Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions stands firm as roadblock to immig

Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions stands firm as roadblock to immigration reform

Published: Thursday, December 09, 2010, 6:35 PM
    Mary Orndorff -- The Birmingham News
    9 comments

WASHINGTON -- As the congressional clock ticks toward the end of the session, a Democratic priority is to give certain young illegal immigrants a shot at citizenship, a debate that has reprised Sen. Jeff Sessions' role as lead critic of immigration reform.

The U.S. House passed the Dream Act Wednesday night, and the Senate on Thursday decided to drop its version and take up the House bill instead, making it one of the most controversial things left on President Barack Obama's to-do list while Democrats still control both chambers.

The bill would give legal status to undocumented young adults who were brought to the United States as children, as long as they attend college or join the military. It has been promoted by the Obama administration and immigration advocates as a fair and compassionate way to treat a relatively small cross section of the illegal population: ambitious young people who grew up in the United States who want to attend college or join the military and become legal, contributing members of society.

"Members on both sides of the aisle need to ask themselves if we can afford to say to these talented young men and women, 'There is no place in America for you,'" said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev.

But Sessions, R-Ala., has camped out on the Senate floor this week, again, calling the Dream Act a loophole-laden mass amnesty. He played a similar high-profile role when a broader immigration bill was defeated in 2006 and 2007 despite support from then-President George W. Bush.

"Americans want Congress to end the lawlessness, but this bill would have us surrender to it. It is a give-up type of approach," Sessions said.

Sessions complains that any proposal that rewards lawbreakers -- even those who were brought across the border as young children -- should be rejected until illegal immigration is stopped. He said the Dream Act provides no way to verify that applicants qualify for the deal. They had to arrive in the country when they were 15 or younger, stay in the country for at least five years, be younger than 29 when they apply, finish high school and complete two years of college or military service.

"It says if you can get in the United States and hang on for a number of years, sooner or later we are going to reward you by forgiving your illegal behavior and putting you on a path to citizenship. That is not the message we need to send," Sessions said.

Various White House officials and Obama himself have rejected Sessions' assertion that the bill amounts to amnesty for millions.

"The Dream Act is not amnesty; it's about accountability, and about tapping into a pool of talent we've already invested in," Obama said in a prepared statement after the House vote Wednesday. "The Dream Act is a piece of a larger debate that is needed to restore responsibility and accountability to our broken immigration system broadly."

Republican opposition to the bill has been firm in the Senate and even a few Democrats are opposed, making its approval unlikely.

In the House vote Wednesday night, Rep. Artur Davis, D-Birmingham, was the only Alabama member to support the House version. Opposed were: Rep. Jo Bonner, R-Mobile; Rep. Bobby Bright, D-Montgomery; Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Saks; Rep Robert Aderholt, R-Haleyville; and Rep. Spencer Bachus, R-Vestavia Hills. Rep. Parker Griffith, R-Huntsville, did not vote.

http://blog.al.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

If anyone wants to thank Senator Sessions via email please feel free.

http://sessions.senate.gov/public/index ... .ContactMe
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Good idea jean.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Thank you jean I just sent him a letter
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Thank you Jean I just sent him a letter.

Yep, I sent him a letter too. I'm glad someone in Washington cares!

You're welcome everyone.

As in life, sometimes we get too caught up with criticism and forget to balance with compliments.

Added to the Homepage:
    http://www.alipac.us/article-5925--0-0.html

JAK
    Just emailed Senator Sessions.
    Thanks Jean!
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Illegals go home and do not come back never again

We support Senator Sessions. The GOP must block this madness. We must not tolerate illegal immigration. We must seal the border. We must enforce the laws to deport all illegal aliens. We cannot do this with the Democrats because they will always support amnesty for illegal aliens. We have to do it with the GOP in the Congress and the WHite House, and the Department of Justice. Holder is inept. In 2012 let's clean house and send to the US Congress people who will stop illegal immigration. And we have to replace Obama because he will always support amnesty for illegal aliens. Obama is not working for US citizens; he is working for illegal aliens. That we do not tolerate. GOP: Block the Dream Act once and for all. And send Pelosi to California and Reid to Nevada. We do not need them.

Illegals

I did call Senator Sessions and left a message on his voice mail. I told him I will support him 100%.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast