuel," because petroleum is a natural product of the Earth's crust and mantle, not the residual deposits of deceased organic matter like ferns and dinosaurs. A number of wells that have been tapped dry have demonstrated the ability to regenerate as much as 40% in a decade.
    I really wish I could believe in abiotic oil but it has not been proven. If that theory was correct our domestic production would not look like this.

So while abiotic oil may in fact exist it does not have a significant impact as we are using so much more than it can replace. Hmm, oil does not come from ferns and dinosaurs. It was created from the detruis of algae blooms in shallow seas.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    Dasculling....Oil is a Global Commodity.

Gasoline is not.
    Nope, you can put it on a tanker just like crude.

http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited...fx2204523.html

Who ever wants the gasoline more gets it. When Katrina hit the US the Europeans suffered as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasCowgirl
    I just wanted to post this because we all still need to have one question on our minds - "why?"
    Because there every day that goes by there are more people who all want to consume oil. And we use two barrels of oil for every one we discover.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast