Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Whitman throws her hat into political ring

SAN JOSE, CA (KGO) -- Former eBay CEO Meg Whitman sounded more like an official candidate for governor on Tuesday as she laid out her vision for California at Silicon Valley's Tech Museum, but she may have alienated some Bay Area voters.

SIGN-UP: Get breaking news sent to you
    No one is surprised former eBay CEO Meg Whitman says California needs to run the state more like a business. The Republican Gubernatorial candidate says the economy is priority number one and plans to help create two million jobs by 2015.
    Story continues belowAdvertisement"So how will we create those jobs? We'll do it by streamlining regulation, by restructuring and cutting taxes, by spending less and by spending smarter," said Whitman.
    Whitman's vision of lower taxes and less regulation plays well among many Silicon Valley business leaders.
    "She's been there in the middle of it of it. She's seen how it works and doesn't work and there's a very, very few candidates with her pedigree from that perspective," said Scott McNealy, chairman of Sun Microsystems.
    In addition to the economy, Whitman says her focus will be on improving California's failing education system and protecting the environment as an advocate of clean technology. It was after her speech though when audience questions revealed a more personal side of the candidates' political views.
    "How did you vote on Prop 8 and are you pro-life?" asked an audience member.
    The billionaire businesswoman says she's pro-choice and voted for California's ban on same-sex marriage.
    "I voted my faith and my conscious, but what I will tell you is that I am all for equal rights and civil rights," said Whitman
    Whitman also responded to a question about immigration. She calls for more secure borders and holding employers accountable for hiring undocumented workers.
    "As you know, San Francisco and LA are sanctuary cities which I think is absolutely wrong. It's in direct violation to federal immigration law," said Whitman.

We're learning more about Whitman's political positions as she campaigns early against at least two Republican contenders: State Insurance Commissioner Steve Poizner and former Congressman Tom Campbell. Whitman takes her message south on Wednesday for a similar speech in Orange County.
    You can read more on Karina Rusk's back story: More on Meg Whitman's political move

Today's latest headlines | ABC7 News on your phone
    Follow us on Twitter | Fan us on Facebook | Get our free widget

(Copyright ©2009 KGO-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sectio ... id=6663899

Whitman also responded to a question about immigration. She calls for more secure borders and holding employers accountable for hiring undocumented workers.
    "As you know, San Francisco and LA are sanctuary cities which I think is absolutely wrong. It's in direct violation to federal immigration law," said Whitman.
    As a former eBay seller - don't get all excited about her running for Gov. Most eBay sellers today will tell you she did a horrible job with that company. She's a lib in Rebuplican's clothing. If someone more like Reagan comes along - she might not have a chance.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by SicNTiredInSoCal
    As a former eBay seller - don't get all excited about her running for Gov. Most eBay sellers today will tell you she did a horrible job with that company. She's a lib in Rebuplican's clothing. If someone more like Reagan comes along - she might not have a chance.
    If that happened I'd be ecstatic. But given our choices of Jerry Brown, Gavin Newsome and Mayor Tony, I'm watching her closely.

Great candidate
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I like Meg Whitman and thought she was a great CEO of Ebay,in fact,Ebay has gone down hill since she left last Feb. .

If I were a Californian I would vote for her.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Just wait, she'll flip flop on immigration. I have little to no faith in her.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

She sure sounds a lot better than our "Girley Man"

At least she wants to take care of sanc. cities!

Gets my vote just for that!
    Ken Dreger

Unfortunately she also had this to say:

'Asked if she would favor cutting benefits such as welfare or health care to illegal immigrants, Whitman said that although border enforcement is important she would not support such cuts, because "whether they're legal or illegal (immigrants), those benefits go to children ... and we have to protect the children."'

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 005&sc=345

Just so you know, the comments by the so-called "liberals" in SF are almost always rants against illegals. Even the liberals are fed up.

But what is her exact stand on amnesty? Does she favor some type of legal status for illegals? If so that's amnesty. What's her specific position?

She also just said this today:

On immigration, she said she supports stringent security at the U.S. border and holding employers accountable for hiring illegal workers. She called the declarations by San Francisco and Los Angeles as so-called "sanctuary cities" that will not help federal immigration authorities round up and deport undocumented workers "absolutely wrong."

Still, she said she'd like to see a comprehensive review of American immigration policy that recognizes the business world's reliance on legal immigrants, particularly in the fields of science and engineering. Many graduate students in those fields at the nation's top universities are foreign nationals, she said.

"We should staple a green card to their Ph.D. and welcome them here into the United States," Whitman said.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 245S63.DTL[/b]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast