Bill Clinton Sees Immigration Reform Under Obama Or McCain

Aug 4, 2008

By Paul Kiernan, Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

MEXICO CITY -(Dow Jones)- Former U.S. President Bill Clinton said Monday he expects either Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., or Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., to pass an immigration reform law quickly, whoever wins the presidential election.

"I believe that whichever one of the American candidates is elected for president, they will succeed in passing soon - sometime early next year - an immigration reform," Clinton said at a press conference in Mexico City, adding that such legislation would lead to a "substantial improvement in the management of that problem, for both countries."

Clinton also brushed aside the possibility that Democrat Obama may lose ground to Republican rival McCain in the race for U.S. Hispanic votes by not visiting Mexico, as McCain did earlier this month.

"Just like I don't think you can say Sen. McCain doesn't want the votes of German-Americans in Milwaukee because he hasn't been to Germany yet," Clinton said. "I assure you (Obama) is interested in a good relationship with Mexico and a positive relationship with the Hispanic community in our own country," he added.

Clinton, who came to Mexico City to speak at the International AIDS conference and to announce a $50 million investment through his charitable foundation in sustainable development in Latin America, said he sees either of the two major- party candidates increasing development assistance in other parts of the world.

"(The two candidates) seem both very committed to the so-called soft-power issues," he said. "I think they understand - and Americans understand now - that we do very well when people think we're on their side."

www.nasdaq.com