I had two different conversations the past couple days with two people regarding sb1070. It was very revealing, and elucidated to me what seems to be the driving dynamics of all the frothing hatred (not from where the agitprop media lapdogs portray it, either).
First I was talking with a friend who is Hispanic (a naturalized citizen originally from Mexico, actually). He loves being here, worked VERY hard to become a member of our society, and did it the legal way. He is in support of this bill- as I am given to understand is the case with many hard-working Latino CITIZENS. He did express some strong concerns that 'profiling' may happen anyway, despite the safeguards and assurances made. He stated these concerns reasonably, intelligently, and not once did he use the word 'racist' to describe the lawmakers who wrote and signed this. We did disagree on a few minor points, but did so maturely and without rhetoric. As a well educated, reasonably intelligent indepedently thinking individual, I have respect for intelligent, rational debate and discourse, even if there isn't 100% agreement on every minute aspect (individual dissent is one of the hallmarks of a healthy, free society anyway, in my opinion).
So, another conversation with an acquantance- well, not so much a converation as a rabid searing indictment on my character for not BLINDLY protesting this bill with all the visceral passion I could muster! Not once were any of my valid and researched facts considered, and the only response really was "GESTAPO POLICE STATE" and RACIST RACIST RACIST. This from a White person! Funny, the darker skinned person who really might be targeted by sheer mistake or happenstance didn't once refer to any of it as racist, but the seething Ivory Tower white uberlib used that as the sole argument. I had to point out that if the so-called 'immigrants rights' action groups (LA RAza. MALDEF, etc) were SO concerned about the plight of the Latino worker, why do they not act for change in their home countries? (puzzled pause....then 'thats racist, and nativist! etc) PAthetic, but very enlightening.
Really brings to light the massive social engineering really driving this illegal immigration situation, and it scares the hell out of me.