Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

fantastic! if they are upset you know you are doing some good!

BlueMan,

Perhaps you should adjust the name to Student Citizens for Tight Borders and take your website and organization national. We need a student wing of the immigration enforcment movement.

You goals could be to get more college students involved in the fight to secure our borders.

If you can get some people to start putting them up on other college campuses, you could prob get some national media exposure.

William Gheen
    President, ALIPAC
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The Drake Democrats sent out an email to all their members about our posters. One of my friends forwared it to me since he's on their mailing list:

I think this is going to get interesting real quick. I bet our school or at least the student senate will try somehow to stop us from posting. If they do, I'm going to put out a press release all over and try to get this some attention.

We're turning in our constitution this week to get approved as an official student group. I VERY carefully wrote our mission statement in a way that it shows we are not racist or anything else. My guess is they will try to use our posters against us in some way. Our school administration would cringe if they had to put our group's name on their website as an organization. I'll keep you guys informed with as everything transpires.

Here's what the Drake Dems said:

Fellow Drake Democrats,
    I am Mitch Stehlik, the Vice-President of Drake Democrats. I am sure that
    many of you have seen signs from the anti-immigrant group "Citizens For Tight
    Borders" or read about them in today's Times-Delphic. The Drake Democrats
    Executive Council is concerned about the tone of this group's signs. We
    believe, as many of you do, that they are offensive and borderline racist.
    While we do not want to stifle the free expression of ideas on campus, we do
    feel that as students we must respond to statements from groups like "Citizens
    For Tight Borders" that express their views in an inappropriate manner. Their
    views on immigration may be acceptable for political debate (although we do not
    agree with them), but their language is unacceptable. Terms such as "invaded"
    (among many others) serve only inflate tension and racialize the issue. Thus,
    we have determined to respond in several ways.
    One way in which you can help us is write a letter to the Times-Delphic.
    They must be in by 12:00 PM tonight to make Thursday's T-D. The e-mail address
    to send your letters to is delphic@drake.edu. Again, YOU MUST SEND THEM IN
    TONIGHT!!
    We cannot let these Ann Coulter and Bill O'Reilly wannabes get away with this.
    Please take five minutes and let the T-D and all of campus know that political
    hate speech will not be accepted at Drake University.
    Additionally, we call on Drake College Republicans to denounce the language
    used by "Citizens For Tight Borders." The group was created by present and
    former members of their organization. As such, we will have to assume that
    College Republicans condone such hateful language until we hear otherwise.
    Finally, we call on Drake Administration to censure this group in the same way
    that they censured DUIN last year when it contained offensive language.
    Since "Citizens For Tight Borders" has temporary organizational recognition by
    the University, this step is not out of line.

Mitchell C. Stehlik
    Vice-President Drake Democrats

William.

I thought about making it "students" when we were brainstorming names. I left it "citizens" because I wanted the group to also try educating community members through events and such.

However, making it "students" might help out with starting up other college groups. I'll run that by the other co-chair and see what she thinks

What do the rest of you guys think? Do you think I should change this to "students" and work with college students specificly?

This Mitchell Stehlik is a real piece of work. He calls your racist and filled with hate because of the word invasion? I've never seen the word invasion associated with the word racism before. Very creating.

Is that deadline tonight? Would you like me to send your school newspaper a letter?

Stehlik contradicts himself in this e-mail. He believes in free speech but he wants you censured by the faculty?

The University cannot prohibit you from posting these without opening themselves to full all out lawsuit.

Stehlik has nothing to ad to the discussion except to call names like racist hoping that the magic word will make you bow down.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Blueman,

What other words in your posters do they consider offensive?

W

William,

You and anyone else from this site are free to email the campus newspaper. Our campus newspaper is a real piece of work and isn't very good at all. You're good with your wording anyways so I'm sure they won't have anything to even say about it.

I think the deadline is tonight, they were referring to getting comments in the Thursday issue (paper is printed monday and thursday).

I'm going to email our college republican group and encourage them to stand firm on this issue. I think they will so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for your support on this.

Banned
    William is right, Blueman. He brings nothing to the table except hollow accusations that are factually false. This would be a good debate topic should you 'throw down the gauntlet'. Your facts are clear and your purpose true, methinks you've got his number.

And I say change the name to 'Citizen Students for Tight Borders'.

...can't vote?.......can't play.......

William,

I'm going to copy what the newspaper and editorial writers said in todays issue and post it. Check back in a bit and it should be up.

Great!

iamblueman4,

keep it up! this is good stuff!

you may want to emphasize that your anti ILLEGAL alien, not anti-immigrant.

Mass_Citizen

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast