Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Arpaio's Deputies, Posse :150 arrests (Update) 4

Arpaio's Deputies, Posse Expand Patrols
    MCSO Responds To Business Owners' Complaints

POSTED: 10:53 am MST March 20, 2008
    UPDATED: 12:27 pm MST March 20, 2008

PHOENIX -- Nearly 200 sheriff's deputies and posse members are poised to launch a new patrol in two areas of Phoenix after business owners complained of rising crime, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said.

Owners complained of increases in criminal activity and other problems largely related to illegal immigrants and day laborers in their neighborhoods, the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office said.

Arpaio said he will send hundreds of volunteer armed posse men and women along with several ICE-trained deputies to saturate the two areas beginning Friday at 4 p.m.

"Businesses owners in these two parts of Phoenix have indicated to me that they are extremely frustrated with the growing problems associated with illegal immigration," Arpaio said. "They say they feel that only this Sheriff's Office will provide the kind of law enforcement help they want and need to reduce the problems."

Arpaio said the operation is a repeat of the Thomas Road mobilization that occurred late last year when owners of Pruitt's Furniture Store appealed to Arpaio for help with their day laborer-related problems. During that operation, more than 134 of people were arrested and booked into jail, 94 of whom were determined to be illegal immigrants.

"Any illegal immigrant whom we come across in the course of our crime suppression program in these two Valley areas will be arrested and taken directly to jail," Arpaio said.

Arpaio said the operation will also include the enforcement of the new employer sanctions law that went into effect in January.

Last week alone, seven people in various parts of the Valley were arrested by sheriff's deputies for illegally gaining employment through fake documentation, Arpaio said.

Over the past weekend, 127 suspected illegal immigrants were booked into Fourth Avenue Jail.
    Copyright 2008 by KPHO.com. All rights reserved.
    This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.kpho.com/news/15654544/detail.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Arpaio said he will send hundreds of volunteer armed posse men and women along with several ICE-trained deputies to saturate the two areas beginning Friday at 4 p.m.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Digg| Save| License| Print| E-mail|
    Double-click any word or phrase in the story to search this site.March 20, 2008 - 8:28PM
    Opposing groups to collide at day laborer sites
    Comments 2| Recommend 0
    Paul Giblin, Tribune
    Sheriff’s deputies and immigrant advocates are on a collision course that will send them to two busy intersections in Phoenix where day laborers gather.

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said he plans to dispatch nearly 200 deputies and armed posse members to the areas to patrol for possible criminal activity by illegal immigrants starting today.

Immigrant advocates countered that they’re sending observers armed with video cameras to monitor law-enforcement officials for civil-rights violations.

The Sheriff’s Office operation is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m. at North 32nd Street and East Thomas Road, less than a mile from M.D. Pruitt’s furniture store, where a similar operation provoked heated exchanges and attracted national headlines last year.

Arpaio will send patrols to the intersection of North 32nd Street and East Bell Road two or three days later, though a specific date has yet to be determined.

Arpaio said he welcomed the scrutiny.

“They have the right to do what they want to do. Bring all the cameras they want. I hope it’s in color,â€

Arpaio launches undocumented immigration sweep in Valley
    Reported by: Christina Boomer
    Produced by: Tony Arranaga
    Last Update: 6:37 pm

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio launches another immigration sweep in the Valley on Friday.

Business owners have complained about rising crime connected with undocumented immigrants in the area.

Opposing groups are on guard and ready to protest.

Those groups met with reporters on Wednesday with a message for Arpaio saying, "We'll be watching."

Lydia Guzman believes that Arpaio is breaking the law. "He is not the hero that he talks himself up to be."

Late last year, Arpaio reacted to email he says he received from a Central Phoenix business.

In the email, a business owner complained about the day laborers around 32nd Street and Thomas.

The owner claims the day laborers were causing problems and harassing customers.

The sheriff's office increased patrols in the area and over a period of several weeks, arrested more than 100 people and 94 of them were undocumented immigrants.

Now the sheriff is at it again, in a similar scenario with businesses not only in the central part of the Valley, but also to the north.

Opposing groups are outraged. "He's a villain, he's a criminal, and he's violating the law."

"They call me a racist, they call me KKK...they call me a Nazi," says Arpaio. "That's not going to deter me from doing my job. It's very simple. I will continue to enforce the immigration laws."

Arpaio continued to say that 140 of his deputies are trained in federal immigration laws.

However, close to 200 deputies set up the command post at 32nd street and Thomas, along with jail wagons, to launch the event.

www.abc15.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Crime sweep proceeding despite feud

Crime sweep proceeding despite feud
    JJ Hensley
    The Arizona Republic
    Mar. 21, 2008 02:54 PM

A day after a conflict between the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office and Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon spilled over into a verbal sparring match, Sheriff Joe Arpaio is deploying 200 members of his civilian posse and deputies to saturate two areas in north and central Phoenix where day laborers congregate.

Arpaio claims the effort came as a result of business operators complaining to his office about laborers loitering, littering and committing petty thefts in an area between Bell and Thomas roads and 25th and 36th streets.

The operation was scheduled to begin at 4 p.m. today.

Gordon said on Thursday that he wanted Arpaio to work with the Phoenix Police Department instead of planning enforcement efforts without their knowledge.

Arpaio shot back that Phoenix Police were well aware of his "crime-suppression efforts" and that the department didn't have the manpower to commit to such an operation on its own. Arpaio's office initiated similar sweeps last year at a furniture store near 36th Street and Thomas Road, efforts that drew protests by immigrant-rights advocates and counterprotests by foes of illegal immigration.

Phoenix Police learned about the Sheriff's department's Good Friday operation because of its sheer magnitude, said Sgt. Joel Tranter, a department spokesman.

"It's not like we're not aware of it because it was highly publicized," Tranter said. "He has concurrent jurisdiction anywhere in the county and the sheriff can apply resources as he sees fit."

The Sheriff's publicity machine also caught the eye of immigrant-rights groups that vowed to monitor the operation, keeping a close eye on deputies and posse members in case their actions veer toward racial profiling.

As he has done in the past, Arpaio vowed that his critics won't deter his efforts to go after Valley residents who might be in the country illegally, whether that criticism comes from citizens or elected officials.

"I don't know why he's taking shots at me," Arpaio said about Gordon. "Well, I do know why, because he doesn't like me enforcing the illegal immigrants. He doesn't have 200 people that he could send to do a crime suppression program. He ought to be thanking me."

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... 21-ON.html

Arpaio's saturation patrols continue in Phoenix
    Reported by: Katrina Wessman
    Email: kwessman@abc15.com
    Last Update: 12:03 pm

The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office completed the first day of saturation patrols in Phoenix on Friday.
    Related Links
    Arpaio launches undocumented immigration sweep in Valley
    The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office completed the first day of saturation patrols in Phoenix on Friday.

Sheriff's deputies arrested a total of 34 suspects.

Out of the 34 arrests, 24 are suspected of being in the United States illegally.

Nine of the people suspected in being in the country illegally were arrested on state charges including drug possession and reckless driving.

Ten U.S. citizens were arrested for charges including outstanding felony drug warrants and DUIs.

The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office will continue the saturation patrols near 32nd St and Thomas Road on Saturday.

Deputy Sheriffs and posse members are patrolling the neighborhood in an effort to help local business owners.

"I am returning to check on the progress of our dedicated deputies and posse members, and to meet with my commanders about future operational periods," says Sheriff Joe Arpaio.

Copyright 2008 The E.W. Scripps Co. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    Save/Share Story
    digg reddit
    newsvine Google
    del.icio.us Yahoo!

http://www.abc15.com/news/local/story.a ... 822027a050

Senior Member ourcountrynottheirs's Avatar
    Can't deport 12 million?? Little by little. Day by Day. Enforce the laws and they'll go away.

Lydia Guzman believes that Arpaio is breaking the law. "He is not the hero that he talks himself up to be."
    HAHAHAHAHA oh my, I cannot believe she is that blind! The Sheriff, a legal American citizen, is breaking the law? ROFL! HELLO? Ms. Guzman? What are the ILLEGAL aliens doing? They're breaking the law, dear. Do you know the difference?

GO SHERIFF JOE!!
    "

Keep up the great work Joe....we need at least one of him in every town!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

JAK
    "ILLEGAL ALIENS" are breaking the law...but your blind to this one!!!
    Sheriff Arpaio is "ENFORCING THE LAW!"

"He is not the hero that he talks himself up to be."
    He certainly is one of mine!!!

Sheriff Arpaio is an American Hero!!!!! In my book!!!
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast