Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Activists plan border protest (protest against MMP)

http://www.sbsun.com/Stories/0,1413,208 ... 73,00.html

Activists plan border protests

By Brenda Gazzar, Staff Writer

SAN BERNARDINO - A largely Latino network of activists is preparing to protest on both sides of the border a partially armed civilian border-patrol operation that aims to deter illegal immigration.
    Protest activities next month, spearheaded by the National Alliance for Human Rights, will include rallies and vigils in border cities like Douglas, Ariz., and in Agua Prieta, Mexico, to counter the Minuteman Project, which is expected to draw about 1,000 people from across the country to monitor and report illegal crossings during April.

Latino activists plan to protest today in the Aliso Viejo neighborhood of Minuteman Project founder James Gilchrist, activists announced at a San Bernardino news conference Friday. They also plan to form a patrol of their own at the Arizona-Mexican border to monitor the situation and warn border crossers of the Minuteman Project operation.

All protests will be nonviolent, organizers said.

The network's activists say they will also ask federal and state agencies to put a stop to the Minuteman Project.

"We are going to be doing this mobilization on the border because we think these domestic terrorists are very dangerous and are trying to privatize the actions of the Border Patrol,' said Felipe Aguirre, state chairman of the Partido de la Revolucion Democratica in California.

Minuteman Project volunteers will assemble peacefully, as is their First Amendment right, said Gilchrist, a retired Orange County accountant.

"We are using something similar to the Martin Luther King philosophy where you bring your case to the public peacefully,' Gilchrist said. "You don't go around wrecking people's property. ... You do it peacefully and consistently.'

While the project's Web site formerly stated that volunteers would verbally confront border crossers, that statement was removed and is no longer the policy, Gilchrist said.

"The policy is this: No confrontation, No contact, No intimidation. You observe. You report and you let Border Patrol do the interception and the confrontation. That's their job' he said.

The Minuteman Project's mission is to show that a significant presence can effectively seal the border and reduce unauthorized border crossings, Gilchrist said.

About 10percent of volunteers have said they will be armed, but participants have been told not to initiate contact with border crossers or remove weapons from holsters, said David Heppler, safety and security coordinator of the Minuteman Project.

The American Friends Service in San Diego plans to send three people to Arizona to support local groups monitoring the situation, to make sure that any potential violations of law or abuse are documented, said Christian Ramirez, the organization's director.

Ramirez and Armando Navarro, of the National Alliance, say the Minuteman Project is a dangerous, vigilante operation that could result in human rights abuses.

"They have every right to protest on the issue of immigration, but when you start entering the equation the use of weapons, and paramilitary tactics and the kind of harassment and intimidation that's part of their modus operandi, it becomes a question of legality,' Navarro said this week.

Minuteman Project organizers say they will abuse no one's rights, and simply want to send a message about the country's national security and the risk of terrorism from the nation's porous southern border.

"We have already accomplished bringing national awareness to the illegal alien invasion crisis,' Gilchrist said. "We have done it 100 fold more than we thought we would ever do.'

gp
    i've got 10$ that says their protest gets more coverage than mmp does......

"We have already accomplished bringing national awareness to the illegal alien invasion crisis,' Gilchrist said. "We have done it 100 fold more than we thought we would ever do.'"

What a guy ! You have got to respect Jim.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Jim has a point

Just think of how much money it would have costs for all of the media coverage that the opposition as brought! They have only made it worse on themselves in my book and spent their OWN money doing it. Now more Americans than ever see them for what they are and are mad as
    H _ _ _! This is only UNITES US MORE and makes me more determined than ever to push for immigration reforms! They have shot themselves in the foot so to speak.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God

well, first of all, i'd like to introduce myself. My name is Kayla and i am a proud mexican-american, born and raised in California. Getting to the subject, it hurts to see my people suffer ofcourse and well, i wish that they would go about it a different way, like trying to come here legally. I understand their frustration though because my mother tried to apply for citizenship a few years back and we all saw her frustation. I DO NOT agree with civilians taking the law into their own hands, leave it to the border patrol. And i doubt you all have heard this, but it was on our spanish news channel (noticiero univision) about a 30yr old mexican immigrant who was shot in the leg by a sheriff in Florida, im not sure where exactly. So he was shot about a year ago and is being denied medical care. Mind you, they have found that he was not under the influence of drugs or alchohol. Even though he is an illegal immigrant, they should help him because he's still a human.Like it or not, latinos are no longer the minority..we are the majority. It's about time that we get some recognition and are seen for more than being gang members or what have you. Well, i hope you can just think about what i said..but thats just my 2 cents. We're all entitled to our own opinions right. thanks..

Re: Jim has a point

Quote Originally Posted by ohflyingone
    Just think of how much money it would have costs for all of the media coverage that the opposition as brought! They have only made it worse on themselves in my book and spent their OWN money doing it. Now more Americans than ever see them for what they are and are mad as
    H _ _ _! This is only UNITES US MORE and makes me more determined than ever to push for immigration reforms! They have shot themselves in the foot so to speak.

MORE AMERICANS ARE SEEING US FOR WHAT WE ARE? WHAT EXACTLY IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN? LET ME KNOW "WHAT WE REALLY ARE"

SophisticatedLatina,

I would first like to say that if you were born in this country, you are a Native American of Mexican heritage. Your people are the American people.

The Constitution of the United States of America allows for American citizens to protect this countries borders. The Minuteman Project is doing nothing illegal. They are like a neighborhood watch. Only on a national level.

As for Univision, they also said that Presidente Fox provided cash and schooling for 500,000 lower class Mexican Nationals. They called it Operation Hope or something similar. Like the alleged shooting in Florida, I don't believe it. If the shooting had really happened, the Anti-Civil Liberties Union would have been on it like stink on sh!t.

You seem like a nice enough person, you just need to lose that chip on your shoulder.
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Pat your enemies on the back until the right time comes, then take your revenge like a tiger. Never forget who conned you, hurt you or cheated you, regardless of who they are."

Re: Jim has a point

Now more Americans than ever see them for what they are and are mad as
    H _ _ _!

SophisticatedLatina said,
    "MORE AMERICANS ARE SEEING US FOR WHAT WE ARE? WHAT EXACTLY IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN? LET ME KNOW "WHAT WE REALLY ARE

Answer:
    That would be the mainstream media.
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Pat your enemies on the back until the right time comes, then take your revenge like a tiger. Never forget who conned you, hurt you or cheated you, regardless of who they are."

Welcome SophisticatedLatina.

Please keep in mind that many of the Spanish TV networks are very politically biased. They make their money from Spanish speaking audiences in the US, therefore they want more Spanish speaking consumers.

We do not deny medical treatment to illegal aliens. The source that told you that is telling a LIE.

In fact, the American taxpayers are being forced to spend billions of dollars on health care for illegal aliens and it is breaking our system down. There will be no more 'free healthcare' soon because the entire system is in danger in many states.

In fact, we are even providing healthcare form large regions of northern Mexico. When Mexican ambulances come to border crossings and say that the nearest hospital is in the US we honor international treatise and let the ambulances through to go to a US hospital.

I will shed no tears over a lie Unavision tells their viewers about someone that was denied medical treatment when I know that would be a violation of US Federal law.

Does Mexico have such a law? If I go on vacation in Mexico and broke my leg and had no money on me, would Mexico treat me and pay for it?

William Gheen
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

SophisticatedLatina,
    Welcome to our web site,

"So he was shot about a year ago and is being denied medical care. Mind you, they have found that he was not under the influence of drugs or alchohol. Even though he is an illegal immigrant, they should help him because he's still a human."

AS a 30 year American Law Enforcement Officer, I can tell you that this is pure BS. I am sorry we are not like Mexican Law Enforcement Criminals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast