Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Boehner Refuses to Rule Out ‘Clean’ DHS Funding Bill

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Boehner Refuses to Rule Out ‘Clean’ DHS Funding Bill

Boehner Refuses to Rule Out ‘Clean’ DHS Funding Bill

By Matt Fuller Posted at 11:30 a.m. on Jan. 13
    Roll Call
    Boehner wouldn’t rule out a “clean” Homeland Security funding bill. (Bill Clark/CQ Roll Call File Photo)

Speaker John A. Boehner wouldn’t rule out Tuesday the possibility the House may have to pass a Department of Homeland Security funding bill that does not block President Barack Obama’s executive action on immigration.

That could dampen the enthusiasm of some hard-line conservatives in the House, who were practically ecstatic on Jan. 9 with an emerging GOP strategy to hold votes to defund the president’s executive action and a number of other immigration provisions. But on Tuesday, the speaker was noncommittal.

“Our goal here is to fund the Department of Homeland Security,” the Ohio Republican said. “Our second goal is to stop the president’s executive overreach.”

When Boehner was pressed on whether he would put a “clean” funding bill on the floor before the agency runs out of money at the end of next month, he said Republicans have “this year’s process — fiscal year’s process — and we have next year’s fiscal year process.”

Pressed again, this time with a yes or no ultimatum of whether he would put a straight DHS funding bill on the floor before Feb. 28, Boehner first made a small joke — “Oh, oh, now we have a new question” — and then he refused to give that elusive yes or no answer. Instead, he provided his ordered preference to fund DHS, and then, as a “second goal,” stop Obama’s executive action.
    Boehner and Republicans know Obama almost certainly won’t sign a funding bill defunding his executive action, and building a veto-proof majority in both the House and Senate seems improbable. That is, if the Senate could muster 60 votes to pass such a bill in the first place.

Either way, the House is expected to start the process Wednesday when it passes the DHS funding bill and hold amendment votes attacking a bevy of immigration provisions from the Obama administration.

http://blogs.rollcall.com/218/boehne...ing-bill/?dcz=
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

What is wrong with this man? Really? If you appropriate an illegal action, then you are guilty of the illegal action. Is this what you want on your Tombstone one day, Boehner? "The mob showed up and I bought in." "They rattled my cage so I let them have my meat." "I'm tough when no one is pressing me." "I could take the heat in the kitchen until someone turns it on." "I made hard decisions on non-issues." "I could lead when no one was ahead of me."

There are three characteristics essential to leadership in almost every walk of life and they are:

1. natural ability to persuade those who disagree with you
    2. negotiation skills to complete a deal
    3. knowing when to answer a question and when to ask one

And the nation that used to be known as the leader of the free world is now in the grasp of a Speaker of the House who is displaying almost daily that he lacks all three.
    Last edited by Judy; 01-14-2015 at 04:49 PM.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Boehner are you going to once again throw the American people under the bus? You say one thing and do another, what are they holding over your head?? H-m-m-m, I wonder......

Quote Originally Posted by military girl View Post
    Boehner are you going to once again throw the American people under the bus? You say one thing and do another, what are they holding over your head?? H-m-m-m, I wonder......
    Throwing America's middle class under the bus has been republican policy since Ragan fired the air traffic controllers three decades ago!

MW
    This is exactly why I think Boehner supported including the DACCA (sp?) ammendment in the bill. It is my thought that it was his intention to sabotage the bill from the beginning. By including the DACCA amendment, he pretty much made it dead on arrival in the Senate. He knows the bill will fall short of the 60 votes needed with that amendment included.

Let me make this clear before folks get the wrong idea. I DO NOT support the legalization of ANY illegal immigrant, to include those that came here as children.

By best hope scenario for halting Obama's amnesty giveaway was to gain enough support in the U.S. Congress (bill passing both the House and Senate) to force Obama's hand on his veto threat. I was hoping to see a ground swell of opposition from the American public to veto promise, thus forcing him to reconsider his position. Now, I can almost promise you that the bill, as passed by the House, will not reach Obama's desk for signature. Boehner knew that when he included the DACCA amendment. It is my belief, at a minimum, that amendment will be stripped from the bill and more than likely the other amendment too when the bill is sent back to the U.S. House. If that happens the American public loses and Obama wins. Of course all Boehner has to do is say ...... hey, I tried.

Heck, I hate being so pessimistic, but we've just been burned too many times. I hope I'm wrong and Boehner sticks to his guns. Personally, if I was him, I wouldn't be afraid to take the blame for not funding DHS. As we've all seen before, the voting public has a very short memory (unfortunately). Getting a bill to halt the amnesty for 5 million illegals through the Senate is very important because if Obama vetoed it, the blame for closing down DHS would rest firmly on his shoulders and the American public is smart enough to understand that.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This whole thing now hinges on Boehner caving in and he is telling us his role in that is already cast.

If he was actually a geniuine person with a backbone the Senate and Obama would have to pass that bill or be the ones to shut down DHS!

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)