Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Would CA Driver Licenses to Illegal Aliens be Valid in Anoth

http://federalistblog.us/2007/01/ca_dri ... liens.html

Would CA Driver Licenses to Illegal Aliens be Valid in Another State?

Q: Gil Cedillo, a California legislator has introduced a bill to authorize the issue of driver's licenses not compliant with the federal Real ID Act. They are intended for illegal aliens.

My question is will other states be required to accept these as valid under the Full Faith and Credit clause, since they are meant to subvert the intent of federal law?

A: If Calif. issues only special temporary licenses to illegal aliens to operate on Calif. highways only, then no. If Calif. issues full fledge driver licenses contrary to the provisions of the Real ID Act, the answer would be no under Article IV, Sec. 2. Driver licenses are a privilege that only citizens are entitled to enjoy in another State as long as laws of the host State do not interfere.

Example, say under a new Texas statewide law that allows one to publicly eat in any restaurant naked - would not give you any rights to walk into any other restaurant in another State nude, and especially where there might be strict indecent exposure laws. Therefore, if a State passes a law that says only drivers with federally approved licenses may operate upon State highways, then California drivers beware.

I would like to add that I have real constitutional issues with the Real ID Act, but this can wait for another time.
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

I hope that it will be a non issue...Gov. Schwarzenegger has promised to Veto this crazy bill

Governor Schwarzenegger promises to veto the driver's license bill for illegal aliens

This week representatives from CAPS are in Sacramento for the annual Hold Their Feet to the Fire, a national drive against illegal immigration. When KOGO's Roger Hedgecock asked the Governor if he would again veto SB 60, Schwarzenegger replied, "Absolutely."

The California Senate passed SB 60 by a vote of 24-15 on the same day. It now moves to the Assembly.

Please let the Governor know that you appreciate his commitment.
    Bring back the Rotary Phone so we dont have to pressÂ*1 forÂ*English...Â*

We in California call Cedillo, "One bill Gil" because he has introduced this same bill for years.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

Quote Originally Posted by pjr40
    We in California call Cedillo, "One bill Gil" because he has introduced this same bill for years.
    This is attempt #9. This is a clear case of beating a dead horse.

Quote Originally Posted by pjr40
    Precisely!

One of the first things Arnold did when he got into office was reverse this which Governor Davis had approved. As long as Arnold is governor I can't see this becoming law.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn