Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

words from illegals gthemselves

Undocumented immigrants concerned about proposed guest worker programs

08:03 AM EST on Friday, March 31, 2006
    By ANNA CROWLEY / 6NEWS
    E-mail Anna: ACrowley@WCNC.COM

6NEWS

Protests about immigration reform have taken center stage on the news, but beyond the rallies and news conferences there are those too afraid to march.

Politicians, editorial writers and marchers have all been speaking out about the immigration issue, but there are also silent voices to be heard, immigrants too afraid that if they speak out they'll lose the lives they've built in the U.S.

It's estimated as many as 50,000 undocumented workers are living in Charlotte.

Protests about immigration reform have taken center stage on the news, but beyond the rallies and news conferences there are those in the shadows too afraid to march.

Two of those undocumented immigrants, Maria and Juan Carlos spoke to us.

"I don't like this reform because it's a double edged sword for the immigrants and it feels like a trap," said Juan Carlos.

He said a guest worker program is a ticking clock.

"It's basically wanting to keep track of us so in later years they can find out who we are and deport us," he said.

"I feel very insecure that I might not be able to stay or have my job," said Maria.

Juan Carlos said thousands of dollars in fines and a new language would be impossible for most immigrants.

Video on Demand

VIDEO: Watch this story

Build your own newscast
    "For me it may be possible, but I speak for all Hispanics and there are many of them who don’t have an education to begin with," said Juan Carlos.

With two children in the Charlotte school system, who will likely not be able to apply for college without legal status, Maria and Juan Carlos hope for meaningful change soon.

Juan Carlos said undocumented workers are a vital part of the economy and that Americans don’t get it. He said all it would take to prove his point would be a one day illegal worker strike

Reply to Ronnie

Hi Ronny,

Quote Originally Posted by Alipac
    If you are reading this, you are still on the old site location. The move is in progress and it will take some time for the DNS servers to update.

Once your servers update to the new site, this post and all posts since around 3pm EST on Friday will be gone.
    Note: I replied to your post on the alternate website at this URL:
    http://sonboycott2.proboards102.com/ind ... rd=general

What part of "We don't owe our jobs to India" are you unable to understand, Senator?